The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Working on bass and melody independence.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's one of my fav tunes evah!

Dude, it's nice and all, but it's not intended to play as a ballad IMO. I take it not everyone got bitten by a hot jazz bug, but don't be afraid to look into the past haha.

You are a great player though, I love your stuff

User Info Menu

I like the ballad treatment. In 6th grade, I was chosen to be one of the Barbershop Boys and to sing at the class graduation. We sang this, along with "Ja-Da, Ja-Da".

Our 6th grade music teacher had the whole class sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" from Carousel. Now that is not an easy song to sing, with a soaring melody line. She started teaching it to us in March, and by the time June 21st rolled around, a lot of the boy's voices had started to change, and we couldn't hit the higher notes. It didn't go very well.
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 03-18-2017 at 08:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    It's one of my fav tunes evah!

Dude, it's nice and all, but it's not intended to play as a ballad IMO. I take it not everyone got bitten by a hot jazz bug, but don't be afraid to look into the past haha.

You are a great player though, I love your stuff
    I appreciate your comment, and your opinion, but to tell me not to be afraid to look into the past? Have you listened to the very first recording of this tune from 1918?

I'm all for jazzing things up, playing uptempo, etc., but also respecting the composer.

User Info Menu

The truth is that this is one of those great tunes like "I'll See You In My Dreams" that was recorded by many, many artists in different styles: Louis A. (medium tempo); Roy Eldridge (fast, up tempo); Bing Crosby (medium, w/ Eddie Lang, Joe Venutti, and Bix Beiderbecke). Nicholas Payton does an interesting version that is medium tempo.

To me, this is the fascination of this music--so many different ways to take a vehicle and make it something personal.

User Info Menu

I agree completely goldenwave77. I really like Django's uptempo version very much.

User Info Menu

I like it - and I admire the skillful and effective use of amplified/electric guitar. I also like the Eydie Gorme clip (particularly for the addition of brass and strings to the rhythm section), but I enjoyed your playing more.

Regarding looking to the past, tempo matters less to me than the rhythmic dynamics of unamplified archtop with (bronze?) strings. For me, solo, nothing captures the tone of that Marion Harris clip like Marty Grosz's tuning - though tuning down a minor third comes pretty close. But I can't bear the sound of amplified/electric guitar used to 'approximate' that sound.

On the other hand, I think your playing sounds elegant and complete.

User Info Menu

Lovely playing, Chris.
    Uptempo romps are fun for blowing, but for putting emotion into a melody, it usually helps to take it slow and give the listener time and space to absorb it.

User Info Menu

Chris, I dig it...sounds really good...

Here's the Mr Freddie Powers with Clint Strong on guitar. Clint spent about 5 years with the Merle Haggard band. Read a funny story where Clint talking to Merle's bass player and said "Every now and then Merle's gives me a funny look when I do a solo, is anything wrong"...bass player say's "not that I know of, but oh yeah, just remember Merle's pays by the show not the number of notes you play".....but Clint played some mighty fine stuff with Merle...

Last edited by BFrench; 03-18-2017 at 04:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice playing. Enjoyed it. Below are two of my favorite versions

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Lovely playing, Chris.
    Uptempo romps are fun for blowing, but for putting emotion into a melody, it usually helps to take it slow and give the listener time and space to absorb it.
    I dunno, plenty emotions for me here:

In fact, it's a golden standard how to treat this tune for me.

But also sometimes a very hip way to present the first chorus as a ballad, and then launch into full tempo, like Ella did here. A lot of singers I saw did it that way too.

I enjoyed it! A great melody will stand the test of time no matter what tempo.

User Info Menu

I love Django's version and some of the slower versions including the OPs too...just goes to show you how great this song is that it works at all sorts of tempos...

User Info Menu

Well, this is a guitar forum, yes? Here's another version, one of my favorites, by Paul Yandell, Chet Atkins' number one sideman:

User Info Menu

And Chris, love your arrangement, the harmony is beautiful!

Len

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Whiteman
    Working on bass and melody independence.

Nice work: relaxed and unhurried and unafraid to have the song speak for itself w/o too much unneeded filagree. Good round sound, good voicings. Nice half-diminished chord on the beginning of the last strain when most people play minor.

I'd like to hear more of you. I'd like to have heard a bit more development on this, actually. But I can dig short and sweet, too---especially for a demo-type thing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I dunno, plenty emotions for me here:

In fact, it's a golden standard how to treat this tune for me.
    I just personally discovered this song late last year and while scanning youtube for different versions, came across one of the standards by Django you posted, and then I found this....mind blown...[edit: bummer the video won't play outside youtube, well worth the click over though...]

Last edited by Sundeep; 05-23-2017 at 02:28 PM.