Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Since everyone is moving on I'd better post where I am at the moment.

I never intended to learn this song but there were so many really nice interpretations that I had to learn it.

I recorded this while drinking my coffee this morning . I have a long way to go before can say I really know the song but I'm working on it.

That was great !! Nice Tone, nice chord voicings.

Wes's solo, together with the chord melody theme statement posted earlier, it's the full monty.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    Wes's solo, together with the chord melody theme statement posted earlier, it's the full monty.
    We still don't have YOUR handling of the tune! With all the fantastic ideas you've shared and the great videos of classical performances, we haven't had a chance to hear you play it. The Peanut Gallery is clamoring! Sun-Ny! Sun-Ny! Su-Ny!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

hahaha yes Lawson I am acutely aware of that.

As mentioned earlier I live in a very remote area, and next week I may finally get the time to drive over the mountains to check out a Zoom box.

But it's Grahambop we should be worried about not me!

P.S.
    Did I really post a classic performance? I hope not. Personally I think this thread has benefitted from not being flooded with youtube videos, it's helped to keep the focus imho.

I wonder if there's a way just to post a youtube URL without embedding the video?

I took the liberty with Wes and Joe Pass because they were instructional videos rather than performances, and really accurate I think.

cheers
    Last edited by sunnysideup; 02-13-2018 at 07:10 AM.

hahaha yes Lawson I am acutely aware of that.

As mentioned earlier I live in a very remote area, and next week I may finally get the time to drive over the mountains to pick a Zoom box.

But it's Grahambop we should be worried about not me!
    haha thanks, as it happens I have been learning both Days of Runny Noses (as they are in the UK right now!) and Embraceable You (for the PS thread). Trying to do both as solo pieces, it's just finding the time at the weekend to set up all the video stuff when I feel comfortable with them.

Also trying to rig up my iPad so it shows a decent view down onto the fretboard, I realized I tend to play a bit 'Freddie Green' with the guitar tilted back so it actually needs to be quite high up for this. Currently working on a 'Heath Robinson' contraption involving a music stand and an elastic band (!).

Solo guitar tune #1 – Days of Wine and Roses. PLEASE VOTE IN POLL FOR TUNE #2

Just do it on your phone

Err, no thanks. If I'm going to spend time working up something that may be worth sharing, then I want a sound quality that I can live with. Even if it's not worth sharing I want a sound quality I can live with.

I experience music via my ears, and don't really see the need to post personal videos anyway. Though I must say I have enjoyed putting a face to some of the names.

Each to their own, Strokes and folks etc etc etc

Err, no thanks. If I'm going to spend time working up something that may be worth sharing, then I want a sound quality that I can live with. Even if it's not worth sharing I want a sound quality I can live with.

I experience music via my ears, and don't really see the need to post personal videos anyway. Though I must say I have enjoyed putting a face to some of the names.

Each to their own, Strokes and folks etc etc etc
    I look forward to seeing and hearing your work when the video and audio is to your satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Just do it on your phone
    I haven't got a smart phone! But the iPad is the best video device I have got, the video quality is excellent.

I won't be spending time on recording separately and concurrently to an audio and a video device. Then importing them both to some software. Then synching them. Then exporting the final product.

Of course, I have no objection to other people spending time doing that. To each their own.

If the masterwork is ever released, which depends very much on the success of the recce over the mountains, it'll just be audio. Lol.

Actually Christian I was also looking forward to some music from you. You started off with some reference to Tim Lerch, then more chat. I was a bit too busy to listen further, sadly.

If you've got a decent audio device, it is certainly much easier doing audio only and just sticking it on Soundcloud.

I do like the idea of doing video for these solo things though, I think it helps people see how it was played.

You're right Graham. Please continue with your preferred method, I'm looking forward to examining your fingerings in detail :-)

You're right Graham. Please continue with your preferred method, I'm looking forward to examining your fingerings in detail :-)
    ok will try! Actually I'm so into this whole solo guitar thing now, I've got this mad idea of trying to home-record a solo guitar CD just for kicks. I know at least 2 people who would have a copy (hi mum and dad!).

To do it properly will take ages, I think it might become my retirement project! Should keep me out of trouble for a bit...

Good luck Graham, I'll have copy 3!

It was also my early retirement project. But somehow I got involved with numerous business startups, nothing to do with music.

So once again music is on the back seat. The story of my life!

I’m sorry your music plans didn’t work out quite according to plan, but I hope you are able to get the opportunity to do more soon.

To be frank, from my interactions with you I think you are quite bitter and angry about music. Why this manifests itself in particular towards me, I can guess, but I have no real desire to explore or perpetuate it. Let’s move on.

It was a little bit of dig earlier but I couldn’t help it. These are the sort of excuses I hear from students of all ages. They are thinking along the lines of a Finished Product while here I think everyone has demonstrated their Process, which I believe was the original point of the thread, and often made themselves vulnerable in some way. Not easy, especially as an adult who may or may not be used to presenting their playing in public.

Even for those who have chosen to devote their lives to music it is difficult because the criticism is easy ‘really? Is that the best you can do?’ Especially from those who feel they should be doing it instead. I know I was like that for a long time. But this isn’t about what you do for a living. It’s the same for all of us.

It’s about acceptance of who we are and how we play.

I would honest to god love to hear you doing some playing. It’s clear to me you love this music as much as I do, if not more.

My utmost respect goes to anyone who puts their playing up.

Some things I've really enjoyed about this thread are the interactions and chance to learn more and hear from players here. For example, I learned about and had a chance to check out a Grahambop's youtube channel and really love his stuff. Graham your rendition of Stardust is lush and beautiful. I can't wait to hear what you do with DOWAR if you have the chance to do so!

And Christian, your playing is incredible. If everyone hasn't seen it check out his supermarket jam video. Wow. I really liked your video contribution here about how you would approach DOWAR. In my head I envision this thread as all of us sitting in a room sharing like that. Where can you find so many people that share the same passion and want to share it with others. This is the internet at its best!

I'm really hoping this DOWAR thread will stay cooking for a long time and give everyone time to post for the first time, or multiple times. Sunnysideup, I like when people post videos the best as it seems a good way we can all get to know each other. However, audio is great too. Whatever people are comfortable with. And personally, if people don't feel comfortable posting anything, or just posting written comments, that's good too. People should use this thread in the way they feel is best for them and their playing.

I hope everyone votes in the new song thread and participation in the upcoming threads will be just like this one!

Thanks very much for your appreciation Paul, I will definitely try and have a go.

Thanks for your kind words Paul. I’ll contribute as much as I can given my current commitments with work and (new) family life, but it’s fantastic to see so many players posting their playing.

I find just the act of making a video has a tremendous amount to teach me about my playing.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Thanks for your kind words Paul. I’ll contribute as much as I can given my current commitments with work and (new) family life, but it’s fantastic to see so many players posting their playing.

I find just the act of making a video has a tremendous amount to teach me about my playing.
    So true. I started recording about 10 minutes of my practice every day. When I drive to/from work, or drive on errands, I listen to the recording and think about what I can do better. I like the video because i can see things about my technique, position, posture, etc. that help me do better. Then I just delete the clips from my phone.

It's fun sharing clips on this forum. I"m no professional player, I really struggle just to put something together. But the advice, encouragement, and insight I get in response makes it totally worth it.

While I'm at it, C77 I always appreciate your clips, your thoughts, and your typically gracious responses when somewhat ungracious things are said to you. You make this forum a great place to learn.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Wow, Christian I’m not going to let that nonsense pass unanswered.

I have no bitterness about music at all. I achieved my musical goals by the time I was 27, and decided to move on to more interesting and productive activities. Just as I have done in “retirement”.

Any antipathy I have displayed towards you is based on your arrogance, not on your playing, which I have not listened to (apart from the beginning of your supermarket show). Private messages I’ve received suggest that I’m not alone in this view.

As for encouraging young aspiring players to explore careers outside of music. This is not bitterness at all, it's a recognition of a changing society and a changing labour market. This change has been talked about quite a bit in recent months by leading jazz musicians like John McLaughlin and Jimmy Bruno.

If you want to continue this nonsense I suggest you do it privately rather than waste more time here.
    Last edited by sunnysideup; 02-13-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Wow, Christian I’m not going to let that nonsense pass unanswered.

I have no bitterness about music at all. I achieved my musical goals by the time I was 27, and decided to move on to more interesting and productive activities. Just as I have done in “retirement”.

Any antipathy I have displayed towards you is based on your arrogance, not on your playing, which I have not listened to (apart from the beginning of your supermarket show). Private messages I’ve received suggest that I’m not alone in this view.

As for encouraging young aspiring players to explore careers outside of music. This is not bitterness at all, it's a recognition of a changing society and a changing labour market. This change has been talked about quite a bit in recent months by leading jazz musicians like John McLaughlin and Jimmy Bruno.

If you want to continue this nonsense I suggest you do it privately rather than waste more time here.
    this puzzles me. I have had my share of disagreements with Christian77, but I would never have characterized him as arrogant. In fact, I've often been surprised at the graciousness of his responses to some fairly rude comments directed toward him. He is a splendid player.

We still don't know what you can play. In the end, it's the playing that matters.

In the southern part of the US we have a saying about people who talk and and talk but never do: we say they are "All Hat and No Cattle."

Christian77 has the cattle. We've seen your hat.
    - Lawson

Must Read

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    this puzzles me. I have had my share of disagreements with Christian77, but I would never have characterized him as arrogant. In fact, I've often been surprised at the graciousness of his responses to some fairly rude comments directed toward him. He is a splendid player.

We still don't know what you can play. In the end, it's the playing that matters.

In the southern part of the US we have a saying about people who talk and and talk but never do: we say they are "All Hat and No Cattle."

Christian77 has the cattle. We've seen your hat.
    Lawson, your homilies always amuse me. Some of the recordings I was a session player on were reissued a couple of years ago, but I doubt that you'd be interested in that kind of music.

I'm glad you're enjoying this study group. Particularly as your initial response was negative when I suggested it on Paul W's previous CM thread, I wonder why ;-)

If you like I'll explain again why I haven't posted a recording.

Lawson, your homilies always amuse me. Some of the recordings I was a session player on were reissued a couple of years ago, but I doubt that you'd be interested in that kind of music.

I'm glad you're enjoying this study group. Particularly as your initial response was negative when I suggested it on Paul W's previous CM thread, I wonder why ;-)

If you like I'll explain again why I haven't posted a recording.
    Feel free to explain anything you want to explain. I react to suggestions and ideas proposed around here largely based on how I feel at the moment. That's it. I've participated in every thread that deals with a musical topic I care about. I've posted my admittedly unremarkable musical efforts so others at least know the skill level of the person behind my comments.

Which is more than can be said of you.

When people post behind aliases, never put their playing out there, and constantly needle people who do put their playing out there to be heard, we have no way of knowing who the big-talkers are and what they can or can't do.

I have no time or interest in the opinions of people who can't play. I also know that "session" playing covers a lot of ground, not all of it high musicianship, though some certainly is. Some truly great players have distinguished themselves with session playing. I admire that because it's hard, grueling work. Then again, "session playing" can happen at local sessions that are at best mediocre. It's just not possible to know.

I wish you well, and as the charter member of my "Ignore" list, you will be reinstated there tonight. Not because I find you an aggravating bore, but because I'm interested in hearing from people who are not afraid to put their playing up to be heard by all.

I hope you really are a virtuoso player. I'd love to be wrong. Finding one more great player is always a delight.
    - Lawson

TBH your reaction is very much what I was expecting. You are trying to shift the spotlight on to me. Of course, I love this, because I am essentially a massive diva.

Thing is, my playing is out there for everyone to pass judgement on, and comment on, in public or in private. Or compliment charmingly as Lawson has done. If I am lucky, maybe one day a man will compare my music unfavourably to supermarket sweep in a publically available review (this actually happened to a friend who I would credit as an extremely capable musician.) If I am very lucky, some people might find an emotional connection with my music, if I've gone about things right.

It is, as they, the life. It's kind of the deal.

I know what I think of my playing. That's for me and my practice room.

You on the other hand wish to hide your vulnerability because you are afraid of being judged. It's very obvious.

For you the only good strategy is not to play. I think that's kind of sad.

Any antipathy I have displayed towards you is based on your arrogance.
    I do not think Christian is arrogant at all.

Anyway let’s not derail Paul’s excellent thread.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    I do not think Christian is arrogant at all.

Anyway let’s not derail Paul’s excellent thread.
    I think the way Mr Christian has handled the slings and arrows
    He's been confronted with here is exemplary ...

He's a great player with some great ideas re BH etc

I also don't post my playing here but still find the site very welcoming ....

Carry on

The Days

Wow, have any of you read 1984?

The way things get misrepesented?

I , yes, moi-meme, suggested this study group, and I don't say this through arrogance, simply through statement of fact, on Paul W's other CM thread. About which anyone who is interested can check the history on this forum.

As far as I remember there was resistance from Lawson, Gbop, and mildly from Gramps.

My intention was a player's thread. In contrast to the theory threads which have dominated the forum recently.

I'm highly amused that some people think it's cool to make a video, absent playing, just chat, farce or what ?
    Last edited by sunnysideup; 02-17-2018 at 11:57 AM.

I'm highly amused that some people think it's cool to make a video, absent playing, just chat, farce or what ?
    Post a "just playin' " video then. Enough of this ONLY talking about about "ONLY talking" though. He's still a great many degrees removed from THAT, compared to most of the rest of us on this forum. More actual playing posted than the majority of members here.

Additional discussion on theory and process, free lessons etc doesn't NEGATE that.

I'm sure all would be glad to hear anything from you. Many of us have posted our amateurish offerings and received nothing but good will and encouragement.

But it begins to seem silly to continue talking about "only taking", having posted zero playing.

Wow, have any of you read 1984?

The way things get misrepesented?

I , yes, moi-meme, suggested this study group, and I don't say this through arrogance, simply through statement of fact, on Paul W's other CM thread. About which anyone who is interested can check the history on this forum.

As far as I remember there was resistance from Lawson, Gbop, and mildly from Gramps.
    Which CM thread? I'm just curious since my name's been brought up.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed