The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 238

User Info Menu

I don't think there's a big conflict between mechanics and feel. We only get one shot at "natural" learning and that's childhood. After that, we learn mechanics until we internalize the rules, we use the rules until we develop a repertoire of musical language, we listen and absorb (like doing research) until we have something to say, and finally we start playing out of feel. I don't think we can play "by feel" stuff we have never worked out the mechanics on unless we learned it maybe by rote somewhere. I find the language learning experience to parallel my jazz experience very closely.

I'm going to drop my tempo to see what I can do with more expressive playing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10

Very nice rlrhett! Nice chord accompaniment and selections. By the way there are no time pressures. We were originally thinking of adding one song per month, but people can add to each thread whenever they're ready.
    Ahhh, I thought we were doing a tune a WEEK!

Probably good thing I didn't know. I would have fiddled and fussed and never actually posted a vid.

User Info Menu

Funny, all this talk of slow playing. I listened to Frank Sinatra's version in order to learn the tune. Very up tempo compared to what I now have learned is a more standard take. I guess since I have some extra time maybe I can try a different interpretation.

User Info Menu

after listening to a couple other versions I've tried a couple of new things. 1st thing is rubato, which is really hard because it always sounds like taking time to form a voicing or to think about where to go rather than a musical choice. 2nd thing is the melody down lower which i really like. 3rd is keeping an F bass note through the B section until getting to the A- then I went back to playing the roots. 4th thing was trying to split up the A and B sections by playing less harmonic stuff in the A and playing softer.

User Info Menu

If any version would be considered "canonic" it would have to be Mancini himself conducting his own orchestra. The tempo is about 85 bpm.

User Info Menu

And hey: here is HERB ELLIS doing it solo, rubato, lots of fills and stuff, including a blues passage!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Anyway...days...of wine and roses
    Nice. I like the way you seem to recall it. Glad you didn't go back and relearn it first.

Funny. I didn't even think about the noise. My wife said, "how can you even hear that?". BTW your vid titles are always amusing as well. Especially like the suggested videos that went along with this title.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    And hey: here is HERB ELLIS doing it solo, rubato, lots of fills and stuff, including a blues passage!

This is the version that does it for me.

John

User Info Menu

The recording and uploading took me hours! And I thought I had it edited but couldn't save it! I need some training!

I was hoping I'd have this memorized before posting to avoid a few errors, but what the heck!! I get nervous as heck when the recording starts!

User Info Menu

Paul,
    Beautiful playing - and some real nice tone. You seem to be playing the guitar effortlessly.
    I just love the clarity of the Lee Ritenour.

User Info Menu

sounds great paul!! that guitar is awesome!

User Info Menu

The recording and uploading took me hours! And I thought I had it edited but couldn't save it! I need some training!

I was hoping I'd have this memorized before posting to avoid a few errors, but what the heck!! I get nervous as heck when the recording starts!
    That's a very nice, clean arrangement and performance. Sounds really good. Not sure what errors you're referring to; I didn't notice anything.

Edit: Ok, caught a couple of minor glitches, but you recovered and stayed in time, so you can keep the gig.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 01-24-2018 at 09:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Okay here's an early version. I was working on this before this thread so had stolen a few ideas already...some are my own

Nice. I really enjoyed the tone you are getting out of that Tele. Nice ending.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

So here's my "real time" stab at the first 16 measures. I'm thinking out loud while working down the lead sheet and seeing what voicings seem to work. Not a finished version at all, just a first run with more than my fair share of mistakes.

This should make anyone feel much, much better about their own efforts!

Lawson, you underestimate yourself. I always listening to your playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994

here's my version, a bit rough because I had to use a pick because one of my nails broke so I cut them.
    I loved your runs and fills. Very Joe Pass.

User Info Menu

Here's my second installment thinking out loud through this tune.

The guitar sound for some reason isn't so great--to boomy, which resulted from poor microphones placement vis. the amp. I hope it doesnt' detract too much.

Your chromatic movement from G minor to Bflat minor reminded me of Jim Hall. I heard Jim Hall play that on a recording and I have been using it ever since.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup
    Great thread, now I just need to find a decent recording method, my Android isn't helping much.

By the way, I'm not a pro at all.

I think I should post something before I make any other comment - sort of price of entry - and that will probably take a week or two.
    Any camera or phone will do for the recording.
    I purchased a Zoom Q8 which I have been using.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Putting this first take out there, really more so I can listen to others...my kids are loud in this one, talking about TaTa's, which isn't anything dirty, its the local pizza place they love..

Anyway...days...of wine and roses

Very nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    "In time rubato...." That's what I'm going for as well. Want to be able to pat my foot while laying back. Anyway. Probably too much here, but an attempt at basic. Great tune...

Voicings etc:
    Very nice. Interesting to hear this chord Melody on a nylon stringed Guitar. It seems to alter your approach because it resonates differently from a steel stringed Guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Well I had a couple of hours last night, so here is my contribution. My inclination is to try to refine it or get a clean take, but if I do that I probably will just never actually post anything. It will be a real challenge to do one a week, but I know I'm going to learn tons by doing it. Thanks for getting this started!

Nice. I love that sound. What type/brand of Guitar is that ?

User Info Menu

Nice. I don’t think I have ever heard Herb Ellis play solo guitar.

User Info Menu

Very nice. I like the thumb pick/finger approach. Reminiscent of my old guitar teacher Lorne Lofsky.

User Info Menu

Very beautiful and meditative treatment with some interesting subs and harmonic moves. Well played!

User Info Menu

I've cleared some time today to listen and comment on the others...actually, I've already listened, and y'all are killin! Great work, people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    After thinking about it for a few days I have decided to join, I think that this group should take over from the Jeff Arnold study group now. I have mixed feelings about that, but if my starting the Jeff Arnold group has inspired this one then thats great.

I dont have anything to post yet, and when I do it will be the most basic thing you can imagine.

andyb
    I wouldn’t abandon the Jeff Arnold thing. They are different. One is about memorizing a set piece and learning from a composer, this one is about composing and learning from the process.

For all our emphasis on originality, learning by copying is an important skill. I don’t know if Jeff Arnold did DOWAR in his book, but at most I would suggest learning and playing that for this thread. Frankly I’m disappointed in myself that I didn’t have the discipline to learn someone else’s arrangement and participate in your group. I know I would have learned a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk