The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 199

User Info Menu

From PaulW10

Hello All,

Welcome to the Solo Guitar Arranging Group! This is song thread #3, Tenderly, which was one of the finalists in a poll by the group.

Players of all levels and abilities are welcome to participate here. Please join us!

The idea is to start a different song thread periodically and encourage everyone to post a video or recording of how they would play/arrange that particular tune for solo guitar (i.e. with no other accompaniment).

Group Guidelines

Here are general guidelines for the group.

1. All levels of players are strongly encouraged to participate, from beginners on up. We hope the group may even be rewarded occasionally, if not often, with contributions by seasoned pros and prominent guitarists. However, no matter your skill level you are strongly encouraged to join in. If you are open to hearing constructive comments and suggestions from the group, indicate #c&cwelcome in the title of your post.

2. The arrangement can be easy and simple, or elaborate and complex, or simply playing it on the fly. It’s all about each person’s own interpretation and approach.

3. After posting the arrangement, each person is encouraged to also post (in a video, on a recording or in writing) their approach to the song, or to specific parts of the song. This explanatory content can be in as much or as little detail as desired (or none at all). If the person is seeking specific help from the group this is a good place to ask for it.

4. Written notations of the arrangement are certainly not expected. Each person can decide how to handle any such requests from the group.

5. Future song selections and frequency will be made based on suggestions received and what appears to be a consensus. I’ll try and post a lead sheet for each song selection if that would be helpful. Of course, people can still play the song in any key (or keys) they choose.

6. Encouragement to each person for their contributions are encouraged. Unless the performer indicates a willingness to hear criticisms (see #1 above), participants should not offer criticisms of individual performances. Advice should only be offered if the person specifically asks for it. Even then resist criticizing anything to do with the interpretation or "artsy" side of the performance and comment on techniques and tips instead (for example playing a particular passage or suggesting chord embellishments, etc.)

7. Participation in group discussions is encouraged for all, even if a person does not want to personally post their own arrangements at present for whatever reason.

Goals of Group

1. To encourage each other to become better solo guitar players and to share knowledge and skills in a friendly and helpful setting. If we individually work up an arrangement and then bring it to the group, it will be invaluable to see how people handled the song or specific parts of the song. We will all enhance our guitar skills and vocabulary. New ideas or approaches would even be useful to the most advanced players.

2. To increase our repertoire of solo guitar songs.

3. To build confidence in playing for others, sharing our skills and in recording ourselves.

Since there is a new thread for each song, there is no time pressure to keep up with the group. People can post to each song thread when they’re ready to.

The Days of Wine and Roses and Here's That Rainy Day were the group’s first two songs. There are separate thread for those. If you want to post a video or recording of those songs, it’s never too late. Please do so in those threads and help keep them going as well!

I've attached a lead sheet of Tenderly if that would be helpful.

We hope everyone will join in and participate however you choose.

Attached Images Attached Images Solo Guitar Tune #3 - Tenderly-irealtenderly-jpg 
    Last edited by Gramps; 03-21-2018 at 04:27 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well if you're going to steal yours from the practical standards thread, so will I!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Well if you're going to steal yours from the practical standards thread, so will I!

Efficient use of practice time

I really like your version. That guitar just has that "jazz" sound to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Efficient use of practice time

I really like your version. That guitar just has that "jazz" sound to me.
    Thanks (like your sound too!). Have to say the 175 is very convenient for recording, I seem to get much the same tone regardless of whether I go to lots of trouble mic'ing the amp, or if I just plug it into my recorder direct.

I bought this guitar 36 years ago and blew my first few wage packets on it, I just wanted a guitar that would sound like Pass/Burrell/etc. and the 175 was the only jazz guitar I had heard of! It's been my only jazz guitar ever since, really. But it did take a long time to develop my tone to where it is now. A lot of experimenting with pick angle etc. went on, for years.

User Info Menu

The 175 is a classic and that sound is why.

I'm just sitting in front of my iPhone. No mics or direct input. Just enough effort to share ideas.

I'm looking forward to hearing some other tracks too.

User Info Menu

Ok, there has been some interest in doing another solo guitar study group so I'll just kick it off and see what happens.

I did this track for the Practical Standards thread but it should work for this too. Please feel free to join in.

The bed track is from YouTube and there are others there to choose from.

Solo guitar with backing track? I don't get it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Solo guitar with backing track? I don't get it.
    No problem Cosmic, I'll delete it. It's not like I can't play without the track but I'm not going to bother. I interpreted "solo guitar" as chord melody but don't want to ruffle feathers.

My post is gone. Thanks for your input and am looking forward to hearing your track.
    Last edited by Gramps; 03-20-2018 at 07:41 AM.

User Info Menu

I’ll probably use a drum track if I do one.

Gramps, I appreciate your tasteful playing.

Backing track sounded like the inappropriate movies Uncle Mike used to watch

User Info Menu

Hi All
    I was cruising YouTube and what do you know?!?! I find our very on "Gramps" playing "our" song, "Tenderly" in a lovely chord-melody style. Yes, he uses a backing track, but I'm sure nobody will mind since it in no way obscures the splendid voicings and beautiful playing he does here. If I recall, he might have posted this on the Practical Standards thread. Some people might think it doesn't belong here since it isn't technically "solo" but since he's one of us and he's playing our song... thought I'd share.

Hope Gramps doesn't mind, but I just enjoyed this and wanted to share it.

User Info Menu

No problem Cosmic, I'll delete it. It's not like I can't play without the track but I'm not going to bother. I interpreted "solo guitar" as chord melody but don't want to ruffle feathers.

My post is gone. Thanks for your input and am looking forward to hearing your track.
    Sigh, no good deed goes unpunished.

Maybe we should all use backing tracks now in solidarity. Free Gramps! Hell no, we won't play solo! Hey ho, hey ho, unaccompanied playing has got to go!

Or not ...

John

User Info Menu

No deed goes unpunished could be the subtext of the past couple of "Solo Guitar Tunes" threads.

Even when people are trying to help each other some third party feels they have to dump a load over the whole thing. I felt bad for some of the people who were dumped on in the last one so thought..............everyone else seems to be kind of gun shy so I'll just get the next thread started. (Place subtext here)

With that said I should also thank all of the people who were so generous with their knowledge and performances. I learned a lot so thank you.

Now I'm looking forward to hearing some other people play Tenderly.

User Info Menu

Here's my short take on it...

User Info Menu

Playing solo tune arrange/chord-melody with backing track you you everything under control...

User Info Menu

No deed goes unpunished could be the subtext of the past couple of "Solo Guitar Tunes" threads.

Even when people are trying to help each other some third party feels they have to dump a load over the whole thing. I felt bad for some of the people who were dumped on in the last one so thought..............everyone else seems to be kind of gun shy so I'll just get the next thread started. (Place subtext here)

With that said I should also thank all of the people who were so generous with their knowledge and performances. I learned a lot so thank you.

Now I'm looking forward to hearing some other people play Tenderly.
    I'll try to get to one soon (I've got some ideas cooking), though maybe not before the weekend.

John

User Info Menu

ok players with no backing track get 20 bonus points for the additional challenge. Sound good kris? lol silliness

User Info Menu

I love your playing PaulD.

Thanks for helping get things rolling.

User Info Menu

My only complaint on Gramps backing track is that it is so excruciatingly cheesy. His playing way out classes whatever that was! In any case, Gramps never said he wasn't going to make a recording for this group. He was just getting the ball rolling with a clip he already had.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    I’ll probably use a drum track if I do one.

Gramps, I appreciate your tasteful playing.

Backing track sounded like the inappropriate movies Uncle Mike used to watch
    Or we could take all the solo clips and then post backing tracks we've made to go with the clips... wait...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Or we could take all the solo clips and then post backing tracks we've made to go with the clips... wait...
    Sorry, I don't get this one.

Anyway I look forward to recording one this weekend if I can get the kids to cooperate!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Sorry, I don't get this one.

Anyway I look forward to recording one this weekend if I can get the kids to cooperate!
    Just poking a little fun at the complaint that gramps had a backing track... sometimes my humor can be a little bit upside down...

This frigging tune... Beastly in spots. Hope to actually learn it eventually. One of my favorites. Here's a first offering.

[I'm embarrassed to think about the number of times I've played it the last couple of weeks... Oh nevermind... I'll just lie instead]:

"Never seen/heard it before. Just reading through..." :-)

The head is rough and I didn't quite land the ending, but I liked some of the improv ideas better on this take. Anyway, not a finished work, but comments/critiques appreciated.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 03-20-2018 at 09:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD
    Here's my short take on it...

Very nice arrangement. And great sound you are getting out of that guitar!

User Info Menu

[/VIDEO]

User Info Menu

Forgive me, I asked a simple question and you took it as some kind of accusation? Sorry you felt you had to delete your track for me.

I'm not very active on chord melody/solo guitar threads, I was truly confused about using backing tracks in these type of threads, because if acceptable, they might be a game changer to participation for a lot of folks. Still didn't get any kind of straight answer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Whiteman
    [/VIDEO]
    Chris, thanks for the kind words on my arrangement. I'm a big fan of your videos and your version here is just beautiful!

Paul