The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

I am trying to arrange Wave in the key of c so I can keep it as close to the 1st position as possible. Could someone please post the chart of this tune in c. Jazz standard charts has it in d but many of the chords are unreadable......thanks....Dan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Richie Zellons recently uploaded a very detailed lesson on "Wave." He plays it in the original key. I think you'll change your mind about going through the trouble of transposing it to "C" after watching.

Thanks Jack but that arrangement is way out of my league and would be very difficult on classical guitar

User Info Menu

Chords in C.

Wave (Jobim)-f9c63bdc-f14d-47f0-bd05-ede04a0f8339-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    Thanks Jack but that arrangement is way out of my league and would be very difficult on classical guitar
    Did you watch the video till the end? He explains how to simplify it.

Almost all Bossa Nova's were written and played on classical guitars. I understand that this arrangement might be above your current level of playing (just about everything is certainly above my level ). But I don't understand why you're saying it would be more difficult on a classical guitar. Not trying to start an argument. Just curious. Is there something specific that he's doing that would be more difficult to play on a classical?

User Info Menu

I recorded this in a post on sound. It is on youtube but just see this thread.
    Is it possible ~ 1950’s Cutaway D’Angelico for around $20,000

Not great but shows I did not read it up one octave.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Chords in C.

Wave (Jobim)-f9c63bdc-f14d-47f0-bd05-ede04a0f8339-jpg
    Fm7/G#

Mostly kidding!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Fm7/G#

Mostly kidding!
    Big Daddy

Fm7/G# is G# lyd

The chord stretches look tough for a classical and I try to play as much as I can near the first position so I can read the arrangement....thanks....Dan

Thanks for the chord chart....a whole lot easier to read than what I was working with....Dan

User Info Menu

Fm7/G#

Mostly kidding!
    Yeah, that's supposed to be E#m7/G#

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    I am trying to arrange Wave in the key of c so I can keep it as close to the 1st position as possible. Could someone please post the chart of this tune in c. Jazz standard charts has it in d but many of the chords are unreadable......thanks....Dan
    Hi Dan,

I found attached in Wikifonia database and transposed it to C.

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Paul, thanks a million for the chart in C. My transposing skills aren't so great and now I can quit struggling with it and figure out how to play this lovely tune....Dan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10
    Hi Dan,

I found attached in Wikifonia database and transposed it to C.

Paul
    I got a bone to pick with that arrangement. Measure #6 is supposed to have a diminished arpeggio: F-Ab-B-D, but it's written with an Anat, and the chord is even G9, not G7b9 (or Abdim7). I couldn't look past that measure. Do folks really play it like that? The diminished arp there, is, to me, the signature of the tune. That, and in measures ... #15-16. Oh no ...

User Info Menu

Yikes that arrangement is seriously messed up. I went into Band In A Box and transposed to C and made a PDF. This looks correct to me. The tune should really play just fine in C, though the bridge might have to go down an octave, which could detract a little from how pretty it sounds.
    Wave-C.pdf

User Info Menu

I got a bone to pick with that arrangement. Measure #6 is supposed to have a diminished arpeggio: F-Ab-B-D, but it's written with an Anat, and the chord is even G9, not G7b9 (or Abdim7). I couldn't look past that measure. Do folks really play it like that? The diminished arp there, is, to me, the signature of the tune. That, and in measures ... #15-16. Oh no ...
    I take no responsibility for the arrangement! I just found it and had it transposed since Dan asked!

User Info Menu

Great song. It reminds me of when I was really you and going to my friend's house in the mid 1980s. They used to play this kind of stuff.

User Info Menu

I take no responsibility for the arrangement! I just found it and had it transposed since Dan asked!
    Maybe the name of it should be changed. How 'bout "Huevo"?

User Info Menu

Maybe the name of it should be changed. How 'bout "Huevo"?
    What's that saying? No good deed goes unpunished!!

User Info Menu

What's that saying? No good deed goes unpunished!!

User Info Menu

Not punny at all!

User Info Menu

Not punny at all!
    What about the frenchman who only ate one egg for breakfast, because one egg was "un oeuf"?

User Info Menu

What about the frenchman who only ate one egg for breakfast, because one egg was "un oeuf"?
    Now I admit I had to google this to know, but that really is punny!!

Lawson, thanks.....that chart looks fine to me and I will work on it this evening after work

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    Richie Zellons recently uploaded a very detailed lesson on "Wave." He plays it in the original key. I think you'll change your mind about going through the trouble of transposing it to "C" after watching.

I just got around to checking this out. It's a very cool arrangement, and I found it considerably easier to learn than I expected. He's got lots of open strings, and there are no big stretches or position shifts. I realize, Jazzdan, you have your own way, but based on what you've posted in past, this strikes as within reach. You can use your ears and/or your eyes -- Richie demos it quite slowly in 4-bar chunks and has the chart written out in standard notation as he plays. It's not in first/open position with "cowboy" style chords, but it sits pretty much in one part of the neck, and the chords that look exotic when he plays the arrangement at tempo turn out to be pretty simple. Worth a shot, IMO.

John