The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 199 of 199

User Info Menu

kudos to you for getting out there and playing gigs, Dan.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    I felt that pull at times too Rags. But my favorite version is in 3 (Bill Evans). Doing it with a solid 3 feel through whol thing was more of a challenge than I wanted to take on, but the guys on here that did it rocked it.
    Looks like I'm going to have to try it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Here’s my pretty ragged take, in the key of C. I need lots of work on fingering mechanics.

That was really nice. I liked all your voicings and the improv section was very cool!

Cosmic Gumbo mentioned your version was in 3/4 and I didn't even realize it until he pointed it out. It does give it a more airy feel. A nice way to shake it up.

User Info Menu

I have some thoughts on playing in public that I would like to share. I have done a lot of it and I must say I enjoy the adrenaline rush that playing in public brings. I think music should be shared because It makes the world a better place unless of course it is demonic and I won't get into that. The first public playing that I did was in a restaurant and that was the wrong way to go. The best place to start is under the shade of a tree in a public park where a person or two might walk by. Then change parks and trees where there are a few more people. Pick your best songs and go with those......expect to get nervous and do your best even though you mess up. Don't give up....it happens. I have a book of tunes that I can read so I don't worry about forgetting the tunes. Also try during this stage to play a song or two at a party. I always take my guitar if I get invited to a party. Sometimes I play and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I am the life of the party and that is fun.

After you have done the park practice.....I still play in a park at noon a couple times a week....try playing on the street and put your hat out there or a tip jar with a seed couple of bucks. I love to do this on my vacation every summer....this is called busking and I enjoy it. Just be very careful that you keep a close eye on your ax. Before you begin to busk go on YouTube and type in....How to be busker....you can learn a lot

I hope this has been helpful to someone.....give it a shot!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10
    That was really nice. I liked all your voicings and the improv section was very cool!

Cosmic Gumbo mentioned your version was in 3/4 and I didn't even realize it until he pointed it out. It does give it a more airy feel. A nice way to shake it up.
    Thanks. I play in a big band that does this as a waltz, so that’s how I think of the tune. Playing in that band gives me a lot of space to play with chord voicings, as long as I leave out the low and high notes. Playing solo turns that on it’s head — I’ve got to start with the melody and bass notes, then find a couple of chord tones to fill in the middle. It requires a different mental process. I’d like my solo playing better if I paid more attention to the melody and bass lines than the inside notes of the chords. Sometimes I’ll just practice playing the melody and bass without the other chord tones. Maybe I should try that on this tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Here’s my pretty ragged take, in the key of C. I need lots of work on fingering mechanics.
    Really nice, quite Lerch-like, if you don't mind my saying so.

John

User Info Menu

Here's my version.

It's scratchy in parts. Any feedback would be appreciated

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by momo90
    Here's my version.

It's scratchy in parts. Any feedback would be appreciated

Generally, pretty nice. Good tone, clear harmony, some good phrasing. There are couple of stumbles, and the tempo moves around a bit, so I'd say that you need to focus on execution a bit more, but it's pretty solid. Also, there are some spots were you play fills that are not quite fills; they're really just arpeggiations of the chord you just played. I think it would be a more interesting and effective arrangement if your fills were more distinct from the rest of what you're doing with the tune. For instance, instead of holding/arpeggiating a chord, break entirely from that chord with a single line fill, or play a block-chord phrase. Adding just that little bit of variety/motion and cleaning up the execution just a bit would take it up a level.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Really nice, quite Lerch-like, if you don't mind my saying so.
    John
    I’m flattered for any comparison to Tim. I’m an admirer, have taken a handful of lessons from him, and attend a couple of performances a year. I lack the discipline to ever come close to his amazingly fluid playing, but I’m glad you can at least hear some influence. Solo Guitar Tune #3 - Tenderly

User Info Menu

So this is my final effort on "Tenderly." I have tried to work in my favorite ideas without overloading it. I also will post maybe tomorrow a version on my "new" 1964 RED Hagström I, which actually sounds pretty doggone good on this.

User Info Menu

Hey Lawson....nice playing.....you ever play your guitar for your students? Sit there and play while your students are getting seated.

Today I played in a park and two college age girls sat on a bench and ate lunch. After lunch they walked over and said they enjoyed my playing. A bunch of other people walked by and clapped including three kids. Some days nobody pays me any mind. Today, the great big old tree kept throwing these little balls at me. It's fun to play in the park.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So this is my final effort on "Tenderly." I have tried to work in my favorite ideas without overloading it. I also will post maybe tomorrow a version on my "new" 1964 RED Hagström I, which actually sounds pretty doggone good on this.

I really like this version. Great job. Nice feel.

User Info Menu

That was really nice Lawson!!

User Info Menu

Very nice arrangements and playing in this thread. I thought I should share mine also. I only got to A-part and it's pretty basic melody with some chords. All feed back welcome. I know I stumble here and there and I think it would have been easier to play with backing track. Alltough this will tell more about my playing skills (or lack of them )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jhui
    Very nice arrangements and playing in this thread. I thought I should share mine also. I only got to A-part and it's pretty basic melody with some chords. All feed back welcome. I know I stumble here and there and I think it would have been easier to play with backing track. Alltough this will tell more about my playing skills (or lack of them )

Very nice Jhui! Very nice clarity in your tone and the chords you were using sounded very nice as well!

User Info Menu

A solid effort. Pretty tone. At the present stage, I would suggest you could simply fill the "spaces" by gently sounding the chords on the beat. My clip includes that technique. It has the benefit of helping the listener (and the player!) feel the pulse of the tune.

User Info Menu

Good tone and played cleanly. The thing about playing standards is you can present them simply and they still shine.

Good job.

User Info Menu

Great playing, Pkirk. The intro/outro is so cool!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    a bit late with a submission.
    Wow that was really cool and innovative.

User Info Menu

Here is my "take" on the tune played on my "new" 1964 Hagström I. The pickups, "they" say, are somewhat between the Fender style and the P90. With little experience playing solid bodies with single-coil pickups, I have no idea. I bought this guitar because one just like it was my first "real" electric guitar back when I was a kid. Nostalgia impulse purchase, but I've had a ton of fun with this guitar. I still haven't quite got the touch for lighter strings, and the body size is not totally comfortable yet, but I like this guitar and it has its own voice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    a bit late with a submission.

Love it! It has a lot of the Barney Kessel kind of verve and vibe about it, esp. the intro/outro. Forceful, unhesitating, unashamed to punch and swing!

Here is my "take" on the tune played on my "new" 1964 Hagström I. The pickups, "they" say, are somewhat between the Fender style and the P90. With little experience playing solid bodies with single-coil pickups, I have no idea. I bought this guitar because one just like it was my first "real" electric guitar back when I was a kid. Nostalgia impulse purchase, but I've had a ton of fun with this guitar. I still haven't quite got the touch for lighter strings, and the body size is not totally comfortable yet, but I like this guitar and it has its own voice.

Nice. Probably my favorite Lawson arrangement ever. A different rhythmic freedom than I've heard in the past. Nice improv touches throughout. Good job.

User Info Menu

Very nice arranging and playing, and really nice tone! And a whammy bar!!! I love whammy bars. My only comment would be to use it more! Just hold the tip in the palm of you hand and use it for expressiveness.

I have whammy bars on the solid bodies I use in the band and have almost come to rely on them. It's a different style of music of course.

User Info Menu

Solo Guitar Tune #3 - Tenderly-sddefault-jpg