The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

Hello All,

Welcome to the Solo Guitar Arranging Group! This is song thread #9, In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning, which was included in a recent poll of song suggestions for the group.

Players of all levels and abilities are welcome to participate here. Please join us!

Also, if you'd like to post arrangements of our prior songs, please do so on those song threads and keep them alive:

#1 Days of Wine and Roses
    #2 Here's That Rainy Day
    #3 Tenderly
    #4 Shadow of your Smile
    #5 Moon River
    #6 Stella by Starlight
    #7 Laura
    #8 Emily

The idea is to start a different song thread periodically and encourage everyone to post a video or recording of how they would play/arrange that particular tune for solo guitar (i.e. with no other accompaniment).

Group Guidelines

Here are general guidelines for the group.

1. All levels of players are strongly encouraged to participate, from beginners on up. We hope the group may even be rewarded occasionally, if not often, with contributions by seasoned pros and prominent guitarists. However, no matter your skill level you are strongly encouraged to join in. If you are open to hearing constructive comments and suggestions from the group, please indicate so in your post (e.g. indicate "c&c welcome" in the title of your post).

2. The arrangement can be easy and simple, or elaborate and complex, or simply playing it on the fly. It’s all about each person’s own interpretation and approach.

3. After posting the arrangement, each person is encouraged to also post (in a video, on a recording or in writing) their approach to the song, or to specific parts of the song. This explanatory content can be in as much or as little detail as desired (or none at all). If the person is seeking specific help from the group this is a good place to ask for it.

4. Written notations of the arrangement are certainly not expected. Each person can decide how to handle any such requests from the group.

5. Future song selections and frequency will be made based on suggestions received and what appears to be a consensus. I’ll try and post a lead sheet for each song selection if that would be helpful. Of course, people can still play the song in any key (or keys) they choose.

6. Encouragement to each person for their contributions are encouraged. Unless the performer indicates a willingness to hear criticisms (see #1 above), participants should not offer criticisms of individual performances. Advice should only be offered if the person specifically asks for it. Even then resist criticizing anything to do with the interpretation or "artsy" side of the performance and comment on techniques and tips instead (for example playing a particular passage or suggesting chord embellishments, etc.)

7. Participation in group discussions is encouraged for all, even if a person does not want to personally post their own arrangements at present for whatever reason.

Goals of Group

1. To encourage each other to become better solo guitar players and to share knowledge and skills in a friendly and helpful setting. If we individually work up an arrangement and then bring it to the group, it will be invaluable to see how people handled the song or specific parts of the song. We will all enhance our guitar skills and vocabulary. New ideas or approaches would even be useful to the most advanced players.

2. To increase our repertoire of solo guitar songs.

3. To build confidence in playing for others, sharing our skills and in recording ourselves.

Since there is a new thread for each song, there is no time pressure to keep up with the group. People can post to each song thread when they’re ready to.

As discussed above, there are separate thread for our prior songs. If you want to post a video or recording of one of those, it’s never too late. Please do so in those threads and help keep them going!

I've attached a lead sheet of In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning if it would be helpful.

We hope everyone will join in and participate however you choose.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

LOL I was waiting for this...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Loved it! Well played!

User Info Menu

Graham! You've gotten younger!

Awesome playing

User Info Menu

Thanks! Actually my hair only went grey since I joined this forum, very odd that.

User Info Menu

Really excellent! Great tone. Very enjoyable! The bar is set awfully high now!!I

User Info Menu

Nice one Graham!

John

User Info Menu

I cooked this one up a little while I was also working Emily. It's a little rough. I may have time to do another, to try to chart progress.

John

User Info Menu

I liked it John, I’d love to see a follow up to hear what you would change.

and how yall gunna tell me “when the whole wide world is fast asleep?” Guess they didn’t have time zones in the 50s

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    I liked it John, I’d love to see a follow up to hear what you would change.

and how yall gunna tell me “when the whole wide world is fast asleep?” Guess they didn’t have time zones in the 50s

Let's put it this way ... the whole wide world ain't exactly woke.

John

User Info Menu

That tune is so awesome, I love the Johnny Hartman version so much... I believe Jim Hall played on that one
    your playing is wonderful and so is the tone

User Info Menu

I took another crack it. My first one struck me as kind of plodding, and there were some spots were the dynamics and/or time were kind of off. For. this version I gave it a little bit of a double- time feel, and I think it swings a little more and feels more coherent.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I took another crack it. My first one struck me as kind of plodding, and there were some spots were the dynamics and/or time were kind of off. For. this version I gave it a little bit of a double- time feel, and I think it swings a little more and feels more coherent.

John
    That was awesome John!!! Loved the voicings and the feel. And your tone is great. Do you have an amp out there with you?

What a very cool setting too for the video. Just chilling out!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10
    That was awesome John!!! Loved the voicings and the feel. And your tone is great. Do you have an amp out there with you?

What a very cool setting too for the video. Just chilling out!
    Thanks a lot Paul. I'm using a Roland Microcube on this. The setting is Fort Tryon Park in upper Manhattan. It's a beautiful spot, and I spend a lot of time there. There are various corners and alcoves where one can hang out undisturbed and it's my go-to spot for practicing in good weather.

John

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot Paul. I'm using a Roland Microcube on this. The setting is Fort Tryon Park in upper Manhattan. It's a beautiful spot, and I spend a lot of time there. There are various corners and alcoves where one can hang out undisturbed and it's my go-to spot for practicing in good weather.

John

Looks like a really beautiful place!

That Roland sounds darn good, as does the guitar. The player helps a lot!!

User Info Menu

Hmmm, nobody else worked on this? Is this study group done for?

John

User Info Menu

John you are my neighbor, let's work on some tunes.... txt me at 718-710-9175
    i'm at dyckman and seaman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    John you are my neighbor, let's work on some tunes.... txt me at 718-710-9175
    i'm at dyckman and seaman
    That would be fun. I'm away until labor day, but will reach out when I'm back.

User Info Menu

John

Hi John,

Appears this solo guitar thread concept needs to go on a hiatus for a while. Perhaps when summer is over and people start spending more time inside with time to spare?

User Info Menu

Hi John,

Appears this solo guitar thread concept needs to go on a hiatus for a while. Perhaps when summer is over and people start spending more time inside with time to spare?
    I'll be honest... something with this group was just not right or comfortable for me. I don't know what, but I felt like the way I was going about it somehow wasn't what was wanted, and that's fine, but I didn't feel much energy to share for whatever reason.

Maybe it's just a phase of my own development as a player, but something was missing for me here.

User Info Menu

John
    Still might get in...last few weeks of summer are crazy around here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'll be honest... something with this group was just not right or comfortable for me. I don't know what, but I felt like the way I was going about it somehow wasn't what was wanted, and that's fine, but I didn't feel much energy to share for whatever reason.

Maybe it's just a phase of my own development as a player, but something was missing for me here.
    You actually put a lot of energy in for the first few threads especially and I for one appreciated your contributions. We've all been feeling our way along to see what this would ultimately turn in to. I enjoy hearing everyone's takes and ideas and, if nothing else, that provides value to participating or just reading.

Hopefully this isn't going away, just taking a breather. It seems activity on JGF as a whole seems down. I assume it's just the time of year.

User Info Menu

You actually put a lot of energy in for the first few threads especially and I for one appreciated your contributions. We've all been feeling our way along to see what this would ultimately turn in to. I enjoy hearing everyone's takes and ideas and, if nothing else, that provides value to participating or just reading.

Hopefully this isn't going away, just taking a breather. It seems activity on JGF as a whole seems down. I assume it's just the time of year.
    Paul, You're right, Lawson-Stone put a lot of energy into posting some of how he was thinking and approaching one of the songs. This was after people suggested that this type of post might be helpful for them. I might not be remembering correctly but I think he took a lot of grief for his efforts. That is when I started losing interest.

There have been some really great songs and performances shared in these threads and I'm hoping after the summer things get moving again. Since the Standard of the Month posts have dropped off too it may just be that everybody's busy during the summer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

I appreciate the effort you put into your posts, especially where you did multiple versions.

John

John
    Okay here's one from me . I have kind of a love/hate relationship with this tune. It really is a beautiful tune, but I can't get out of my head the version from some "wife movie" of mine. Must be You've Got Mail or something. Anyway, I just can't seem to make myself practice this for more than a few minutes at a time.

I do apologize for the sound quality on this. I just had the phone sitting in a bad place I guess.

Anyway, to what Lawson was saying above, my frustration with these threads is that we're going to talk process more . That's what I was kind of more interested in, And it's what we could have originally laid out. I think a couple of us did that on the first one , and then it just kind of became poster version etc. And some really intimidatingly good versions maybe too. :-)

So, in the interest of original premise, I'll just throw in some thoughts about my personal process with this meager run-through. (Again, I'm not a jazz player. I really came to the forum is kind of a interested in chord melody fingerstyle list , and then actually started getting interested in things like improv. Kind of got sucked in.)
    I'll do a quick "process" video, and paste it in the same post. Please feel free to ignore or whatever. It's pretty basic stuff to many here I'm sure.

Please feel free to rip apart, critique or ask any question about why I'm doing something I'm doing or whatever. This is the kind of conversation I'm most interested in anyway. I always appreciate positive comments and all, but there's other stuff as well.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 08-26-2018 at 09:23 PM.