The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Does anyone listen to drum beats via ear buds while playing solo, as opposed to a metronome? From what I've gathered some use metronomes with a set of ear buds to help them keep time, but an actual drum loop? I was practicing some solo guitar last night with an actual drum loop and it was WAY more interesting and fun. I suppose if you used drums then technically it wouldn't be "solo" guitar, but just asking.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Absolutely. Drum genius is a favorite app of mine.

User Info Menu

Me too. I do both. I like metronome on 2 and 4. Otherwise I use ireal pro and mix out the bass and keys. Sometimes I mix out the keys and drums and just play to bass. Drumbeats+ has a pretty good Worldbeats section as well as a few decent Latin and jazz rhythms.

User Info Menu

Absolutely. There are great drum tracks that are all over the internet. Some in Youtube of course. Google youtube to mp3, download the file, put it on a daw. Have a great time! notice the pun?

Last edited by emanresu; 03-20-2017 at 09:30 PM.

User Info Menu

I prefer almost any drum track to a metronome.

User Info Menu

IMO such topic deserves its own bloody thread.
    I lost all my bookmarks last windows reinstall

User Info Menu

When you write out swing rhythm or samba and compare it to waveforms collected from recordings of great players, they aren't the same. There are some websites with the frequency graphs to prove it.

That might suggest that playing with a drum loop based on a recording of a live drummer might be the better approach.

Of course, plenty of people have used the metronome successfully.

I've tried both. Currently, I practice with IRealPro, which I assume is not based on a live drummer, but I've never verified that. I like practicing with a full rhythm section playing a song, including chords.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. Helpful pointers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy_Dan
    Does anyone listen to drum beats via ear buds while playing solo, as opposed to a metronome? From what I've gathered some use metronomes with a set of ear buds to help them keep time
    In performance or recording? I hope not, seems kind of like cheating.

That said I practice a lot solo with a click ATM and record myself. I like to compare my recordings with and without click. Internalising different tempos.

Drums. Hmmm. Maybe. I'd rather a real drum track personally. Haven't tried. Might try drum genius.

I'm sure it's easier, which may not be a bad thing provided it doesn't then become a crutch. You are trying to internalise the feeling of grooving with drums and then be able to have it in your playing when you aren't, right?

I think it's important to play with drums a lot, this is the next best thing.

User Info Menu

Hmmmm..... I haven't seen Drumgenius before. It's certainly more comprehensive than Drumbeats+.

Can anybody describe how it works? How you change tempos? How natural the sounds are? I know they're synthesized but that's not necessarily bad if done well.

Drumbeats+ is real drums and recorded in 5 bpm increments. There are a fair amount of decent rhythms but it is relatively simple and certainly limited in tempos and selection. You can find rhythms that "work" for song styles but they aren't detailed and broad enough to exact details of a track if you're trying to match a specific song. The quality is excellent though even if you can only find a few variations on bossa or swing styles and feels.

User Info Menu

Drumgenius is just a bunch (hundreds) of beats, in a lot of different styles. Cool stuff, in the style of actual players.

Can be adjusted up and down 25% in tempo, anything after 10% or so sounds a little weird. It's truly a practice, you wouldn't use it for recording or performance, but it's very useful, and has a lot of cool afro-cuban, carribbean, odd-time stuff. I use it a lot (probably almost every day)

User Info Menu

I'm playing around with it. It's a lot of fun.

It's quite ... easy .... and ... fun... to play with. The puritanical 'practice MUST be HARD' side of me isn't sure.

I think it's good for your groove tho... I will alternate using this for a week with click practice and recorded playing without a click and see what I think....

User Info Menu

I love Drum Genius, and a bunch of really good players do, too! Ethan Iverson practices with it, as does George Colligan. On tuesday I was talking with one of the best bassists in SF and he was telling me how he used drum genius.

I really like it for practicing with odd time signatures. It's great to just put on an odd time signature and play a familiar melody and try to get it to groove (Steve Coleman recommended this in a master class I saw).

It's also great for working on comping and learning what works and what doesn't over certain grooves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    I love Drum Genius, and a bunch of really good players do, too! Ethan Iverson practices with it, as does George Colligan. On tuesday I was talking with one of the best bassists in SF and he was telling me how he used drum genius.

I really like it for practicing with odd time signatures. It's great to just put on an odd time signature and play a familiar melody and try to get it to groove (Steve Coleman recommended this in a master class I saw).

It's also great for working on comping and learning what works and what doesn't over certain grooves.
    Well, I shall stop worrying and enjoy working with it in this case.

User Info Menu

Thanks to those who recommended Drum Genius. I've been practicing with it for a few days, and it's a whole lot of fun.
    A couple high points for me: There are a lot of latin styles (Afro-cuban, brazilian, carribiean) with their names, and so I'm getting better at learning the sound/names of different grooves, which helps me communicate with the drummers I play with. The other thing is that some of the swing styles are subtle, and so practicing with them takes a lot more focus than practicing with a metronome or the usual "spang-a-lang" of backing tracks. And then there are a bunch of funk grooves that are real easy to lock into, so that I can easily go into a half-hour modal wanking fest.....Best $8.99 I've spent in a while.

User Info Menu

Ah, I'm glad you like it...I was worried I was starting to sound like a shill for it.

It does actually make practice "fun," which is good, because it leads to...more practice

User Info Menu

I'm enjoying the metrogenius in particular.

It's a real lesson in drumming history too!

User Info Menu

That's a new feature--I haven't played around with it nearly enough yet.

User Info Menu

I also use Drum Genius every day. Would recommend for all kinds of practice applications. Great program.

Worth it for the brush loops alone. There's not a metronome that quite evokes brushes... :-)

User Info Menu

Isn't the advantage of a metronome that *you* have to provide the swing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    Isn't the advantage of a metronome that *you* have to provide the swing?
    If you don't know where the swing is at that's no advantage at all.

The main function of the metronome is to help you stay on a tempo with the feel you've learned elsewhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    IMO such topic deserves its own bloody thread.
    I lost all my bookmarks last windows reinstall
    yeah me too
    lifes tough......... then you die!

User Info Menu

Drum genius is just great...

User Info Menu

This Drum Genius sounds like exactly what I need. What I have is an imac with garageband, an iphone and chromebook. So what are my options in using this? It'd be great if I could use it on my imac and import drum tracks into garageband. I searched but really didn't get a clear understanding for it's usage.