Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 26 of 26

User Info Menu

anyone got any good CM for some bossa novas? Any standard ones (especially Ceora if anyone has it)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

CM?

User Info Menu

ahh.

I don't have any written out on hand.

User Info Menu

CM= Chord melody. No, I don't know of anything off hand. But there might be something out there on the net. Lately, I'm finding stuff all over the place. I've only "written" (actually just sort of worked out on the instrument and memorized) a few myself. Stick around though, there are some tremendous folks on here who really love to do this sort of thing.

User Info Menu

PM me your e-mail address

User Info Menu

I still think the theme from Mash would make a great bossa CM (see other thread). Hint hint...

User Info Menu

Here is my fav, Red Blouse by Jobim. It is Emily Remler's arrangement that she performs at the beginning of her Latin Jazz and Advanced Improv dvd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    Here is my fav, Red Blouse by Jobim. It is Emily Remler's arrangement that she performs at the beginning of her Latin Jazz and Advanced Improv dvd.
    It's really nice to have the dots for that one derek, cheers! I have that video, and her other one - she remains one of my idols. Plus undeniably great at Latin style jazz.

User Info Menu

"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Looks like a nice book to get Randall, cheers for that! I think I'll have to have a go at the bossa version of Mash myself though - I was just hoping someone more qualified would step in . Oh well, it will be a good exercise I guess!

User Info Menu

Thanks Randall... I'll check it out

User Info Menu

The book Guitar Atlas: Brazil by Billy Newman helped me a lot how to play brazian music on guitar.
    See Billy Newman - Jazz and Brazilian Guitarist
    It covers more than only bosssa nova.

User Info Menu

Black Orpheus (manha de carnaval) is one I play in CM, though I can't say I've ever written it out. But it's certainly a great Bossa to make into CM.

User Info Menu

Is there somewhere that has this kind of bossa or jazz arrangement, where I can see the melody line and the chrod charts?

Thanks!

Thanks a bunch!

User Info Menu

Robert Yelin's books (e.g. Jazz Classics for Solo Guitar - Samba de Orfeu, Wave) have good bossa nova chord melodies which you can mix up with lead line and adapt to your own playing style/ability - Pequod

User Info Menu

Well, I'm more of a Brazilian guitar player than of a Jazz guitar player playing CMs, but I would advise you to look for material from Nelson Faria and Romero Lubambo on the web. There are quite a bunch of them, including YouTube videos and DVDs. I also bought a DVD from Emily Remler, about the Bossa Nova, mostly scales and improvisation which could be of interest to you.

User Info Menu

I play Chord Melody most of the time. I love Bossa Nova, particularly Charlie Byrd and Gene Bertoncini. Here's a link to a video: YouTube - Kanaal van Byrdmanguitar I think you should be able to cut & paste it into your web-browser. - Joe Frame

User Info Menu

I'm really impressed by all you folks who can learn from DVDs and books. I'd be lost w/o a real live person teaching me. I'm currently working on Corcovado.
    everything all of the time

User Info Menu

I quite agree that books and DVDs are good to start, but not enough.

I learnt the basics (well, I mean Bossa Nova style, playing the guitar wasn't new to me, I started 40 years ago, rock, picking, classical) from books and DVDs, say for about a year or so, monitoring progress by recording myself.

This helped to gather "theoretical knowledge", usual chords, progressions, rythm, etc ... and build a first pass repertoire.

Then I started to take private lessons with a Brazilian musician, goal being to improve playing style and singing (pronunciation notably). He definitely spotted many weaknesses and helped me to reach the next level of playing.

Generally speaking, a mentor is needed if one really wants to go very far in playing music. One doesn't listen well to himself while playing.

Playing with other people too.

User Info Menu

Do any of you have good local public libraries? My local one in France had sheet music books: Session Bossa was good (with CD), and a Jobim book. Request 'em if you can't find 'em.
    Re learning bossa: it strikes me that there are two styles. One, as played by Bonfa, Gilberto etc (slinky, sexy, catchy) and one played by northern hemisphere jazzers ( sleepy lounge music and I don't always except Getz and Byrd from this). Be careful what you listen to. Nelson Faria's book and CD are excellent.

User Info Menu

Definitely agree on the two styles.

About local music shops: I like to visit them and browse music, but in general there is much more material to find on the Internet when compared with these. And more and more online shops provide a way to look at the contents of the books, specially if you are registered with the provider.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RichardFrance View Post
    Do any of you have good local public libraries? My local one in France had sheet music books: Session Bossa was good (with CD), and a Jobim book. Request 'em if you can't find 'em.
    Re learning bossa: it strikes me that there are two styles. One, as played by Bonfa, Gilberto etc (slinky, sexy, catchy) and one played by northern hemisphere jazzers ( sleepy lounge music and I don't always except Getz and Byrd from this). Be careful what you listen to. Nelson Faria's book and CD are excellent.
    Not to be argumentative, but there is a 3rd style of bossa also. It happends to be the style I prescribe to, and is pretty much the opposite of the first style you mention. So instead of slinky, sexy, catchy, you could say, sluggish, unattractive, and mildly offensive.

User Info Menu

hmmm...spend more time listening, fellahs.

bonfa doesn't sound anything like gilberto, who doesn't sound anything like powell, who doesn't sound anything like lyra, who doesn't sound anything like lubambo, who doesn't sound anything like byrd, who doesn't sound anything like almeida, who doesn't sound anything like toquinho, who doesn't sound anything like castro-neves, who doesn't sound anything like faria...okay, maybe a bit like faria...
    "Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

theres a mistake in the transscription: she is playing a eb minor 9 NOT a Dmaj#9...

User Info Menu