Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hi
    Ive just started on my first song Autumn Leaves, its in Bb in the real book, im having trouble, im playing the melody in the open postion whilst playing the chords but i get stuck when it gets to an Am7b5 chord but with an A melody note, as im in the open position i dont want to move up to the 5th fret, it sounds odd, any ideas ?

Thanks

Jeff

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Autumn Leaves is in G minor.

Personally, I'd take that section up an octave, which means you'll be up at the fifth fret anyways. Can't really see any way around that for a chord melody rendition.

User Info Menu

Here's some possibilities:
    [CHORD]

Ami7b5/G

||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|-2-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||-1-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|-4-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|-3-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[/CHORD]

[CHORD] A dim triad

||---|--2|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|-4-|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[/CHORD]

[CHORD] Eb triad (b5)

||---|-1-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|-3-|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|-4-|---|---|---|---|---|

[/CHORD]

Substitute anf F7

[CHORD]

||---|-2-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[/CHORD]

User Info Menu

yeah, i'd take the melody up. i actually try never to play the melody to any tune in open position, especially for a chord melody...you get handcuffed fast.and yes, G minor, B flat, same difference for this conversation-- he's reading the key sig. right.i'm just glad he got a real book that has "leaves" in Gm, because 9 times out of 10 that's the key it's called in (although i do take my solo arrangment in Em like the hal leonard real book has, for all the fun things i can do with open strings in the chords....but i digress)

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    yeah, i'd take the melody up. i actually try never to play the melody to any tune in open position, especially for a chord melody...you get handcuffed fast.and yes, G minor, B flat, same difference for this conversation-- he's reading the key sig. right.i'm just glad he got a real book that has "leaves" in Gm, because 9 times out of 10 that's the key it's called in (although i do take my solo arrangment in Em like the hal leonard real book has, for all the fun things i can do with open strings in the chords....but i digress)

Hey, no horn players here. He could cheat and simply transcribe it to C Major. No shame in that.

User Info Menu

original key for this tune is Em. works nice for solo guitar arrangement.
    "Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

yes it is, randall. but 9 times out of 10, at a jam or on the gig, it'll be called in Gm.

and yes, Em works nicely for a solo arrangement...I also do "my funny valentine" in Am for the same reasons.

User Info Menu

ayup. doncha love tunes like wave that work both ways in the same key?
    "Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz View Post
    ayup. doncha love tunes like wave that work both ways in the same key?
    heh heh...so true.

i'm an advocate of the "learn tunes in all keys, or at least F, G, Ab, Bb, C, Db and Eb" rule, but i gotta admit, sometimes i think that might be less about artistic expression and more about, "you're gonna meet a horn player or singer who needs it to be in their key."

heh heh...so true.

i'm an advocate of the "learn tunes in all keys, or at least F, G, Ab, Bb, C, Db and Eb" rule, but i gotta admit, sometimes i think that might be less about artistic expression and more about, "you're gonna meet a horn player or singer who needs it to be in their key."
    I've found far more singers who need an adjustment to the key than horn players. My "pay the rent" work is as a horn player. I call tunes in the standard/original/customary keys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodinFan View Post
    I've found far more singers who need an adjustment to the key than horn players. My "pay the rent" work is as a horn player. I call tunes in the standard/original/customary keys.
    Then brother, anytime you're in chi-town and i'm gigging, you feel free to sit in!

Then brother, anytime you're in chi-town and i'm gigging, you feel free to sit in!
    That's actually a possibility. A buddy of mine who owns a Woodwind board lives in Chi-town, and I'm thinking I might pay him a visit this fall.

I play woodwind doubles in a repertory theatre, and our season ends in November...

User Info Menu

Are Mr. Beaumonts 7 keys a general rule for Jazz??

User Info Menu

I do a hack version in Am which doesn't sound too bad, but I know isn't correct, most the time nobody ever knows the difference. The trick is I use mostly inversions and inside chords to pull out the melody. What the hell it works for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Are Mr. Beaumonts 7 keys a general rule for Jazz??
    Sailor, I don't think you can call it a rule, but those "horn" keys are very, very important keys in jazz. And, I think the point is that transposition is important for ear training, etc..