The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I've Got the World On A String.....1st half-img_0184-jpgI've Got the World On A String.....1st half-img_0184-jpgI've Got the World On A String.....1st half-img_0184-jpgI've Got the World On A String.....1st half-img_0184-jpgHere is the first half of the tune from a Sinatra lead sheet.....sorry about the 4 copies.....this computer stuff drives me nuts

In the 14th measure the f's should be naturals
    Last edited by jazzdan; 10-03-2018 at 05:31 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks good Dan. Some nice work there!

Hey Paul, any ideas on filling in the 7th and 8th measures?....thanks....Dan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    Hey Paul, any ideas on filling in the 7th and 8th measures?....thanks....Dan

Hmmm.... I'm sitting here at work without a guitar, but how about using tri-tones to do a descending bass line? Start on the E9/B above "Fin"...start with the B then Bb to A (on the "GER") to Ab down to G, then back up to Ab to lead into the Am7 on the next measure? Would keep a moving bass line through it?

So, I it the f# then 2notes of the b then f natural and 2 notes of the bb chord and then e and 2 notes of the a chord.....at this point I am playing the am7 to begin "what a World"

I wish I could see the notation of what you are suggesting....I'm not sure how to write it....maybe triplets?

thanks...Dan

Phlipttt

User Info Menu

I’m trying to make sense of the chart, but the rhythm and phrasing seems really screwed up. For example, “world on a string” should fit in one measure, not two. Yet later you correctly have “song that I sing” fitting in one measure. I suspect you aren’t getting much of a response because others are having a hard time making sense of it. Since you say you are working from a lead sheet, it might help to show that lead sheet.

User Info Menu

It would be a lot easier of everyone to keep this all in one thread, so I moved the chart you posted elsewhere over here and edited for legibility.

So the chart you are working from is written in double time (or double time feel - I’m not sure of the correct term) and the melody appears to have been reinterpreted from the original notes and phrasing. If I were arranging this I’d start with more of straight time vanilla chart.
    Is there a video of this published arrangement somewhere? Listening to that might help.
    I made a quick attempt to play the tune from a more typical fake book chart. The range and jumps in the melody make it devilishly difficult to play as a solo piece, at least for me. It could be fun to try, but there would be a lot of decisions about what chord notes to leave in and out and fingering mechanics to work through.
    Here’s someone who gave it a shot with mixed results.

And another:

And Paul Meyers! But not solo.
    Last edited by KirkP; 10-06-2018 at 03:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Here’s a chart that would be much easier to start with.
    Chord Changes: I'VE GOT THE WORLD ON A STRING | GuitarCats

Kirk: Thanks.....I'll give it a try.....do you have the chart in g....thanks....Dan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    Kirk: Thanks.....I'll give it a try.....do you have the chart in g....thanks....Dan
    Here’s a chord chart in G (transposed in iReal Pro app). Bring the melody down a whole step in the previous chart and you’ll have it all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Here’s a chart that would be much easier to start with.
    Chord Changes: I'VE GOT THE WORLD ON A STRING | GuitarCats
    I was searching this forum for any news on Guitarcats and opened this thread first.
    I love Guitarcats but I can't get it anymore.
    Anyone know what's happened?