The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I am currently re-working out a chord melody arrangement of Skylark...such a beautiful tune and its seems that there are many variations of suggested chord progressions. I am working on it in the key of Eb and using a piano book entitled "The Best Chord Changes for the World's Greatest Standards" (is that a presumptuous title !) but I am having a great time trying to work out a nice sounding, yet still easy for me, arrangement At 70, I am finding such pleasure in going back over material that I worked out 40 years ago and finding different ways of doing it. I feel very fortunate to still be able to play without arthritis, etc. and am in awe of the talent on this forum. I must admit the chord changes in this book are the ones that I hear in my head. Anyone have a favorite arrangement they do of this tune they might share ? Thanks in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ever heard this beautiful version by paul desmond?....guitar is played by the great gene bertoncini..who was one of nyc's jazz session elite...

cheers

User Info Menu

I had not heard that ,,,beautiful ! The beginning kinda sounded like Barney Kessel on Cry Me a River....great sound, thanks for sharing that !

User Info Menu

cool..here's another beautiful version..this one by the late great doug raney...son of jazz guitar legend jimmy raney...

doug had been living in europe for years, and returned to the usa to deal with his dad's passing

cut a great introspective lp..back in new york (his nyc hometown).....with this beautiful version of skylark

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting that...it is indeed beautiful....I was not familiar with Doug, only his father Jimmy...learn something new every day !

User Info Menu

Just wanted to add some of my favorite versions of this tune.

Here is a transcription
    Last edited by Melodic Dreamer; 12-19-2017 at 09:54 PM.

User Info Menu

There is a video of somebody talking about his ideas regarding Skylark chord melody:

Maybe you can draw something from that...

Robert

User Info Menu

I don't know who's the player, but damn that guitar sounds good!!

User Info Menu

I like this one by Chris Whiteman a lot. I haven't worked out all of it yet, but use bits and pieces of it and swap in some simpler bits I can execute more easily for sections of his I can't quite get. In general, his arrangements are really nice, and lend themselves to that sort of approach.

John

User Info Menu

A great tune; I always hear a snippet of Torme's Christmas Song in the melody (or vice versa). This version from Jim Hall and Charlie Hayden may give you some ideas.

User Info Menu

Not guitar but check out Linda Ronstadt's version with Nelson Riddle - one of my favorites. I try to work out chord melodies based on a vocal I've been impressed with and this is one of them. Haven't finished it - too much other stuff in the way.....but someday!!

User Info Menu

Skip,
    I just noticed your post and Linda's version is the one that inspired me to learn this wonderful tune....she does a great job...I finally finished up my somewhat simple version of this tune...we have a lot of common interest between guitar and the steel guitar and PC

User Info Menu

Pianist Kenny Barron recorded one of my favorite versions. Such beautiful chords!

User Info Menu

This is a great version by Jim Hall

User Info Menu