The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 71

User Info Menu

I like how you think, Raggedyandy. Idea looks great; can't try it just now. And of course, as we ALL know the A13 is derived from the Bbdim

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Or even Eb7#9 (x6567x). Sub of a sub...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Are you saying you change the melody from C# to C?
    Oh no I wouldn't do that Rag ...

I just wanted to see how people are handling it

ATMo I'm liking
    2x222x
    Xx765x
    Xx764x
    Xx750x
    0x540x
    Xx7600

What you think ?

I can't seem to get the Bbo stuff working for me ...
    (I've got a fairly vanilla ear tho)

User Info Menu

Or even Eb7#9 (x6567x). Sub of a sub...
    Also derived from the Bbdim. I'm with you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Oh no I wouldn't do that Rag ...
    Sorry, I thought you said F#m7b5 which would be C natural.

(1) 2x222x
    (2) Xx765x
    (3) Xx764x
    (4) Xx750x
    (5) 0x540x
    (6) Xx7600
    I don't know. Probably the melody ought to come through (although it's not essential, it could be implied). I think (apart from 1 which is F#m) I like 3 because of the dissonance. But the problem with putting in a higher note than the melody is that it can hide it.

Anyway, definitely not 2, don't like that :-)

User Info Menu

I think (apart from 1 which is F#m) I like 3 because of the dissonance. But the problem with putting in a higher note than the melody is that it can hide it.

Anyway, definitely not 2, don't like that :-)
    I didn't mean them as individual chord ideas Rag ...
    I meant to through play them as a sequence over
    "Smile ... When you are gone"

Just an idea anyway ...

User Info Menu

So I often just run the video camera while I'm noodling with a tune, and decided to share a snippet. This contains a few runs at different ways to play the first line, then sort of segues to an improvisation on the tune with a few halts and goofs... this surely should convince many that they can do lots better, and encourage them to post!

But I always enjoy seeing players' experimentation, and this is pretty "raw." Also, I was super tired and a little irritable for no good reason!

Bossa harmony is a little different anyway.

The turnaround in the 557 Jazz Standards version is G6--C7--B7, which seems to set up the F#m7 a lot better. Feels much less arbitrary. I don't always like the 557 versions that much, but I definitely like this version of the turnaround. This chart has other funky bossa harmonic elements as well, if I'm remembering correctly. Little more blues.

Honestly, the bossa feel sells the F#m7 as much as anything to my ears. Anyway, I haven't posted anything. Sorry. Crazy busy. I have a big road trip upcoming to get a first peak at my first grandchild, just born today. So a lot going on. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

You’re right John, the first example isn’t the best for making my point since it’s barely there due to the movement. the second example is more clear I think

I can stumble through the tune at this point, so I should be able to post one in the time frame of this thread

User Info Menu

Here’s my initial stab at making sense of this tune — once bossa and once swing (even though swing may be totally inappropriate). I’ll keep working on it and hope to get it to garden party performance level in a few weeks.

User Info Menu

nothing wrong with swing for this tune, i think i’ve actually heard more swing than bossa versions— but then again I always prefer swing.

Really nice playing as always, great feel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Here’s my initial stab at making sense of this tune — once bossa and once swing (even though swing may be totally inappropriate). I’ll keep working on it and hope to get it to garden party performance level in a few weeks.
    I like it--and transposed down a step from the usual gives you more room up high.

I thought I heard maybe an unconscious quote of another tune about :38 or so? I can't name the tune but an expression crosses your face that made me thing maybe you heard it too? It's driving me nuts trying to get the tune in my head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    nothing wrong with swing for this tune, i think i’ve actually heard more swing than bossa versions— but then again I always prefer swing.

Really nice playing as always, great feel
    I love playing it as a light swing. Works just fine. There is a wonderful Joe Pass/Red Mitchell duet of this that uses a swing feel, and the Earl Klugh trio did it that way too.

User Info Menu

I didn't read the post at first and just listened, and I was like "wait a second ... what tune is this?"

I think you have to do a full on swing version, just cause everybody else is bossa.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I like it--and transposed down a step from the usual gives you more room up high.

I thought I heard maybe an unconscious quote of another tune about :38 or so? I can't name the tune but an expression crosses your face that made me thing maybe you heard it too? It's driving me nuts trying to get the tune in my head.
    I chose the key of F before I even checked what key it’s usually played in. F does seem a little richer on guitar than G.
    I didn’t intentionally quote anything, but I intentionally played a little behind the beat around 0:38, then realized it was going to be difficult to catch back up. I smiled when I managed to get back on top of the beat. I’d make a rotten poker player. Solo Guitar Tune #4: The Shadow of Your Smile
    My favorite version of this tune is an exceptionally beautiful vocal by Nancy Lamott. I won’t post a link here, but it’s on youtube. It would be difficult to get the long sustains needed for that tempo, but maybe the Telecaster could do it.
    Last edited by KirkP; 04-16-2018 at 03:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I finally realized you’re right — I sort of quoted the first few notes of Round Midnight there. The notes are very similar but the rhythm is much different. It wasn’t preplanned, but that’s another tune I’m working on so it snuck in.

User Info Menu

Congrats on your 1st grandchild....I hope you become as important to him/her as my grandfather was and still is to me

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    Congrats on your 1st grandchild....I hope you become as important to him/her as my grandfather was and still is to me
    Thanks, Dan.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I finally realized you’re right — I sort of quoted the first few notes of Round Midnight there. The notes are very similar but the rhythm is much different. It wasn’t preplanned, but that’s another tune I’m working on so it snuck in.
    I hear that but I'm thinking of a song from a musical. It's a vocal line, sung by a woman, but I can't figure it. Kind of like hearing the "Lord of the Rings" Theme and one day realizing the old hymn tune "This Is My Father's World" has the same phrase...

It'll come to me... likely at a supremely awkward moment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Anyway, I haven't posted anything. Sorry. Crazy busy. I have a big road trip upcoming to get a first peak at my first grandchild, just born today. So a lot going on. :-)

Congrats on the first grandchild. That is very cool life news!!

I haven't posted yet either. I'm a CPA and just came out of my crazy time and then I laid on the couch for the last two days doing hardly anything It's time to get back to playing some for me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10
    I haven't posted yet either. I'm a CPA and just came out of my crazy time and then I laid on the couch for the last two days doing hardly anything It's time to get back to playing some for me!
    That's why I haven't posted; didn't to overstep Paul. You other guys failed the test

User Info Menu

By the way Johnny Mandel’s original score has some tasty orchestration. Trumpet is played by Jack Sheldon.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    Hi Dan
    Sounds nice down low like that. I think you are rushing the tempo on some of the measures. There are some long 2 and 3 beat rests in the melody that you can fill with arpeggios or other phrases, but those longer rests are important in the tune. Maybe go through and mechanically count the beats as you play.

Still you have a solid take on the tune.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson.....yeah, I can hear and see where I didn't hold a few of those half notes long enough and the dotted half notes long enough. I'll work on that