The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

he starts singing at 2 and says "oh no" at 2:16 and mmmyesss at 220

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh, right. That's just part of the lyrics. I thought you meant he was making lascivious noises behind her singing...

And at 2.40 he goes 'Oh, no, yes' which was most enlightening

User Info Menu

lascivious— this place is like SAT review sometimes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    lascivious— this place is like SAT review sometimes
    my vocabulary’s gone for a burton

User Info Menu

Well, consider libidinous...

But 'gone for a burton' is much more interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    I can't tell which parts were supposed to be silly and what was just normal dialogue
    ‘Top hole, bally Jerry pranged his kite’ sounds about right. After that it’s complete nonsense!

User Info Menu

Actually, not entirely :-)

User Info Menu

i feel like i'm being japed

User Info Menu

no, some of those terms used may be based on jargon of the time. It’s very cleverly written.

User Info Menu

Joe -

In wartime they really did talk like that. All branches of the services had their own slang and jargon, just like the US services had, and still do today. In some ways, due to the stresses of war, it was almost certainly part of what they call 'survival humour'. It's a way of making a joke of something very serious, given the constant proximity of death.

You're not being japed.

User Info Menu

those ww2 vets are cushtie geezas, i have the fortune of working for some of the few who are left

User Info Menu

My Irish grandad signed up for the war mainly because he was bored and needed a job. (He was from Southern Ireland so he did not have to join up, it was voluntary). He ended up in the Desert Rats and went from North Africa to Italy. He had a few stories to tell! He was at Monte Cassino but survived it (luckily for me!).

My other grandad was a bank clerk who was conscripted as RAF ground crew. So he probably heard that kind of talk a lot!

User Info Menu

My father was in all three services, which is unusual. He started in the navy, decided it wasn't for him and joined the RAF. He flew as a navigator in bombers as far as I know. After the war he went into the army and ended up driving tanks. As a commander, I might add.

But he didn't play jazz guitar, so he wasn't perfect

This is one of my favorite tunes, but I've always just played it really straight, cheesy, and vanilla. Anyway, today I worked on some kind of different things with it and was pleased with some of the ideas, but I never could get a clean take on it.

I tried to put some different harmony on it. I don't know that I'll get to another version, but here's some of today's:

Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 09-17-2018 at 12:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    This is one of my favorite tunes, but I've always just played it really straight, cheesy, and vanilla. Anyway, today I worked on some kind of different things with it and was pleased with some of the ideas, but I never could get a clean take on it.

I tried to put some different harmony on it. I don't know that I'll get to another version, but here's some of today's:

Nice Matt. That Fender guitar brings out a different side of your style. Nice tone. I liked the forward motion and vibrato. This song in particular seems to suit itself well to different tempos and interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10
    Nice Matt. That Fender guitar brings out a different side of your style. Nice tone. I liked the forward motion and vibrato. This song in particular seems to suit itself well to different tempos and interpretations.
    Thanks Paul. Listening back to it the first time , I was kind of surprised at how kind of rock-and-roll Strat-ish it seemed like it was getting. On my other instrument, I have to really work hard to get ANY of that , and on this one I wonder if I need to pull back a little bit. :-)

Really appreciate the kind words.

User Info Menu

Thanks Paul. Listening back to it the first time , I was kind of surprised at how kind of rock-and-roll Strat-ish it seemed like it was getting. On my other instrument, I have to really work hard to get ANY of that , and on this one I wonder if I need to pull back a little bit. :-)

The 6/8 feel gives it a soul feel. I can imagine Ray Charles singing it that way.

User Info Menu

I personally certainly don't think you need to pull back as I love that sound and tone. It's like a bluesy guitar playing a jazz standard. I can almost hear others (bass, etc.) playing along with you. I think I've mentioned this before but your style implies there is more happening than one guitar playing solo. It's a nice ability to have for this chord melody/solo guitar style.

User Info Menu

Since I started this thread, I decided it's about time I at least contribute to it. I wasn't being lazy not contributing (honestly)! I've just been away from all things fun because of work.

I never heard this song before a year or so ago. I like to google threads like "best melodies of all time" and see what songs pop up that I don't know. This one did and I got the lead sheet and learned it never having heard it before. Actually the first rendition I later heard I believe was Walter Rodrigues which blew me away. It's become one of my favorite songs to hear.

This is not my best effort! However, after numerous tries it was apparent my best effort was never going to get recorded today! One trick I sort of learned for myself here is using the tritone sub for the D7 (G#) and C7 (F#) which allows the bass line to descend all the way down from the Am7 to the F. However since I was nervous recording I realized I didn't do very much of that on this today!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Whiteman
    This is so incredibly beautiful Chris. Thanks for posting it here.

I bought your arrangement here when it first came out. It has such wonderful harmonies and instructive ideas. Very helpful. I love your arrangements, your approach to solo guitar and tone. Amazing stuff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Whiteman
    Wow. Just, wow. If someone were to ask me what my goals as a guitar player are, I now have a video to show it.

User Info Menu

I've just discovered this so I think I'll post it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

I just recently did a version of the song with guitar and vocals – so strictly speaking no other instruments

Would be happy for feedback or suggestions.

Here's my take on the song: