The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 238

User Info Menu

@dominatrix it sounds to me like you had a VERY successful first stab. I mean the experience, I haven’t yet listened to your arrangement (but I will). There was a Ted talk with a brain scientist who said mild frustration was what learning “felt” like to the brain. That was one of the most life changing things I’ve ever heard on YouTube (admittedly not a high bar Solo guitar tune #1 - Days of Wine and Roses).

I would suggest taking a stab at a whole slew of tunes before turning your attention at refining them. The idea is to get passed the stage where starting an arrangement is frustratingly difficult and move on to the stage where making it sound good is frustratingly difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OK so after the Alpha and Omega that is Tim's version, I thought some of you might benefit from watching me practice it badly.

This is not a tune I know that well, or play that often, so actually it may be helpful to some to watch me mess it up and get it a bit wrong and apply some basic techniques that I would use.

Eventually, it might get to the point where I would be comfortable putting a version out there, but TBH I probably won't get that far with this one ATM.

But you might find it useful. Please don't use as blackmail material. ;-)

User Info Menu

My last version as well. Just a run through the whole tune once. I'm happy to get it down. Leave the fireworks to others. Looking forward to the next one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    OK so after the Alpha and Omega that is Tim's version, I thought some of you might benefit from watching me practice it badly.

This is not a tune I know that well, or play that often, so actually it may be helpful to some to watch me mess it up and get it a bit wrong and apply some basic techniques that I would use.

Eventually, it might get to the point where I would be comfortable putting a version out there, but TBH I probably won't get that far with this one ATM.

But you might find it useful. Please don't use as blackmail material. ;-)
    That was very fun and informative to watch!! I really liked your approach. If I understand you start with learning the melody first, then add a bass line and then start letting the arrangement grow from there adding chords, runs and fills as you see fit. It's a very organic approach (I think that's the word I'm looking for). Everything is home grown as it's literally is being created with the knowledge and talents in your head. Very impressive! So, is this your typical approach to learning songs? Do you ever refer to written music?

And I certainly understand the time constraints for playing like you talk about near the end. I play in a cover band and hate it when the band learns new stuff and I have to spend practice time on it rather than my own solo playing which is really what I enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup
    Oh that's you!

I was so busy ogling your guitar :-)

Lovely romantic playing Paul. And your nerves didn't show at all!

PS. Re timing of new tunes, how about once a fortnight, with you chosing the tune?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    This study group seems to have gotten unprecedented interest and participation. Excellent! But I think a lot of “problems” will sort themselves out if we just keep going as originally planned.

3) just pick a tune and start a new thread. If people want to come back here and do an update, great! If someone wants to use this thread to analyze DOWAR, awesome! If you pick a tune people don’t like, its their problem. They will just skip it. So what? Maybe they will do the third.

In short, I think there is a risk of overthinking making this a negative. It was your idea, you are the OP, just do it the way you want and I bet you will have a nice core group along for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    I have loved this group so far and was waiting until the 15th for a new song to start. If I don't like the song I won't participate and will wait for the next month. That is why I suggested a committee so it would not place all the pressure on Paul.
    Thanks Sunnysideup for ogling my guitar!! I really love the guitar. I bought it from QAman here on the forum around the holidays.

Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions that I pick put the songs. Frankly I'm not sure I could take the pressure and heat to do that job!

The last time this topic was discussed we thought we'd announce a new song on the 15th of each month. Why don't we try that for Feb 15 and see how that one goes?

So how about everyone post suggested songs here or PM them to me in the next couple of days? I'll keep and post a list of all of them. By the weekend we can decide if we need a poll or if one or a few emerge as clear winners and we can just do them in order. May I suggest we stick to the popular standards songbook type material for a few more songs as that seems to be what people feel strongest about as far as participating? Perhaps we could add some shorter songs more adaptable to improv down the road after we get rolling a little longer?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by diminix
    Took this thread as an impuls to try my first chord melody. I was hoping to find out how a CM is created while doing it... Well, that was a failure--all I did was trying to come up with any chord that had the melody note on top and didn't sound too bad, somehow include some of the notes in the harmony of the bar. Realized that my resulting chord grips are almost impossible to grab, even more when changing to the next impossible grip. Filled random notes to help me change from one chord to the next, lost the overview of melody, form, rhythm, time. It just developed into something I didn't intend to make (and barely can stand to listen too). I didn't expect CM to be so hard...

The real horror began in the attempt to record it. I have bought a used Sennheiser e609, and tried to take the output of my amp into my Galaxy tab via a steinberg UR12 and put that into the video camera app. It took me days to solve uncountable problems with setting up the tab for recording. In the end I gave up after realizing that I couldn't get the USB LED on the UR12 to glow (connected to the tab via USB OTG). Took the audio interface to my office and connected it to the PC--where the recording software cannot be installed. Took audacity instead.

While trying to record with that setup I realized that I am unable to play what I have created without error. It took at least two dozen attempts until I gave up in despair. Obviously I do not have the least talent for doing this. The resulting soundtrack is a wreck, too quite, too much noise, so many screws to turn, just left it as it is.

And if all that wouldn't be enought--the finish is realizing that an MP3 file cannot be published here. So: create u-tube account and channel, find out how to make a video from an audio track, etc. What a f**k! Just wanted to get my feet wet with chord melody... Guess I need some time and distance to guitar and CM to reanimate myself.

Robert
    When I post tunes here, I do it in one of these ways:

1. Use my phone to capture audio and video. This is quickest and easiest, but not always the best sounding. If I'm playing through an amp I find it especially tricky to figure out how to position myself, the amp, and the phone so as to get a decent image while picking up the amp's sound and rejecting the the unamplified guitar sound. However, it's typically good enough. I then upload from my phone to youtube, post link here. (how I did my first DOWAR post)

2. Record only audio, using Garageband on my computer. If I have time alone at home during the day, I sometimes mic an amp, but that's a rarity and mostly go direct and use GB's amp plug-ins. The current version's plugins are as good as what I can get mic'ing an amp, TBH. And I think my days of micing amps at home are over. I use an inexpensive Presonus USB interface, which works great (in terms of levels, latency, and gazintas and gozoutas) and sounds fine. Upload audio to Soundcloud, post link here.

3. Record audio in the computer, per the above, while capturing video with either my phone or my computer's camera. I then import both the video and GB audio into iMovie, and synch them up. This is sometimes easy and sometimes a major PITA, depending on how many and which gremlins choose to show up. Export from iMovie to an .mp4 format, upload to youtube, link here. I did my second DOWAR this way. Recording/videoing took very little time, but the audio/video synching was gremlin-plagued.

4. Import just the audio into iMovie and drop a still picture into the iMovie timeline. Export/upload the resulting "video" (really just audio + a still) to youtube, post link here.

[I prefer not to post just the audio via Soundcloud because Soundcloud autoplays everything on my page there, and I have a lot of stuff there that's not quite fit for public consumption, but this is the quickest way to get just an audiofile posted.]

As to your version, I think it's fine. I would not say you don't have the least talent for this. Rather, you're new at it and it will take some time to get to a method that works for you. You're on the right track in terms of voicings and feel. I agree, though that you need to clean up the execution, as most of the rest of us.

To that point, I think everybody would do better not to focus too much on getting a perfect take. Assuming we're all in it to learn, I think our versions should be an honest reflection of where we're at with the tune. Both my versions had mistakes/clams. Neither was a first take (I always have a bunch of false starts because it's really hard to manage playing and recording and videoing at the same time); IIRC, both were second or third complete takes. Ideally, versions get better over time, and 4 or 5 tunes from now, it'll be easier to get cleaner takes more quickly. To the extent that the recording process itself gets in the way of that, simplify it (e.g., just use your phone and live with the limitations of its image and recording quality), and focus on playing in as real a way as you can.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10
    That was very fun and informative to watch!! I really liked your approach. If I understand you start with learning the melody first, then add a bass line and then start letting the arrangement grow from there adding chords, runs and fills as you see fit. It's a very organic approach (I think that's the word I'm looking for). Everything is home grown as it's literally is being created with the knowledge and talents in your head. Very impressive! So, is this your typical approach to learning songs? Do you ever refer to written music?
    Yeah pretty much... I try to be consistent with whatever I practice... All block chords, or melody with bass, whatever it is, apply over the whole tune...That way you have more of a toolbox you can draw on to improvise than a cut and dried arrangement.

I don't use written music for standards.

And I certainly understand the time constraints for playing like you talk about near the end. I play in a cover band and hate it when the band learns new stuff and I have to spend practice time on it rather than my own solo playing which is really what I enjoy!
    Ha! Well I figure it's how well I play on gigs that will get my hired, so I always prioritise the tunes I must play on gigs. If I had a solo guitar thing coming up, I'd prioritise that. I do a lot of trio stuff, which is similar on someways. You have to know the melody properly.

User Info Menu

On recording, I'm surprised that one option has been left out, but for me it's one of the easiest. A little money spent on a microphone that connects to your smartphone's digital-in port (the Lightning port on the iPhone, i don't know what on the others). this gives you the convenience of just recording on the phone, but the cable lets you place the phone optimally for video and capturing either the amp or your acoustic. And you can easily buy a microphone that beats the sound of the built in one (which is actually better than you'd expect).

I just made this clip doing that: plugged the mic into the phone, put the phone on a stand, hit "Record." I have added my usual title frame and a picture of the mic/amp setup (such as it is). But the sound is what I got from the mic into the phone.

Apologies for the playing! I'm working on an arrangement that uses some grips that are new for me, and I haven't quite got them down yet, but wanted to do this quick clip just to illustrate the sound you can get from a simple nice mic into your phone's Lightning (or whatever your phone calls it's digital port -not the 1/8" plug).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

......."wanted to do this quick clip just to illustrate the sound you can get from a simple nice mic into your phone's Lightning (or whatever your phone calls it's digital port -not the 1/8" plug)."
    I think Apple refers to that port as a "Money maker".

Your arrangement is coming along nicely.

I worked on mine all weekend and when I sat down to practice it on Tuesday found my hands were so sore (I have repetitive movement injuries on my left hand and elbow) I had to give it a rest for a few days. I should be able to post mine within a week.

What mic did you use?

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the heads up feedback! Guess I was really down after all the hassle related to recording. For my first CM project 90 % of the time I invested was wasted on technical crud with audio interface, tablet and desktop computer. And that stuff is always connected to high blood pressure and rage. There you have some potential of optimization for the next CM...

@ lawson & John A. -- My social sublayer existence doesn't permit Apple products;-) So John is right that I am using Android. In the end it looks like my Galaxy tab is unable to power up the audio interface via USB OTG, and the standard Android camery app doesn't support external microphones. Interestingly my Galaxy S4 smart phone will light the USB LED on the audio interface, checked it by plugging in. Since the device is my companys property, I may not use it to install any apps or make a setup to record private stuff (and I will not mess with my wifes smart phone). I tried to use the built in micro with the camera app in my tab at first, but the result was not very pleasant (most of the audio was my wheezing breath, rustling of clothes, mechanical noise of my cramped hands working the guitar and some faint speaker output in the back). The next setup I chose was because I had the Steinberg UR12 lying around and got hold of a cheap Sennheiser microphone. As an engineer and software developer I should have known too good that projects starting with the words "Easy, you just have to [...]" are prone to end in a desaster. I will not care about all that technical hassle and invest much more time into playing guitar.

@ rlrhett -- dominatrix -> diminix .. I would consider my personality to be of the diminshed type, not dominant;-) regarding your TED Talk reference and feeling my frustration, I can imagine that I learned a lot. I will go on, follow your suggestion and work on new tunes for the following projects. No refining work on the last one, just leave it as it is. Trying to follow this study group. For the next time I am going to find a more systematic way into working out a CM. Saw a video of Greg O'Rourke last night that gives some principle ideas about CM.

Robert

User Info Menu

For the next time I am going to find a more systematic way into working out a CM. Saw a video of Greg O'Rourke last night that gives some principle ideas about CM.
    For what it's worth, when I started doing this CM stuff I had no systematic approach, I just tried all the chords I knew which fitted the given chord progression and which had the right melody note on top.

In fact that's more or less how I still do it, although I have recently added in some 'Barry Harris ' stuff which also helps.

It is definitely one of those things that at first seems incredibly slow and difficult, but if you stick at it, eventually you should find it gets easier and more intuitive.

By the way I thought yours was pretty good, nice sound and voicings.

User Info Menu

@diminix I can suggest two “programs” for learning a systematic approach to solo arrangements.

The first is Frank Vignola’s Truefire.com course “1-2-3 Jazz Chord Melody”. The second is Robert Conti’s DVD and book “Chord Melody Assembly Line”. They are pedagogically very similar. So much so, I suspect FV was essentially trying to duplicate Conti’s book for a new format.

I got both, and it certainly helped break the ice and give me the tools to actually start. It is a bit plodding and pedantic, but it was the foundation needed. I don’t really use much of that now, but without that foundation I think I would be still sitting there overwhelmed and thinking solo arranging is some wizardry of magic faire people.

PS: Sorry about your name earlier. I have a sense of humor not everyone appreciates. I had written it correctly at first, but the juxtaposition of your name and taking a “stab at it” proved irresistible.

User Info Menu

@ grahambop -- (etc)
    Thanks for the appreciation Robert! I guess I like to get to the point where playing becomes intuitive, and now I find I can do quite a bit of CM stuff just by ear. But sometimes I will get stuck, then I'll look at the main chord tones and the melody note, and see what I can come up with. Quite often I omit the root of the chord if it's too difficult to accommodate. Just a 3 or 2 note rootless chord is often enough. Where there's an ascending or descending melody line I do find the Barry Harris 6th/diminished stuff very handy to get a quick harmonization. I like getting quick results I must admit!

Re. the video/recording stuff, it is quite tricky. I don't even have a smartphone. For the video I will either record on the laptop webcam, or using my iPad (the iPad gives really good results actually). But I like to get good quality audio, so I always record the audio at the same time to another device, then match up the video and audio afterwards on my desktop using a video program. So it's all a bit fiddly, but I insist on getting good audio on my videos, that's just me. I tend to record the audio either into a small Korg SOS recorder (as mentioned), or into my desktop PC using line-in and Audacity.

It would be nice to record the audio into my iPad along with the video capture, but I can't figure out a way of doing that. I can record great audio on the iPad using a Line6 sonic port into Garageband. But I don't think it will do both the video capture and the Garageband audio capture simultaneously. Whichever app is running seems to block the other one. Maybe there's a clever solution somewhere, perhaps I should look into it again.

User Info Menu

Since everyone is moving on I'd better post where I am at the moment.

I never intended to learn this song but there were so many really nice interpretations that I had to learn it.

I recorded this while drinking my coffee this morning . I have a long way to go before can say I really know the song but I'm working on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps

I never intended to learn this song but there were so many really nice interpretations that I had to learn it.

I recorded this while drinking my coffee this morning . I have a long way to go before can say I really know the song but I'm working on it.

That was VERY nice. Thanks for posting it. Nice chords, feel and tone. I really liked it.

Remember this thread will continue on!! Just because new threads will start doesn't mean this one will be forgotten!!

User Info Menu

Oh yeah. That's what I'm talking about. Nice. Clean, beautiful, lush.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Oh yeah. That's what I'm talking about. Nice. Clean, beautiful, lush.
    Thanks Lawson-Stone. I learned a lot from watching your posts and many other's. This thread makes a great lesson for learning the song.

User Info Menu

That was great !! Nice Tone, nice chord voicings.

User Info Menu

Wes's solo, together with the chord melody theme statement posted earlier, it's the full monty.

User Info Menu

Wes's solo, together with the chord melody theme statement posted earlier, it's the full monty.
    We still don't have YOUR handling of the tune! With all the fantastic ideas you've shared and the great videos of classical performances, we haven't had a chance to hear you play it. The Peanut Gallery is clamoring! Sun-Ny! Sun-Ny! Su-Ny!

User Info Menu

hahaha yes Lawson I am acutely aware of that.

As mentioned earlier I live in a very remote area, and next week I may finally get the time to drive over the mountains to check out a Zoom box.

But it's Grahambop we should be worried about not me!

P.S.
    Did I really post a classic performance? I hope not. Personally I think this thread has benefitted from not being flooded with youtube videos, it's helped to keep the focus imho.

I wonder if there's a way just to post a youtube URL without embedding the video?

I took the liberty with Wes and Joe Pass because they were instructional videos rather than performances, and really accurate I think.

cheers
    Last edited by sunnysideup; 02-13-2018 at 07:10 AM.

User Info Menu

hahaha yes Lawson I am acutely aware of that.

As mentioned earlier I live in a very remote area, and next week I may finally get the time to drive over the mountains to pick a Zoom box.

But it's Grahambop we should be worried about not me!
    haha thanks, as it happens I have been learning both Days of Runny Noses (as they are in the UK right now!) and Embraceable You (for the PS thread). Trying to do both as solo pieces, it's just finding the time at the weekend to set up all the video stuff when I feel comfortable with them.

Also trying to rig up my iPad so it shows a decent view down onto the fretboard, I realized I tend to play a bit 'Freddie Green' with the guitar tilted back so it actually needs to be quite high up for this. Currently working on a 'Heath Robinson' contraption involving a music stand and an elastic band (!).

User Info Menu

Some things I've really enjoyed about this thread are the interactions and chance to learn more and hear from players here. For example, I learned about and had a chance to check out a Grahambop's youtube channel and really love his stuff. Graham your rendition of Stardust is lush and beautiful. I can't wait to hear what you do with DOWAR if you have the chance to do so!

And Christian, your playing is incredible. If everyone hasn't seen it check out his supermarket jam video. Wow. I really liked your video contribution here about how you would approach DOWAR. In my head I envision this thread as all of us sitting in a room sharing like that. Where can you find so many people that share the same passion and want to share it with others. This is the internet at its best!

I'm really hoping this DOWAR thread will stay cooking for a long time and give everyone time to post for the first time, or multiple times. Sunnysideup, I like when people post videos the best as it seems a good way we can all get to know each other. However, audio is great too. Whatever people are comfortable with. And personally, if people don't feel comfortable posting anything, or just posting written comments, that's good too. People should use this thread in the way they feel is best for them and their playing.

I hope everyone votes in the new song thread and participation in the upcoming threads will be just like this one!

User Info Menu

Thanks very much for your appreciation Paul, I will definitely try and have a go.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your kind words Paul. I’ll contribute as much as I can given my current commitments with work and (new) family life, but it’s fantastic to see so many players posting their playing.

I find just the act of making a video has a tremendous amount to teach me about my playing.