The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 91

User Info Menu

and also they’re obsessed with 2-5

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah, there's original changes, there's accepted changes...I think the minor II V is pretty much accepted, if someone were to call this tune without warning on me, that's what I'd assume we'd play.

This just happens to be one of the situations where the original change--a diminished chord, sounds SOOOOO GOOOOOD...so when I play it myself, that's how I do it.

I'm going to have to try something way different this month, I think I've posted myself playing Stella here a dozen times already

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Since I'm obviously under-informed, would someone mind explaining why the first chord of Stella isn't, or shouldn't be, an Em7b5?

It's in every backing track, every lead sheet I've seen so far. Barry Harris, Chet Baker, Stan Getz and Peter Bernstein use it. Barry Greene and Jens Larsen use it, and Dirk uses it in the Stella lesson on this very forum. I haven't found any serious recording or vid that didn't use it - although I've seen the occasional one where they just use the A7 or A7sus. Joe Pass does that, I think.

There is a vid that purports to display the 'original' changes and the chord is given as Eo. But I don't think that works, I don't like it.

I'd be grateful for a lucid explanation. Thanks.

Or is it one of those 'jazz jokes'?

This is the original version of the tune. Arguably more of a through-composed piece than it is a "song". The first chord under the melody is indeed a Bbdim7 (or Db or E or G). I don't know the history of how it became an Emin7b5 in common repertoire, but I've heard many people attribute that to Bill Evans. Peter Bernstein has an explanation why it's really Bbdim7 here:

Bbmin11 works too [Edit: I meant Ebmin11 here]. That, Bbdim7, and Emin7b5 are all near-subs for each other and can work, as long as everyone knows what's coming. There are a lot of versions where there's no chord under the first couple of melody notes of the head, and where it slips very quickly into harmonic ambiguity (e.g., a couple of Miles Versions). All that said, most people I know play it as Emin7b5/A7, not Bbdim7

John
    Last edited by John A.; 05-23-2018 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your replies.

Well, the usual version is Em7b5 to A7b9 but I hear the Bbo in the film clip. So are you saying the Em7b5 and A7b9 are just left out altogether?

And what is Bbo with an A on top?

You also say Bill Evans may have introduced the Em7b5 (Em9b5), possibly to give it some movement.

I said I didn't care for the dim sound but I was playing Ebo with the A at the top so that probably explains it :-)

User Info Menu

Actually, that's strange. If you play Eo with an A - xx2325 - that's like an F#7#9...

which is the first chord I used in my own version - x98910x. Weird, I must have funny ears

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    it’s not a joke... the first chord should be Bb dim woth the 7th as the melody note. That’s the original, that’s what barry harris teaches, and sounds best imo.
    unless you try my changes from earlier in the post
    My lead sheet has it as Em so that's what I've used, but now trying the Bbdim I like that better, so I'm switching in the future! I learned something new today!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Thanks for all your replies.

Well, the usual version is Em7b5 to A7b9 but I hear the Bbo in the film clip. So are you saying the Em7b5 and A7b9 are just left out altogether?

You also say Bill Evans may have introduced the Em7b5 (Em9b5), possibly to give it some movement.

I said I didn't care for the dim sound but I was playing Ebo with the A at the top so that probably explains it :-)
    I didn't transcribe and analyze anything but the very beginning of the movie version, and am not sure whether the Em7b5 to A7's that occur later in the standard chart are in the original. FWIW, in the version I posted here, across the first two bars I played (rubato-ish) a Bbdim7 then two chords that I'm not quite sure how to name. The first is (I guess) an A7b9 with the b9 in the bass (A7/Bb?). The second is the same chord with an open A ringing. I hear this as ambiguous -- sort of A7, sort of Bbo. I'm not sure what is actually right, but I thought this worked with the melody and was somewhat evocative of the original. The rest of the way, the standard changes are in my head, but I wasn't necessarily explicitly playing them. I usually play the standard changes with other people, but here, I was more in the mode of finding harmonies that worked to my ears without necessarily thinking through their relationship to the chart.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Ok, here's my stab at it. Just to defuse the Christian77 raaaage, which is a terrible thing to behold, I started it off with a Bbdim7 and eschewed the dread Emin7b5 until he was safely lulled. Actually I went a bit further off the beaten track than that, and copped this weird almost flamenco intro that's in the original movie soundtrack version, and then tried to capture something of aesthetic the rest of the way through, including the true, correct Bill-Evans-be-damned Bbdim7 "first" chord. It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it ...

In a further nod to authenticity, there's a random family member wandering through the frame, just like in the original movie ...

A couple of further notes -- I play this tune a lot, but rarely solo, and usually in a much more straight ahead way. This isn't the cleanest take, but I didn't want to do a million versions and lose all spontaneity, so I'll stand pat with this.

John

PS The original audio file for this sounds fine, but when I imported it into iMovie to mix with the video, it picked up all these crackles that sound like digital overs. If anyone has any suggestions for how to fix that ...
    Very nice John. I had just listened to the original version someone had posted before yours and you capture the same "spirit" of the song. Sounds great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10
    Very nice John. I had just listened to the original version someone had posted before yours and you capture the same "spirit" of the song. Sounds great!
    Sorry John! I just saw that it was you who posted the original version. Thanks for doing that. It was interesting to hear it.

One thing I find very fun about this forum is how there will be an involved debate over how to play one note in a tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM
    I just did this about a month ago, and it's not so good.

That was really great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    In the key of E the chart is calling for A#m7b5 for the 2nd note which is d#.....I need a chord that has the d# in it.....thanks.....Dan
    Dan, based on the mini=debate in this thread, better make that an Edim if I'm counting on my fingers correctly!

User Info Menu

Nice one Paul. I get the sense you've listened to a lot of finger style, Leo Kottke sort of stuff.

John
    Thanks John. Yes I have listened to a lot of fingerstyle, although Leo Kottke not so much. I spent quite a few years slogging through arrangements of others in altered tunings and I finally decided that wasn't all that rewarding to work on.

User Info Menu

Here is a version I did a few months ago, there are a more than a few reharmonized passages. especially the opening phrase. just trying to find new ways to play this lovely tune. And now to spend some time listening to the other versions which I'm sure will be time well spent.

all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Here is a version I did a few months ago, there are a more than a few reharmonized passages. especially the opening phrase. just trying to find new ways to play this lovely tune. And now to spend some time listening to the other versions which I'm sure will be time well spent.

all the best
    Tim
    Wow that is beautiful Tim. And those harmonics? Jeesh that is amazing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch

all the best
    Tim
    Wild stuff Tim. Thanks for posting.

John

User Info Menu

an A7b9 with the b9 in the bass (A7/Bb?).
    I found that too when I was searching around. Like Naima or something. I think I didn't use it because the fingering was a bit awkward.

User Info Menu

Tim, that was really nice!

Here's an attempt I recorded today:

User Info Menu

I've just got a new joke. Nothing to do with all this but I need to share it!

A woman is sitting at her recently deceased husband’s funeral. A man leans in to her and asks, “Do you mind if I say a word?”.

“No, go right ahead”, the woman replies.

The man stands, clears his throat, says “Plethora”, and sits back down.

“Thanks”, the woman says, “that means a lot”.

User Info Menu

Was it a sudden/unexpected death? Did he leave any children behind? What sad story

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    and also they’re obsessed with 2-5
    Yes, people see, hear, and impose the 2-5s more than I like...

In Stella (in Bb) at the Dm Bbm7 Eb(9) Fmaj7 part I prefer Dbdim for the Bb->Eb 2-5 quick change - it echos the "correct" first chord - Dbdim... which is nice if you didn't use it for the first chord. For example I kind of like Bireli's use of A13sus4 -> A(b13) for the first chord (still in Bb).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD
    Tim, that was really nice!

Here's an attempt I recorded today:

Beautiful!

John

User Info Menu

So in the key of E what chord would that be...thanks

User Info Menu

Can someone put up a chart of Stella in the key of E with the correct chords....thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    Can someone put up a chart of Stella in the key of E with the correct chords....thanks
    I think the one I transposed and posted for you Dan is pretty decent. There was just discussion here about the first chord as you know. Everyone has a different take on what chords to use in any song and some change the chords every time they play it to spice things up.

User Info Menu

Does e dim have a d#?