Posts 51 to 75 of 91

User Info Menu

Jonathan,

Any update on the folio?

thanks
    Brion

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I haven't made much headway on the folio, honestly, because January ended up being a much busier month than I'd intended.
    Our big band gig required me to write 7 big band arrangements from scratch, and that took a bunch of time.

Here's my latest porch practice session. While it's not "polar-vortex" cold here in Los Angeles, it was below 50 degrees F, so I only lasted three tunes, "Sunday", "As Long As I Live" and "Penthouse Serenade".

By the way, if you're interested in hearing those arrangements, here's all of them, being played for a dance contest:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    I haven't made much headway on the folio, honestly, because January ended up being a much busier month than I'd intended.
    Our big band gig required me to write 7 big band arrangements from scratch, and that took a bunch of time.

Here's my latest porch practice session. While it's not "polar-vortex" cold here in Los Angeles, it was below 50 degrees F, so I only lasted three tunes, "Sunday", "As Long As I Live" and "Penthouse Serenade".

By the way, if you're interested in hearing those arrangements, here's all of them, being played for a dance contest:

Hey Jonathan!

Big fan of your Allan Reuss studies and chord melody playing! Much to learn from your clips. Also, I'm a fellow lindy hopper and balboa enthusiast. Seeing this CalBal vid make me miss the days of traveling to see the California swing dance scene. Saw your orchestra at Bal Rendezvous in San Diego! And I have this vague recollection of you doing an impromptu guitar jam with Steve Garrett between the event classes. Us lucky onlookers were very impressed.

--Ed

User Info Menu

The porch practice session is missing for me. I just see blank space.

BTW, who's your vibist?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The porch practice session is missing for me. I just see blank space.

BTW, who's your vibist?
    Here's the direct link:
    Facebook

The vibraphone player we use here in Los Angeles is Craig Fundyga.

User Info Menu

Ah, Facebook. I have Facebook completely blocked in my browser, that must be why I'm not seeing anything. I do a lot of things, but Facebook is not one of them. I'll have to check Craig out.

User Info Menu

Jonathan, have you ever considered creating a Patreon page? I know a lot of us would love to support your music, especially if you were to give mini-lessons and thoughts about how you work out your arrangements. I know your time is limited with the amount of musical and career work plus normal life stuff, but maybe you could just charge a fixed amount for when you post as opposed to trying to a fixed amount of things each month.

PS - I cannot wait until you find the time to release your arrangements from the solo album. They are amazing.

User Info Menu

Jonathan

Please don't give up on the folio idea. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to purchase a copy.
    I am enjoying "Pick It and Play It" very much.

Though a real publication complete with that nice artwork would be nice digital downloads of individual songs might be an easier way to go?

Georgia on My Mind would be my first request

User Info Menu

Hi Jonathan,

Would you consider putting your solo album on Spotify like you have with the Campus Five albums?

Cheers!!

User Info Menu

It's already there Mambazo, but consider buying it on Bandcamp, it's helps Jonathan keep his incredible work.

Jonathan Stout on Spotify

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    It's already there Mambazo, but consider buying it on Bandcamp, it's helps Jonathan keep his incredible work.

Jonathan Stout on Spotify
    You're right! How did I not spot that? (no pun intended)

I'll of course support on bandcamp. It was more for convenience

User Info Menu

Any updates on the folio?

User Info Menu

I am very late to the party. Somehow the release escaped me. Now I’ve had it on rotation for the whole day yesterday and I must say that “Pick it and Play it” is just magnificent. Acoustic swing guitar at its very best, musically delightful and culturally very important. I am also very much looking forward to Jon’s folio, if and when he’ll find the time.

Added bonuses: in reading Jonathan’s post (JAZZLIVES Review for "Pick It and Play It" — Jonathan Stout and his Campus Five featuring Hilary Alexander ) and the excellent “Jazztimes” review of the record, I discovered about Frank Victor, and about another spectacular swing record: Kennan McKenzie’s “Forged in Rhythm”. For those of you who haven’t listened to it, do so. It’s a collection of great swing originals (a rarity in itself), the band smokes and Jonathan on guitar, in particular, offers another stellar performance.

Both records – Pick it and Play it and Forged in Rhythm - are available on Spotify, but as @clebergf suggested I’m off to Bandcamp to support these wonderful musicians and the work they’re doing to keep swing music alive and relevant.

I’m off to spread the word in other fora…

User Info Menu

Hey all, I had a lovely 35+ minute porch practice session the other day, and I figured I'd share it here.
    It starts off with a bit of Rodgers and Hart's "Manhattan", and then I introduce the tunes from there.
    Enjoy

User Info Menu

Hey all, I had a lovely 35+ minute porch practice session the other day, and I figured I'd share it here.
    It starts off with a bit of Rodgers and Hart's "Manhattan", and then I introduce the tunes from there.
    Enjoy

great playing!

User Info Menu

For some reason I cannot see this video in Safari on my iPad.

And checking now on my PC (Firefox) I still can't see it. The message is blank where the video would normally display.

Jonathan's other recently-posted videos display fine on both devices.
    Last edited by pcjazz; 02-11-2020 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added info

User Info Menu

Works ok on my iPad in safari. It appears to be a link to a Facebook video, maybe that has something to do with it.

User Info Menu

Works on my Android phone in Chrome.

User Info Menu

Works fine on my chromebook. And that's a really lovely sounding guitar.

User Info Menu

Jonathan...do you still have plans to put out a book/folio for your Pick it and Play it album?

User Info Menu

Hello all,

I've not made much progress on a folio because the rights to the songs I didn't write would be pretty expensive, and likely eat up the cost of doing a book. I'm not giving up, but....

For now, I've released PDF sheet music with TAB for the two tunes I composed and arranged for the album, "Pickin' for Charlie" and "Charlie's Lullabye" available on bandcamp.

Bandcamp doesn't have a download delivery system for a non-audio file, so buy it and I'll email it to you.
    Both tunes just $5.00 (USD). No shipping or anything.

"Pickin' for Charlie" / "Charlie's Lullabye" Sheet Music/Tab (PDF only) | Jonathan Stout

User Info Menu

Quick gearhead question: Did you actually use the National for the Roy Smeck tune? The tone reminded me of a YouTube clip in which you used the National.

User Info Menu

Enjoy

Is really filmed in February ? And it is not Australia or Agentina right?
    I also want to come out on the porch in shirt in February!

Great playing as usually! THank you!

User Info Menu

It's southern California. It seldom gets very cold there. People down here on the Gulf Coast have been wearing shorts and flip-flops much of the time. It's like a uniform.

User Info Menu

Here's a new tune I wrote and arranged as a bit of theme for staying #safeathome and it's called "All Cooped Up".

What's more, I've already got the tune transcribed and the PDF sheet music/tab up in my bandcamp store:
    "All Cooped Up" Sheet Music/Tab (PDF only) | Jonathan Stout

And I'm still doing (mostly) daily solo porch-casts at Jonathan Stout, Swing Guitar - Home | Facebook (usually around 3-4pm PDT, or whenever my kid takes his nap). I leave them up afterward if you can't watch live.

Oh and I've been doing a couple lessons a week, so hit me up if you want to do one. I've been using zoom, and I've gotten great audio quality, and the ability to set up a second camera. Cheers, all!