The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    Here is Laura, I was inspired by the Grant Green version that Kirk P posted. Thinking there will probably be lots of ballad renditions this one is a medium tempo swing. just for fun.
    Enjoy

all the best
    Tim

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tim, I'd say it works that way quite well! Sign of a great tune, when it lends itself to various approaches.

Great playing...nice easy swinging. And that last harmonic...yeah.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jeff,
    I haven't played this tune much and its a fun one. very conducive to this approach. I hope to have some time tomorrow to dig into your rendition as well as the others that have posted so far.
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    It's a tough one. I deleted multiple takes the other day. I have probably a couple of hours into this one myself. I'll post my only un- deleted rough draft to maybe help keep the ball rolling.

Enjoyed the other takes. Really liked the Latin feel in Kirk's. A lot of nice re-harm moments, John.

Very busy week...
    Nice one, Matt. I like the way you got into a groove.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I’m now able to slop through the tune, playing enough of the melody & harmony to recognize what I’m trying to play, but with lots of missed melody notes. I know perfection isn’t expected in this thread, so here goes... Solo Guitar Tune #7 - Laura

Kirk this is nice. I dig the groove, please post again when you spend a bit more time and get the melody squared away. I'm sure we would all like to hear you again.

all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Man, cool posts.

So so far I've listened to john, kirk, and matt...if there were others, I missed you, I'll go back aND check tonight.

John, I love all the full chords. That's usually a disaster for me...but you keep it flowing.

Kirk, as others have mentioned, I love the brighter Latin feel...this song doesn't have to plod...it's got cool changes. Very cool stuff.

Matt, I think this is one of my favorites of yours...great space, love the vibe on acoustic...inspired me to go acoustic as well...well, kinda...I plugged my Ovation in

Anyway, here's Laura in two keys, G and C. G inspired by Jonathan Kriesberg's amazing version on Night Songs...if you haven't heard that...dang, check it out.

Mine is...uh...not quite that good. But I like the 2 key idea. Let me know what you think.

Sounds really nice Jeff so relaxed and searching without being tentative. I had originally thought I'd modulate in my version but as I came to the end of the first pass I lost my nerve and decided to wrap it up.
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

This is a nice thread. I’ve enjoyed listening to all the submissions and reading the comments — and learning from it.
    Here’s another stab at pretty much the same arrangement I posted before, but with swing rhythm instead of latin. I cleaned up the melody a bit, but my fingers aren’t quite doing what they’re told. — That’s my fault not theirs. Solo Guitar Tune #7 - Laura

I didn’t realize until I listened to the recording that I missed so many bass notes that I intended to play. It may be that I’ve spent so much time in ensembles fretting bass notes but not picking them that I drop them when playing solo. I guess that’s something to explore more in the woodshed.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    This is a nice thread. I’ve enjoyed listening to all the submissions and reading the comments — and learning from it.
    Here’s another stab at pretty much the same arrangement I posted before, but with swing rhythm instead of latin. I cleaned up the melody a bit, but my fingers aren’t quite doing what they’re told. — That’s my fault not theirs. Solo Guitar Tune #7 - Laura

I didn’t realize until I listened to the recording that I missed so many bass notes that I intended to play. It may be that I’ve spent so much time in ensembles fretting bass notes but not picking them that I drop them when playing solo. I guess that’s something to explore more in the woodshed.
    Really good stuff Kirk. Love the second chorus! Congrats.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'm working on other things at the moment, wish I could jump in on this. But thought I would post this:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Hi guys,
    Here is Laura, I was inspired by the Grant Green version that Kirk P posted. Thinking there will probably be lots of ballad renditions this one is a medium tempo swing. just for fun.
    Enjoy

all the best
    Tim

That was just great Tim!. Wow I love that bass line you're able to get going there...a complete band on one instrument!!! Very cool sound and groove.

User Info Menu

Thank you Paul, I have to admit I am quite addicted to that sound and feel. That poppin' swing feel makes me happy. It comes at a cost in terms of melodic freedom but I'm constantly working on overcoming that as much as I can. glad you liked it.
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matcarsa
    With video hopefully.Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File videocompress-023-20180624_140641.mp4

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk
    No video, at least not on my Android phone. Musically, you're headed in the right direction. my suggestion would be to practice that arrangement some more and try to play it more cleanly and in time.

John

User Info Menu

This is one of those times! I can hear what I want to do in my head with the tune, but I haven't put in the work needed to pull it off like I'd really like to do, especially with the camera rolling and the resulting nerves.

Anyway I've been working on this quite a bit and decided time is moving on. Since Joe already took my reason for not posting yet (that's a really good one Joe!), I decided I needed to post something, even with all the stumbles.

What I personally hear in this tune is a lot of space in the melody for call and answer lines. So I was going for that but didn't always have the right answers or calls! I'll keep plugging away!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10;880291
    Anyway I've been working on this quite a bit and decided time is moving on. Since Joe already took my reason for not posting yet (that's a really good one Joe!), I decided I needed to post something, even with all the stumbles.
    [video=youtube_share;7Za67ohamV8
    https://youtu.be/7Za67ohamV8[/video]
    Lol I hope you all break a tailpiece!

Paul sounds awesome. Has your signature dreamy/floaty sound, but the addition of the response melodies is great. Reminded me of someone playing between a singer's phrases
    Last edited by joe2758; 06-27-2018 at 03:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Lol I hope you all break a tailpiece!

I'll listen tonight Paul
    That actually does sound like a horrible problem Joe. I'm very sorry to hear that happened and I hope your guitar is feeling better soon!

User Info Menu

This thread is slow, but I’ll bet a few of you are still working on the tune. I’ve been trying to better internalize the harmony. When I’m working on a complex tune I’ll typically find an iReal-Pro chart and simplify it to a vanilla chart so I can more easily get my head around it. Here’s my vanilla chart for Laura in C. I’ve removed most of the M7, M6, b9, indicators to keep it clean. I prefer to memorize the tune without them. I’ll add them back in when I play, but I don’t like to be locked in by a chart. (Of course, with the chart in iReal I can now instantly transpose it to practice in other keys.)

It’s interesting to see the chart move through keys in ii-V-I cycles. The first half goes through: G, F, Eb, then back to G. Wait a minute — we’re supposed to be in C! Fooled you!

The second half starts out the same, but makes a complicated “midcourse correction” to get back to the correct key going through G, F, finally C. I keep screwing up that return to C in the last 8 bars, so I’m working on internalizing that and cleaning it up.

Bar 10 is interesting. I’ve been playing Bb7sus based on the chart I started with, but I heard Jeff playing Abm6 there and it seems richer, so I’ll probably steal that idea. Db9 would work there too.

I’d decided I need to practice this more slowly with focus on playing cleanly and lyrically.
    Last edited by KirkP; 06-28-2018 at 01:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Really cool, Kirk. It's funny to me that back in the day it used to be about spicing up the vanilla changes; these days it's about reduction. They present an interpretation as standard changes. Here is a behind the scenes peak at how I internalize tunes. I don't think it will be useful like yours, but I thought it might be interesting to someone
    Solo Guitar Tune #7 - Laura-image1-jpeg

User Info Menu

Interesting, Joe. That looks like the RB sheet with the chords taken out. Paint + eraser?

Solo Guitar Tune #7 - Laura-laura-203-jpg

PS. Did you say you had another guitar?

User Info Menu

I used to cut strips of paper and tape it over the chords, now I use white-out tape (much easier.) Then make photo copy. I have $150 Parlor guitar, Gretch Jim Dandy. It's my "campfire guitar." It's good for what it is, and for the price, but I don't want to record my work on Laura with it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Really cool, Kirk. It's funny to me that back in the day it used to be about spicing up the vanilla changes; these days it's about reduction. They present an interpretation as standard changes. Here is a behind the scenes peak at how I internalize tunes. I don't think it will be useful like yours, but I thought it might be interesting to someone
    We’re thinking along the same lines using an app vs paper. The iReal app doesn’t include melody, but I usually find it easier to memorize melody than chords, and a chord chart is much easier for my old eyes to read. Solo Guitar Tune #7 - Laura
    I can see how your addition of key words from the lyrics would be helpful. It’s easy to do that in iReal. iReal also can display chord degrees instead of names which is closer to your notation. Here’s an edit where I’ve partially done both.

When I’m learning a tune don’t like the chart to tell me how to harmonize it, so I first try to reduce it to vanilla. Once I’ve done that I do the old school thing of spicing it up to suite my own tastes. The end result may end up more or less complex than a Real Book chart. So both reducing and spicing are involved.

User Info Menu

Hi Kirk,
    I'm not sure how helpful that numerical chart would be since its relating everything to C major. At least as a road map I would prefer to think of each key center. Do you actually think of the first 4 bars as vi II V etc ?

Tim

User Info Menu

not that i’m obly interested in talking about me, but i wanted to add one thing:

”original reduction” on the top meant it was based off the original sheet music i posted earlier, that’s why there are melodic embelishments crossed out, and a couple times i put “half note” or “quarter notes” when the realbook chart was making it more complex than it is...again, i think WE should get to make those choices.

In the real book’s defense, if you’re on a gig and sight reading, the embelishments might be good to have there.

I did a harmonic reduction based on the realbook changes and got the same result

User Info Menu

It's not a CM but you might like this.

User Info Menu

It seems like we're about ready to wake up from the dream ... Any of the remaining usual suspects planning on posting? I know Lawson said he's out. Joe-buncha-numbers? JazzDan? Anyone else in/out? Thoughts on the next tune? Looking at the poll, it seems to be a tie between Wee Small Hours and Emily. Ca m'est egal between the two, though I'm further along with one than the other in terms of a viable arrangement.

John

User Info Menu

I did one more, been playing more with the 2 keys thing, so think of this as version 1.2

It got a bit long, but I don't ever post long stuff, so here we go.