The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 91

User Info Menu

No Dan, but that tone is added because it is the melody note

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dan’s working on this tune in the key of E. That key seems to put the melody in an awkward range for guitar, but it prompted me to try the tune in several keys. I decided that the key of F seemed slightly easier than E. Here’s a rough take of the tune in F, sticking pretty much to the basic harmony. I don’t think I’ll continue in that key, but it was a good exercise.

Here’s the chart I used.
    Last edited by KirkP; 05-24-2018 at 10:46 PM.

User Info Menu

I always groan inside when a "Stella by Starlight" thread opens up. Always, always, always, the same tired debate over the first chord, as if nobody knew the "movie version" started on a different chord. The facts are simple. If you play totally solo, play it any way you want. If you expect to play with jam sessions, you better start with the Em7b5 unless the leader says otherwise.

Believe it or not, "original" changes have little or no authority on how tunes are played. Chords are named variously, orchestrations vary slightly, and hello... this is jazz... we change things. We reharmonizes. We substitute. Sometimes we don't even play the melody on the "head" but just point at it.

Sorry guys, I had to get that off my chest. I just get so weary of the "what's the first chord in stella, really now..." It's solo guitar, play what you like hearing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I always groan inside when a "Stella by Starlight" thread opens up. Always, always, always, the same tired debate over the first chord, as if nobody knew the "movie version" started on a different chord. The facts are simple. If you play totally solo, play it any way you want. If you expect to play with jam sessions, you better start with the Em7b5 unless the leader says otherwise.

Believe it or not, "original" changes have little or no authority on how tunes are played. Chords are named variously, orchestrations vary slightly, and hello... this is jazz... we change things. We reharmonizes. We substitute. Sometimes we don't even play the melody on the "head" but just point at it.

Sorry guys, I had to get that off my chest. I just get so weary of the "what's the first chord in stella, really now..." It's solo guitar, play what you like hearing.
    Yikes, grouchy.

Not sure what in this thread would have triggered you, but Christian was half kidding. I was replying to Rags when I said Barry Harris does it, It's the original, and it sound best in my opinion. I guess I did say "it should be." It's like saying "people should grow their hair out longer like they did in the 70's."

plus a couple people learned about it for the first time and liked it

User Info Menu

Fine. I think I'll sit this one out. I don't feel like I really fit in here anymore.

User Info Menu

There's more differences than that.

Good to know the original. There's some beautiful voice leading and bass line stuff that gets lost in the standard jazz version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

I don't think anyone was saying Em7b5 is wrong or that one should only play Bo. Rather some of us were offering context. It was news to me until recently, so pay it forward. The Bernstein video and the way he showed the logic of A7 to Cm in terms of the Db diminished scale helped me understand the tune better.

John

User Info Menu

Lawson....are you having a pity party today? If so.....snap out of it! You have been such a help and a friend to to me and I appreciate it. What a wonderful contribution you make to this forum....thank you.

Stella must have been some chick!!! I am having the toughest time with this woman and I want a divorce but I'm gonna keep trying to work it out. Persevere!!!!

User Info Menu

Speaking of the harmony in stella, I was e-mailing about the end of stella with a guitar mentor of mine-- I discovered the most beautiful and elegant movement built into the series of minor 2-5s. (Not that I invented such a beautiful movement, I truly believe it's implied by the tune).

I learned a couple years ago that half dim chords want to be arrived to, they need to come from somewhere

A great place to arrive FROM is a major chord a tritone above half dim chord.

Ok so on our E-7b5 in the last 8 there, try BbM7, to G minor, to G minor/E (this is your E half dim), then for your A7 chord slide up your half dim chord up a minor 3rd for an altered dominant sound. should be G half dim.

Here's where it gets cool.

G half dim is vii-7b5 of Ab. Start on Ab6 and play the same cycle and you should land on F half dim which leads into Gb maj 6

and we can then do the cycle a 3rd time!

I do a similar move in the beginning the B section

the movement to the half dim chord from the major chord is a Barry Harris concept called "major to minor to minor with the 6th in the bass"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Cool. Gotta practice that ... in E (ducks)

John
    How do you lay that out rhythmically, Joe?

John

User Info Menu

The Bb major starts where the E-7b5 is in the real book changes. Then the E-7b5 lands where the A7b9 is for two beats, then your G-7b5 (A7alt) on beat 3 of that measure.

The way I play it is Bb major, contrary motion movement like you've seen on my other vids to land on the E half, then the G half.

The "major to minor to minor with the 6th in the bass" is essentially a descending bass movement, so I just added contrary motion to that

The bass movement is like Do-Ti-La(here's 6)-Le-Sol- Se/Fi (your 6 chord with its 6th in the bass)

User Info Menu

one more thing, its USUAL purpose is going from a major chord to a chord up a major 3rd. So going from Bb to D- (as it does in the beginning of B section)

User Info Menu

I like this. A lot. I probably ought to get permission from Jeff to post it but it's on YouTube and I'm singing his praises so... this guy plays the ones I wish I'd thought of.

Hear, look, listen, learn, weep... and say it's nice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I like this. A lot. I probably ought to get permission from Jeff to post it but it's on YouTube and I'm singing his praises so... this guy plays the ones I wish I'd thought of.

Hear, look, listen, learn, weep... and say
    I heard, looked, listened, learned, and the wept with envy of his ability. And of course it’s nice, it’s Beau

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    it’s Beau
    That was... subtle

What I like about his lines is that they slip off his fingers and never seem practised. I really couldn't say whether he just did it there and then or if they're worked out before. Magic.

Stella is a great tune and has a ton of lessons to teach. Those minor 2-5's and back door dominants are great for learning to apply melodic minor among other things.

I don't have any beef with the Em7b5, but beyond "politics", it's actually kind of cool that that specific 2-5 (Em7b5-A7) resolves 4 different ways in this tune, at least it does on my real book chart. This is one of those that my kids kind of accidentally learned with me, when we did it before. Playing over it, lately, they're humming along. Ha!

I think it's one that I'll always come back to. Have a love-love relationship with it.

User Info Menu

Well, I tried

User Info Menu

man i’d love to see a break down of that move around 15-22 seconds

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yeah not quite sure what I did there... Basically bouncing between bass and melody notes with some middle voice stuff.

'I find sleep deprivation helps' Peter Bernstein

User Info Menu

if sleep deprivation is cool, you can call me miles davis

User Info Menu

Hey guys,
    a few years ago I made a short video lesson for a student about one of my arrangements of Stella. This is not the same as the version I posted earlier in this thread but there are a few passages that are similar. I'm always trying to find new ways to get thru this tune and interesting voice leading options. This video is on YT but the link is private so let please just keep it in this group. hope some will find a few nice passages in it.

all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Hey guys,
    a few years ago I made a short video lesson for a student about one of my arrangements of Stella. This is not the same as the version I posted earlier in this thread but there are a few passages that are similar. I'm always trying to find new ways to get thru this tune and interesting voice leading options. This video is on YT but the link is private so let please just keep it in this group. hope some will find a few nice passages in it.

all the best
    Tim
    Wow Tim, that was very informative. Thanks so much for sharing that with the group!
    Paul

User Info Menu

Thanks Paul,
    I hope people don't mind if I post these types of things. I often respond to a students question with a video and then think that maybe the student videos would be interesting to others . if anyone in this group wants the PDF that I'm playing thru here just send me a note that includes your email address and I'll send it to you.

all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Tim, very generous— thanks alot. BEAUTIFUL and unique treatment of the tune. Can’t wait to sit down and steal your hard work