The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 91

User Info Menu

This is probably old hat for most of you, but I just ran across this on youtube in the last few days. I really like his chord melody style of playing, which he credits to Allan Ruess. He seems to have quite a nice collection of guitars as well ! Lots of youtubes...maybe he is a member here, I dunno ! Check him out if you havent already:

Last edited by pcpicker47; 02-15-2018 at 05:58 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jonathan is a well-known and appreciated member here. He's doing some amazing work, and is happy to share his knowledge. We need more Jonathan Stouts in this world!

User Info Menu

Here's a link to Jonathan's blog. Well worth reading.

Swing Guitar Blog — Jonathan Stout and his Campus Five featuring Hilary Alexander

User Info Menu

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for posting that Allan Reuss inspired chord melody solo - very nice!

Although I've heard some recordings of Allan before, I'm more familiar with Carl Kress, Dick McDonough, and George Barnes who also played in that "dixieland" style - at least that's what I call it for lack of a better word.

I'm glad you are keeping that style alive for everyone to hear.

User Info Menu

Mark thanks for posting that link to his blog...very very interesting ! Wow...I continue to be blown away with his playing...cant get enough !

User Info Menu

You can see a few more videos with Jonathon playing here: Olde Town Pickin' Parlor
    - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcpicker47
    Mark thanks for posting that link to his blog...very very interesting ! Wow...I continue to be blown away with his playing...cant get enough !
    I know the feeling! I think this was the first video of Jonathan's that I saw. Still look at from time to time. Love the feel of this.

User Info Menu

Seems like a great style to have some good familiarity and fluency in. I could see using this playing solo guitar, duo, trio or anything larger.

User Info Menu

Here's a lesson Jonathan did on Allen Reuss' chord melody style.

Jonathan is devoted to this style of music, which makes his blog essential reading. He knows his stuff and tells it straight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    You can see a few more videos with Jonathon playing here: Olde Town Pickin' Parlor
    - YouTube
    Wow these are very entertaining videos! Thanks for posting. I bought a guitar there many years ago when visiting some family in Denver.

User Info Menu

Jonathan Stout is my main inspiration to play swing music around here in Brazil. I learn a lot from his videos and songs and I really hope to see he playing live some day.

User Info Menu

Boy what a nice thread to run across - thanks everybody!

So, with Swing-era Chord Melody stuff, I tend to compose/orchestrate the heads which helps me find new voicings and approaches to chords, and then I like to compose a solo chorus so I can plan an approach to soloing over the chords. Once I've got both the melody and a solo chorus pretty well memorized and under my fingers, it makes attempting an ad lib solo a lot easier, because I've got some tricks up my sleeve. I think it's a good way of not only becoming a better chord melody player, but learning the melody of tune, and seeing it's relationship to the chord underneath is huge lesson to being a better musician.

That said, I tend write one of these arrangements, practice it a ton, do a video of it, practice it bunch more, but then it either becomes something I play a lot, or it sort of falls out of rotation and I start to forget/loose muscle memory, and then I have to relearn it if I want to play it. But my goal has been to be able to play a couple sets of solo chord melody guitar, and that's a lot to keep well practiced on.

But a bigger problem of practicing alone is that it's too easy to stop when I make a mistake, and there's nothing like the accountability of having a live audience. So, I've been starting to do Facebook live videos every so often where I go out on my front porch, set up my iphone and play for 15-20 minutes. This has usually correlated to when my 18 month is napping during the day, or while my wife is putting him down for bed in the evening. Anyway, the last one I did stretched out to about 45 minutes, and while I still made some mistakes, I think there was a lot of stuff worth keeping, so I extracted the video from Facebook and put it up on Youtube.

There's a bunch of noodling between tunes, and some single note stuff mixed in here and there, but I hope you all will dig it.

User Info Menu

I already have all your chord melodies videos in mp3 to listen and study and now I can have an entire set. Thanks.

I would love to have a book from you. I know it's a lot of work to do, but it would be a great thing for the swing guitar lovers.
    Last edited by clebergf; 03-21-2018 at 08:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    I already have all your chord melodies videos in mp3 to listen and study and now I can have an entire set. Thanks.

I would love to have a book from you. I know it's a lot of work to do, but it would be a great thing for the swing guitar lovers.
    I’ll buy my copy right now.

User Info Menu

Jonathan is such an inspiration to me...I have been working daily on his tunes that he has posted to youtube...lots of great things to learn from watching his playing...I feel like I have learned a great deal since I discovered his playing.

User Info Menu

Jonathan is one of the best out there. Hoping he gets around to releasing his transcriptions some day!

User Info Menu

So, good news for anyone interested in this thread: I'm going to be recording an album of swing-style solo chord melody guitar in two weeks. I've only got one session scheduled, though I may do another if I don't get what I need on the first pass. But, considering mixing is going to get a lot faster for a one instrument session than my usual band CDs, I'm hoping to have it out in time for Christmas.

Anyway, here's another installment of my porch practice sessions that have been leading up this:

User Info Menu

This is amazing Jonathan. Have fun recording and I'm looking forward to hear it.

User Info Menu

Man, that sounds great!

User Info Menu

Should you plan releasing also a tabs book with your album ... count me in

User Info Menu

Jonathan, that is great news ! I will buy a cd for sure...I really enjoy your playing as well as any I have heard.
    Thanks !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    So, good news for anyone interested in this thread: I'm going to be recording an album of swing-style solo chord melody guitar in two weeks. I've only got one session scheduled, though I may do another if I don't get what I need on the first pass. But, considering mixing is going to get a lot faster for a one instrument session than my usual band CDs, I'm hoping to have it out in time for Christmas.

Anyway, here's another installment of my porch practice sessions that have been leading up this:
    is that an ebbets field flannel hat?! i love those guys!

User Info Menu

I hate those guys. I'm a third-generation StL fan (my grandson is fifth-gen) and the NY teams were killing them when I was young, back in the '50s. I've never been able to get over my dislike of the Dodgers and Giants. May they dwell in the cellar forever!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I hate those guys. I'm a third-generation StL fan (my grandson is fifth-gen) and the NY teams were killing them when I was young, back in the '50s. I've never been able to get over my dislike of the Dodgers and Giants. May they dwell in the cellar forever!
    So, that's not a Brooklyn Dodgers hats. It's a reproduction of a pre-Castro Cuban team, "Los Barbudos". It's made by Ebbetts Field Flannels, a company that specializes in really nice flannel hats and jerseys, but specifically for extinct teams. I enjoy a good baseball game from time to time, but I really dread the rivalry thing. I have enough negativity coursing through my head all time without that drama.

User Info Menu

There is no negativity in baseball. Hope springs eternal, and there is always next year.