The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I'll do a quick "process" video, and paste it in the same post. ...
    Hey Matt. I like your version and the process. I use a similar process although I might be less methodical about it and just tend to try different approaches till I find something I like.
    I played some classical piano as a kid, and still use the keyboard to work things out sometimes. I think of chord shapes at stepping stones and tend to finger or at least imagine the block chords when I’m learning solo tunes to serve as road map. But I try to hear each voice and have them move somewhat independently. I sang in a church choir for a while as I was first learning to play solo guitar and I felt that helped me think of solo guitar as creating a choir effect.
    I try to use melodic devices to walk each voice between each chord change. I’ve never tried to play a block chord for every note in a melody. It can sound cool for part of a tune but gets tiresome to listen to after a while.
    Here’s my take on this tune. I listened to a bunch of versions and noticed that most start with a voice moving chromatically — usually starting from the major-7th of the key and moving down to the 6th, but some start from the 5th and move chromatically up the the 6th, then back down. In my arrangement I start off with the 5th going up, then for the second half start from the maj-7th and go down. The fingering of the latter is tricky. I need more time on the tune to learn to play it more freely, but I feel I’ve made a good start.

I recorded it again playing a little more freely, but also making more mistakes. No need to watch both but I’ll include it anyway.

I hope the solo tune of the month threads keep going. It’s good to encourage discussion of approaches rather than just offering complements. I may go back and post a few old threads I missed. I’m pretty flexible about tune choices. It’s good to mix them up — not all ballads, or similar eras.
    Last edited by KirkP; 09-10-2018 at 09:02 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Hey Matt. I like your version and the process. I use a similar process although I might be less methodical about it and just tend to try different approaches till I find something I like.
    I played some classical piano as a kid, and still use the keyboard to work things out sometimes. I think of chord shapes at stepping stones and tend to finger or at least imagine the block chords when I’m learning solo tunes to serve as road map. But I try to hear each voice and have them move somewhat independently. I sang in a church choir for a while as I was first learning to play solo guitar and I felt that helped me think of solo guitar as creating a choir effect.
    I try to use melodic devices to walk each voice between each chord change. I’ve never tried to play a block chord for every note in a melody. It can sound cool for part of a tune but gets tiresome to listen to after a while.
    Here’s my take on this tune. I listened to a bunch of versions and noticed that most start with a voice moving chromatically — usually starting from the major-7th of the key and moving down to the 6th, but some start from the 5th and move chromatically up the the 6th, then back down. In my arrangement I start off with the 5th going up, then for the second half start from the maj-7th and go down. The fingering of the latter is tricky. I need more time on the tune to learn to play it more freely, but I feel I’ve made a good start.

I recorded it again playing a little more freely, but also making more mistakes. No need to watch both but I’ll include it anyway.

I hope the solo tune of the month threads keep going. It’s good to encourage discussion of approaches rather than just offering complements. I may go back and post a few old threads I missed. I’m pretty flexible about tune choices. It’s good to mix them up — not all ballads, or similar eras.
    I like both versions Kirk! I like the way you do tasteful fills in between the melody lines. I think your image of using block chords as stepping stones makes a lot of sense.

My job and weekend commitments have monopolized my time recently, but I hope to contribute to both of the most recent threads soon. I really enjoy them.

User Info Menu

As Monty Python would say, "And now for something completely different..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    As Monty Python would say, "And now for something completely different..."

holy shit Jim! that was pretty af

User Info Menu

Groovy, man :-)

User Info Menu

Like the song #10 thread, The Nearness of You, I have yet to contribute to this thread here even though I started it. Darn real work stops fun!

Anyway, I have been working on it. Sorry for having the mike stand right in the way of my guitar. Not too bright of me! The only version of this tune I've really listened too much is Frank Sinatra's. You would probably never know it, but I'm hearing his voice in my head when I'm trying to pluck the melody. One thing I realized I liked about learning this tune is the droning C bass note.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10
    Like the song #10 thread, The Nearness of You, I have yet to contribute to this thread here even though I started it. Darn real work stops fun!

Anyway, I have been working on it. Sorry for having the mike stand right in the way of my guitar. Not too bright of me! The only version of this tune I've really listened too much is Frank Sinatra's. You would probably never know it, but I'm hearing his voice in my head when I'm trying to pluck the melody. One thing I realized I liked about learning this tune is the droning C bass note.

Very nice arrangement and feel, Paul.

Check out these versions:

I think they kind of fit with the aesthetic you're going for (and might drive Frank out of your head).

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10

Nice expression, and the melody sings. Fancy harmonies and fills are nice decoration, but if the melody doesn’t sing what’s the point?

And the rubato is artful. Sometimes rubato sounds as if the performer is just having trouble playing the tune or it just trying to make space for unnecessary dcoration, but if it’s a natural rubato as a vocalist might sing it I like it. Nice job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Very nice arrangement and feel, Paul.

Check out these versions:

I think they kind of fit with the aesthetic you're going for (and might drive Frank out of your head).

John
    Thanks for the nice words and the suggestions John. I love both those artists, but haven't heard them doing that song before. I sort of feel that Norah Jones and James Taylor are similar in that they both have incredibly pleasing voices, and will sort of improvise on melodies in their phrasing. Very beautiful stuff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Nice expression, and the melody sings. Fancy harmonies and fills are nice decoration, but if the melody doesn’t sing what’s the point?

And the rubato is artful. Sometimes rubato sounds as if the performer is just having trouble playing the tune or it just trying to make space for unnecessary dcoration, but if it’s a natural rubato as a vocalist might sing it I like it. Nice job.
    Thanks very much Kirk!! Your comments really make my day. I personally find it helpful to play songs that have been done by great vocalists. I feel it gives me a road map. I tend to hear two things when I'm trying to come up with my own arrangement. First is the straight melody emphasized as a vocalist would. And second is the underlying line that weaves in and around the melody notes. Sometimes when I'm away from the guitar and hear the song in my head, I can hear an underlying line I'd like to play, but I find I really can't pull it off in the same way when I pick up the guitar. The feel often is there though.

I don't know what it is about rubato and why I like it so much. I gravitate to it and like to try and play it and to hear others play in that style too. I think I really like phrasing as an art form, either instrumentally or vocally.

However, my love of rubato is probably one reason I don't have many upbeat songs in my repertoire. I probably need to think about that some!