Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wave

Wave

I am trying to arrange Wave in the key of c so I can keep it as close to the 1st position as possible. Could someone please post the chart of this tune in c. Jazz standard charts has it in d but many of the chords are unreadable......thanks....Dan

Richie Zellons recently uploaded a very detailed lesson on "Wave." He plays it in the original key. I think you'll change your mind about going through the trouble of transposing it to "C" after watching.

Nice

Thanks Jack but that arrangement is way out of my league and would be very difficult on classical guitar

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan View Post
    Thanks Jack but that arrangement is way out of my league and would be very difficult on classical guitar
    Did you watch the video till the end? He explains how to simplify it.

Almost all Bossa Nova's were written and played on classical guitars. I understand that this arrangement might be above your current level of playing (just about everything is certainly above my level ). But I don't understand why you're saying it would be more difficult on a classical guitar. Not trying to start an argument. Just curious. Is there something specific that he's doing that would be more difficult to play on a classical?

I recorded this in a post on sound. It is on youtube but just see this thread.
    Is it possible ~ 1950’s Cutaway D’Angelico for around $20,000

Not great but shows I did not read it up one octave.
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Chords in C.

Wave-f9c63bdc-f14d-47f0-bd05-ede04a0f8339-jpg
    Fm7/G#

Mostly kidding!
    Build bridges, not walls.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Fm7/G#

Mostly kidding!
    Big Daddy

Fm7/G# is G# lyd

wave

The chord stretches look tough for a classical and I try to play as much as I can near the first position so I can read the arrangement....thanks....Dan

chord chart

Thanks for the chord chart....a whole lot easier to read than what I was working with....Dan

Fm7/G#

Mostly kidding!
    Yeah, that's supposed to be E#m7/G#

John

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan View Post
    I am trying to arrange Wave in the key of c so I can keep it as close to the 1st position as possible. Could someone please post the chart of this tune in c. Jazz standard charts has it in d but many of the chords are unreadable......thanks....Dan
    Hi Dan,

I found attached in Wikifonia database and transposed it to C.

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wave in C

Hey Paul, thanks a million for the chart in C. My transposing skills aren't so great and now I can quit struggling with it and figure out how to play this lovely tune....Dan

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10 View Post
    Hi Dan,

I found attached in Wikifonia database and transposed it to C.

Paul
    I got a bone to pick with that arrangement. Measure #6 is supposed to have a diminished arpeggio: F-Ab-B-D, but it's written with an Anat, and the chord is even G9, not G7b9 (or Abdim7). I couldn't look past that measure. Do folks really play it like that? The diminished arp there, is, to me, the signature of the tune. That, and in measures ... #15-16. Oh no ...

Yikes that arrangement is seriously messed up. I went into Band In A Box and transposed to C and made a PDF. This looks correct to me. The tune should really play just fine in C, though the bridge might have to go down an octave, which could detract a little from how pretty it sounds.
    Wave-C.pdf
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

I got a bone to pick with that arrangement. Measure #6 is supposed to have a diminished arpeggio: F-Ab-B-D, but it's written with an Anat, and the chord is even G9, not G7b9 (or Abdim7). I couldn't look past that measure. Do folks really play it like that? The diminished arp there, is, to me, the signature of the tune. That, and in measures ... #15-16. Oh no ...
    I take no responsibility for the arrangement! I just found it and had it transposed since Dan asked!

Great song. It reminds me of when I was really you and going to my friend's house in the mid 1980s. They used to play this kind of stuff.

I take no responsibility for the arrangement! I just found it and had it transposed since Dan asked!
    Maybe the name of it should be changed. How 'bout "Huevo"?

Maybe the name of it should be changed. How 'bout "Huevo"?
    What's that saying? No good deed goes unpunished!!

What's that saying? No good deed goes unpunished!!

Not punny at all!

Not punny at all!
    What about the frenchman who only ate one egg for breakfast, because one egg was "un oeuf"?

What about the frenchman who only ate one egg for breakfast, because one egg was "un oeuf"?
    Now I admit I had to google this to know, but that really is punny!!

Lawson's Wave

Lawson, thanks.....that chart looks fine to me and I will work on it this evening after work

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue View Post
    Richie Zellons recently uploaded a very detailed lesson on "Wave." He plays it in the original key. I think you'll change your mind about going through the trouble of transposing it to "C" after watching.

I just got around to checking this out. It's a very cool arrangement, and I found it considerably easier to learn than I expected. He's got lots of open strings, and there are no big stretches or position shifts. I realize, Jazzdan, you have your own way, but based on what you've posted in past, this strikes as within reach. You can use your ears and/or your eyes -- Richie demos it quite slowly in 4-bar chunks and has the chart written out in standard notation as he plays. It's not in first/open position with "cowboy" style chords, but it sits pretty much in one part of the neck, and the chords that look exotic when he plays the arrangement at tempo turn out to be pretty simple. Worth a shot, IMO.

John

Surf's up

If I were surfing I wouldn't catch that WAVE....I would wait for one that I could handle. Thanks....Dan

Just put it in E, much easier.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed