The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 238

User Info Menu

Okay here's an early version. I was working on this before this thread so had stolen a few ideas already...some are my own

Last edited by alltunes; 01-22-2018 at 09:21 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

here's my version, a bit rough because I had to use a pick because one of my nails broke so I cut them.

User Info Menu

Here's my second installment thinking out loud through this tune.

The guitar sound for some reason isn't so great--to boomy, which resulted from poor microphones placement vis. the amp. I hope it doesnt' detract too much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Okay here's an early version. I was working on this before this thread so had stolen a few ideas already...some are my own

I get "this video unavailable". Maybe you don't have it set to "public"?

John

User Info Menu

oops sorry I guess I didn't understand the difference between "private" and "unlisted"..should be fixed now

User Info Menu

Great thread, now I just need to find a decent recording method, my Android isn't helping much.

By the way, I'm not a pro at all.

I think I should post something before I make any other comment - sort of price of entry - and that will probably take a week or two.

User Info Menu

Putting this first take out there, really more so I can listen to others...my kids are loud in this one, talking about TaTa's, which isn't anything dirty, its the local pizza place they love..

Anyway...days...of wine and roses

#c&cwelcome

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 01-24-2018 at 07:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Putting this first take out there, really more so I can listen to others...my kids are loud in this one, talking about TaTa's, which isn't anything dirty, its the local pizza place they love..

Very nice, Jeff. As always, it all flows extremely well, and that little guitar is very well suited to your solo playing. An object lessons in how it's done..Jeff always hits the right bases - some polyphony, some block harmony, some single lines, melody always clearly present.

John

User Info Menu

I looked up the song and discovered it is really about descending into alcoholism and madness.

Not sure how best to express that on the guitar...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I looked up the song and discovered it is really about descending into alcoholism and madness.

Not sure how best to express that on the guitar...
    It can be that (and I realize that the poem it's based on and the movie it's from ARE that), but it can also be seen as a wistful look at lost youth. Also, the movie has a cautiously semi-hopeful ending, so, uh, make (Jack) lemon(s) from lemonade? The movie is unbelievable, btw. Remick and Lemon give two of the deepest, most astounding performances in the history of film. I knew the tune and thought of it as somewhat "happy" long before I saw the movie, which is incredibly dark, which is somewhat jarring. It's also difficult to process this as being directed by the guy who made the Pink Panther movies (Blake Edwards), and starring the pretty blond/bland star of 70s made or TV movies (Lee Remick), though it's textbook funny/despairing Lemon.

John

User Info Menu

Royce Campbell was Henry Mancini's guitarist for about 20 years up to Mancini's death. Here is his solo performance of DWR. It's amazing that he has so much space, but it's also got a strong moving pulse. Lots of amazing ideas here.

User Info Menu

Very beautifully played. You have some wonderful substitutions in there. I also liked hearing "YOU SAID A BAD WORD!" at just the right moment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Very beautifully played. You have some wonderful substitutions in there. I also liked hearing "YOU SAID A BAD WORD!" at just the right moment.
    Funny you should say that, as I thought I played it pretty straight...but then again, this was from memory of something I did by ear, I should probably look at a chart and compare!

It was interesting, I hadn't played it in a long time...you can see there's one point at the beginning where I definitely almost stall out...and then it just came back, very easily. Some tunes are like that, I guess. Some are definitely not.

Anyway, now I'm happy I got one out there, so I'll go back and listen to the others, and then I'll polish mine up a bit (but not too much, I hate cutesy worked out arrangements!!!) and do some improvising.

One thing I find very interesting about this tune is the space in the melody...and if you play it like a singer, you don't have to start very many of the vocal phrases on the downbeat at all...you can actually get this thing going where it's in time, but has a "rubato" feel. I'm going to work a lot more with that this month.

User Info Menu

Funny you should say that, as I thought I played it pretty straight...but then again, this was from memory of something I did by ear, I should probably look at a chart and compare!

It was interesting, I hadn't played it in a long time...you can see there's one point at the beginning where I definitely almost stall out...and then it just came back, very easily. Some tunes are like that, I guess. Some are definitely not.

Anyway, now I'm happy I got one out there, so I'll go back and listen to the others, and then I'll polish mine up a bit (but not too much, I hate cutesy worked out arrangements!!!) and do some improvising.

One thing I find very interesting about this tune is the space in the melody...and if you play it like a singer, you don't have to start very many of the vocal phrases on the downbeat at all...you can actually get this thing going where it's in time, but has a "rubato" feel. I'm going to work a lot more with that this month.
    Agreed, one can definitely flow in and out of rubato feel, and it has sections where it really lends itself to swing/walking feels. But, I think one does have to come home at some point, and play enough of the form in time to keep it grounded.

John

"In time rubato...." That's what I'm going for as well. Want to be able to pat my foot while laying back. Anyway. Probably too much here, but an attempt at basic. Great tune...

Voicings etc:
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 01-23-2018 at 03:29 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree, and maybe I'm not explaining myself well, but what I'm going to try is playing in time, but playing the melody freer. Gonna be some serious metronome work for me Really working the melody like a singer, playing with the time a bit, but not losing the underlying swing or adding/dropping beats...

User Info Menu

I agree, and maybe I'm not explaining myself well, but what I'm going to try is playing in time, but playing the melody freer. Gonna be some serious metronome work for me Really working the melody like a singer, playing with the time a bit, but not losing the underlying swing or adding/dropping beats...
    I like that concept. A lot of people mistake that for "plain" rubato, but it's actually still got a pulse and movement to it. I share your lack of enthusiasm for "nice" arrangements and rather like having a set of "moves" for playing melodies through changes and then choosing them on the fly.

User Info Menu

Well I had a couple of hours last night, so here is my contribution. My inclination is to try to refine it or get a clean take, but if I do that I probably will just never actually post anything. It will be a real challenge to do one a week, but I know I'm going to learn tons by doing it. Thanks for getting this started!

User Info Menu

Here's my second installment thinking out loud through this tune.

The guitar sound for some reason isn't so great--to boomy, which resulted from poor microphones placement vis. the amp. I hope it doesnt' detract too much.

Thanks for posting this second one as well! Very fun and informative. And you're right about having fun with the guitar. I believe I always have fun when I'm playing, although there may be a look of sheer terror on my face! And also I think a C- grade on a Wes impersonation would probably earn an A in most places!!

BTW thank you also for your tips on the videos and for mentioning Screenflow. I'm going to check that out!

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Just before l left for work this morning, I saw there was a major transit delay, so I figured what the heck? Why not kill that time more productively at home rather than waiting on a subway platform? I didn't notice it was for next month until after the fact. But since somebody has to break the ice, why not jump the gun and kill two metaphors (no, three!) with one stone?

This is on the fly rather than arranged. I play this tune quite a bit and feel pretty free on it. At one point I had a full arrangement, largely stolen from Wes, but i find it more enjoyable to just play, and Wes already did Wes's version.

Though not arranged, there are a couple of things I usually do. For instance, the first voicing I play here is my usual point of entry. On the second ending, instead of an Amin7b5/E7 change (per the Real Book chart), I just do a rootless E7#9, do that little hammer-on lick rather than a full III-vi-II-V, and end the tune on Bbmin6 rather than Fmaj. This is partly stolen from the Pat Martino version on Exit (my vote for best version ever).

Between those bookends, I like to just let whatever happens happen. Ideally, it happens without stumbles and dropped/added beats, but not always ...

John
    Obvious that you've spent some time with that tune. Nice variety of touches. I especially like the double stops and walking bass.

User Info Menu

I am so excited that the thread is taking off and people seem to really be enjoying themselves!! I think all the contributions have been really great. It's very cool hearing how everyone has their own take on it. I did work on my arrangement a lot before listening to most all of these so that I wouldn't be overly-influenced. I was thinking we may have a few more days before people started posting in earnest, but it appears the floodgates have opened! I just need how to remember to work my video camera and I will get something posted as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes

Sounds really great alltunes!! Some great lines and unexpected turns which are always fun, but the melody stays right with it. Very nice tone too out of your guitar!!

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994

here's my version, a bit rough because I had to use a pick because one of my nails broke so I cut them.
    Wow also very nice sounding nick1994. I listened while working and it's very relaxing and focusing. After hearing this I need to work on incorporating improv in my songs more.

Amazing Jeff!! What a delight to hear. Lovely and relaxing. Love your connecting lines and your accompaniment with and interplay with the melody. And your guitar's tone is beautiful. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    "In time rubato...." That's what I'm going for as well. Want to be able to pat my foot while laying back. Anyway. Probably too much here, but an attempt at basic. Great tune...

Voicings etc:
    Very very nice!!! Great playing and chord voicings. I really like how you got a swing feel going in a solo setting on the rubato clip. My mind was dropping in the bass and drums from how you implied them. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Well I had a couple of hours last night, so here is my contribution. My inclination is to try to refine it or get a clean take, but if I do that I probably will just never actually post anything. It will be a real challenge to do one a week, but I know I'm going to learn tons by doing it. Thanks for getting this started!

Very nice rlrhett! Nice chord accompaniment and selections. By the way there are no time pressures. We were originally thinking of adding one song per month, but people can add to each thread whenever they're ready.

User Info Menu

Voicings etc:
    Those are nice voicings, Matt.

John

User Info Menu

Obvious that you've spent some time with that tune. Nice variety of touches. I especially like the double stops and walking bass.
    Thanks. TBH, it's a lot sloppier than I would like. There a couple dropped beats and stumbles, and the time is a bit lost in the single line sections. I think the overall concept is about right, but I think I need to pay more attention to the rhythm.

John

User Info Menu

Voicings etc:
    Hey Matt
    I really, really enjoyed hearing you play this. It combined a nice swingy ballad feel with a periodic gypsy feeling that really shifted my mental image of this tune. Your treatment of the song is much more mature and developed than anything I've come up with, and I thought it was rich listening.

I also realized that I am likely playing the tune too fast. Sub-dividing as you've described is hard to do if the tune is going quickly, and I've tended to play it quickly because the first person I ever heard play it, when I got into jazz, was Bireli Lagrene! His "Standards" album made a huge impression on me and he plays that at a pretty brisk swing tempo, so that became my template. I see I'm missing a lot of potential doing it that way, so I think I want to slow it down and work the harmonic ideas better.

Thanks for this. I have enjoyed interacting with you on the forum, but hearing you play, and hearing how you process the choices of what to play, was both informative and inspiring!

Hey Matt
    I really, really enjoyed hearing you play this. It combined a nice swingy ballad feel with a periodic gypsy feeling that really shifted my mental image of this tune. Your treatment of the song is much more mature and developed than anything I've come up with, and I thought it was rich listening.

I also realized that I am likely playing the tune too fast. Sub-dividing as you've described is hard to do if the tune is going quickly, and I've tended to play it quickly because the first person I ever heard play it, when I got into jazz, was Bireli Lagrene! His "Standards" album made a huge impression on me and he plays that at a pretty brisk swing tempo, so that became my template. I see I'm missing a lot of potential doing it that way, so I think I want to slow it down and work the harmonic ideas better.

Thanks for this. I have enjoyed interacting with you on the forum, but hearing you play, and hearing how you process the choices of what to play, was both informative and inspiring!
    Thanks Lawson. Very kind. The honest truth is that it's a hack and helps a great deal in actually playing tunes, especially busy changes. It's the flipside of what otherwise would be the "problem": playing slower is otherwise harder, if you don't do something with it. But of course the flipside part is that, once you learn to subdivide things a little more, it just slows everything down, and you have tons of time to think, move fingers etc. I'm really just not good enough to play a lot of this stuff faster yet. (Need to learn this tune tbh).

It's funny. I really developed this way of playing out of not having anything much interesting to play harmonically. When you create the time and space, it kind of begins to fill itself. Being honest, I've never been a "feel" player, not very soulful at all. What I'm doing is pretty mechanical, at least in the way that it originated as a thought process for me. It's pretty simple and I can break it down, if anyone's interested. Anyway, the slow thing is very related to kind of a blues/gospel feel, which is more in line with what I actually play most of the time. Jazz is just the hobby.

On a sidenote, the next subdivision "down", a slow double time, is where the REAL grease is. Listen to Wes on Misty. Painfully slow to my ears when I first started listening to it. Couldn't quite get my head around it, but I finally kind of "got it". It just gives him so much space, and he works it masterfully, in terms of phrasing and everything. Now it's one of my absolute favorites. To my ears, Wes usually goes more doubletime on ballads. Anyway, I've listened to too much Keith Jarrett trio, and they kind of LIVE up in that stuff.

Always enjoy your posts and videos, especially the Raney. I'm subscribed and usually catch the vids before I see them here.

Thanks again. All the best.