The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

Hello All,

Welcome to the Solo Guitar Arranging Group! This is song thread #7, Laura, which was the runner-up of a recent poll of song suggestions for the group to work on.

Players of all levels and abilities are welcome to participate here. Please join us!

Also, if you'd like to post arrangements of our prior songs, please do so on those song threads and keep them alive:

#1 Days of Wine and Roses
    #2 Here's That Rainy Day
    #3 Tenderly
    #4 Shadow of your Smile
    #5 Moon River
    #6 Stella by Starlight

The idea is to start a different song thread periodically and encourage everyone to post a video or recording of how they would play/arrange that particular tune for solo guitar (i.e. with no other accompaniment).

Group Guidelines

Here are general guidelines for the group.

1. All levels of players are strongly encouraged to participate, from beginners on up. We hope the group may even be rewarded occasionally, if not often, with contributions by seasoned pros and prominent guitarists. However, no matter your skill level you are strongly encouraged to join in. If you are open to hearing constructive comments and suggestions from the group, please indicate so in your post (e.g. indicate "c&c welcome" in the title of your post).

2. The arrangement can be easy and simple, or elaborate and complex, or simply playing it on the fly. It’s all about each person’s own interpretation and approach.

3. After posting the arrangement, each person is encouraged to also post (in a video, on a recording or in writing) their approach to the song, or to specific parts of the song. This explanatory content can be in as much or as little detail as desired (or none at all). If the person is seeking specific help from the group this is a good place to ask for it.

4. Written notations of the arrangement are certainly not expected. Each person can decide how to handle any such requests from the group.

5. Future song selections and frequency will be made based on suggestions received and what appears to be a consensus. I’ll try and post a lead sheet for each song selection if that would be helpful. Of course, people can still play the song in any key (or keys) they choose.

6. Encouragement to each person for their contributions are encouraged. Unless the performer indicates a willingness to hear criticisms (see #1 above), participants should not offer criticisms of individual performances. Advice should only be offered if the person specifically asks for it. Even then resist criticizing anything to do with the interpretation or "artsy" side of the performance and comment on techniques and tips instead (for example playing a particular passage or suggesting chord embellishments, etc.)

7. Participation in group discussions is encouraged for all, even if a person does not want to personally post their own arrangements at present for whatever reason.

Goals of Group

1. To encourage each other to become better solo guitar players and to share knowledge and skills in a friendly and helpful setting. If we individually work up an arrangement and then bring it to the group, it will be invaluable to see how people handled the song or specific parts of the song. We will all enhance our guitar skills and vocabulary. New ideas or approaches would even be useful to the most advanced players.

2. To increase our repertoire of solo guitar songs.

3. To build confidence in playing for others, sharing our skills and in recording ourselves.

Since there is a new thread for each song, there is no time pressure to keep up with the group. People can post to each song thread when they’re ready to.

As discussed above, there are separate thread for our prior songs. If you want to post a video or recording of one of those, it’s never too late. Please do so in those threads and help keep them going!

I've attached a lead sheet of Laura if it would be helpful.

We hope everyone will join in and participate however you choose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OK, I’ve started working on it. The chords aren’t that difficult since much of it is a pattern of ii-V-I sequences stepping down by whole steps. But parts of the melody are tricky! I think I need to listen to a few definitive recordings to internalize the melody and phrasing.

User Info Menu

I’m now able to slop through the tune, playing enough of the melody & harmony to recognize what I’m trying to play, but with lots of missed melody notes. I know perfection isn’t expected in this thread, so here goes... Solo Guitar Tune #7 - Laura
    Last edited by KirkP; 06-18-2018 at 05:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool, Kirk! I don't think I've ever heard Laura with that sort of feel

User Info Menu

OK here's, mine.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    OK, I’ve started working on it. The chords aren’t that difficult since much of it is a pattern of ii-V-I sequences stepping down by whole steps. But parts of the melody are tricky! I think I need to listen to a few definitive recordings to internalize the melody and phrasing.
    Interesting approach, not just rhythmically.
    It also has kind of a lighter/happier vibe than one usually hears.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Interesting approach, not just rhythmically.
    It also has kind of a lighter/happier vibe than one usually hears.

John
    When I’m playing solo and especially when learning a tune I prefer to play in time rather than using much rubato, and if it’s a slow tune I have an easier time if I feel a rhythm with more subdivisions than quarter notes. In this case a latin feel helped me keep the feel bouncing along even through the long whole notes (at least I hope it did). Once I’m more comfortable with the tune, maybe I’ll try a more straight rhythm or even some rubato.
    The Grant Green/Jimmy Forrest version of Laura is even lighter & happier and swings like hell!

Bill Evans also swings it.
    Last edited by KirkP; 06-19-2018 at 01:56 AM.

User Info Menu

When I’m playing solo and especially when learning a tune I prefer to play in time rather than using much rubato, and if it’s a slow tune I have an easier time if I feel a rhythm with more subdivisions than quarter notes. In this case a latin feel helped me keep the feel bouncing along even through the long whole notes (at least I hope it did). Once I’m more comfortable with the tune, maybe I’ll try a more straight rhythm or even some rubato.
    The Grant Green/Jimmy Forrest version of Laura is even lighter & happier and swings like hell!

Bill Evans also swings it.
    I prefer to play in time too, but the best laid plans of mice and me ...

I might try a more up/swing version. I did play it that way a bit when I was figuring out tune. The tune lends itself to that.

John

User Info Menu

Some really nice harmony, John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Some really nice harmony, John
    Thanks. It took me a bit to get the hang of it, but in the end I had fun with it.

John

User Info Menu

I’m now able to slop through the tune, playing enough of the melody & harmony to recognize what I’m trying to play, but with lots of missed melody notes. I know perfection isn’t expected in this thread, so here goes... Solo Guitar Tune #7 - Laura
    That sounded great Kirk. I liked that latin feel you had.

User Info Menu

OK here's, mine.

John

That was really nice too John. Your improv section was really interesting...kept going in and out of the main melody. I liked that!

User Info Menu

Solo Guitar Tune #7 - Laura-image2-jpegSolo Guitar Tune #7 - Laura-image1-jpeg

here's the original sheet music

still chipping away at this about 15 minutes at a time

User Info Menu

It’s a classic film, Clifton Webb steals every scene as the acid-tongued columnist Waldo Lydecker. The theme gets played quite a lot during the film.

User Info Menu

here's the original sheet music

still chipping away at this about 15 minutes at a time
    I await its completion with bated breath ...

John

User Info Menu

I await its completion with bated breath ...

John
    I can’t figure out how to read that as anything but complete sarcasm, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and spare you my rapier wit, sir.

User Info Menu

I can’t figure out how to read that as anything but complete sarcasm, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and spare you my rapier wit, sir.
    No, I was being completely sincere. Your reharmonizations are always interesting and I'm eager to hear your latest one.

John

It's a tough one. I deleted multiple takes the other day. I have probably a couple of hours into this one myself. I'll post my only un- deleted rough draft to maybe help keep the ball rolling.

Enjoyed the other takes. Really liked the Latin feel in Kirk's. A lot of nice re-harm moments, John.

Very busy week...
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 06-21-2018 at 12:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    It's a tough one. I deleted multiple takes the other day. I have probably a couple of hours into this one myself. I'll post my only un- deleted rough draft to maybe help keep the ball rolling.

Enjoyed the other takes. Really liked the Latin feel in Kirk's. A lot of nice re-harm moments, John.

Very busy week...

That was really nice Matt. I really liked the runs and fills and the feel.

User Info Menu

Man, cool posts.

So so far I've listened to john, kirk, and matt...if there were others, I missed you, I'll go back aND check tonight.

John, I love all the full chords. That's usually a disaster for me...but you keep it flowing.

Kirk, as others have mentioned, I love the brighter Latin feel...this song doesn't have to plod...it's got cool changes. Very cool stuff.

Matt, I think this is one of my favorites of yours...great space, love the vibe on acoustic...inspired me to go acoustic as well...well, kinda...I plugged my Ovation in

Anyway, here's Laura in two keys, G and C. G inspired by Jonathan Kriesberg's amazing version on Night Songs...if you haven't heard that...dang, check it out.

Mine is...uh...not quite that good. But I like the 2 key idea. Let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Mine is...uh...not quite that good. But I like the 2 key idea. Let me know what you think.
    Ha. I just got through telling my wife that it was the best thing I've ever heard you play.

Sublime.

Great touch on a hot amplified acoustic.

I love the way your runs always "land"...
    ....in time and in place, just where they should. Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for posting this.

Really is a haunting tune. really appropriate for June I think. Feels like summer to me. As very young school teachers, we kinda binged on film noir one summer when we were out of school but couldn't afford to do much besides the dollar movie rental. Laura was among those summer flicks , probably 20 years ago. The song remembers when. Ha. :-)

User Info Menu

Man, cool posts.

So so far I've listened to john, kirk, and matt...if there were others, I missed you, I'll go back aND check tonight.

John, I love all the full chords. That's usually a disaster for me...but you keep it flowing.

Kirk, as others have mentioned, I love the brighter Latin feel...this song doesn't have to plod...it's got cool changes. Very cool stuff.

Matt, I think this is one of my favorites of yours...great space, love the vibe on acoustic...inspired me to go acoustic as well...well, kinda...I plugged my Ovation in

Anyway, here's Laura in two keys, G and C. G inspired by Jonathan Kriesberg's amazing version on Night Songs...if you haven't heard that...dang, check it out.

Nice Jeff. The two keys thing was cool, and quite seamless. It almost seems like it was composed that way.

John

User Info Menu

“seamless” is right! fucking awesome, Jeff

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I love this tune. Absolutely one of my favorites.

I like doing the 2 key thing...been on a kick with it lately...if you pick two keys far enough apart it really makes you look at the tune differently. Which is never bad.

The Ovation sounds awful here, though! Ugh. Tried recording with my iPad as my beloved old Samsung smartphone (which records everything really well) has lost its ability to screen rotate.

I need a new phone, but I'm going to miss how well the old s5 records. Literally just plunk it down and hit the red button, never distorts, nothing...oh well...everything comes and goes.

User Info Menu

Man, cool posts.

Wow that was really nice Jeff. Loved everything about that, and using the two keys was a great idea!

And I think that Ovation sounds darn good!