The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 131 of 131

User Info Menu

I dont have his book,I am planing to buy, cause his playing is just outstanding....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    Is the seller's operation as amateur as it looks?
    In defense of Steve Crowell's website, it's been in operation for many years (pre-Amazon). It does look dated now, but back in the days before you could buy anything with a few clicks on your phone and have it tomorrow, that website was a great resource for guitar materials that couldn't be found anywhere else. I bought many books and DVDs there and never had an issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Are there any modern chord melody books?

Modern Songs, not exclusively Jazz Standards.
    Yeah, someone mentioned the Jake Reichbart, he's on Youtube as well, see below!!

"The groups own Jake Reichbart has a couple of published collections--I have his pop hits book and it's great! He's all over the internet (and around here) and his stuff is great."

User Info Menu

None! I'm not that smart. I've developed a strong repertoire from my youth by watching great solo players like Barney Kessel, Tal, and, especially Joe Pass. They showed me how it's supposed to look and sound, and I took it from there..years of persistent, hard work. My biggest discovery was the evolution of my own voice. There are close similarities to expressive language (spoken communication). Your own voice, with all its limitations is the Gift you've been given to develop. Ron V., CT

User Info Menu

Good Chord Melody Book?-screen-shot-2020-03-05-11-31-01-am-jpg

This book and a couple of other Howard Roberts books were a big help for me getting started with jazz. It's out of print but you can find used copies and "other" ways of getting it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fathand
    Yeah, someone mentioned the Jake Reichbart, he's on Youtube as well, see below!! :
    Not a book, so off topic. But since Jake has been mentioned and if your learning style is more aligned with hands-on playing than reading, I think Jake's videos are excellent. I've seen a few and each is a general lesson in arranging as well as teaching a specific song... but not a specific arrangement. That is, he's somewhat arranging on the fly. The ideas are practical and immediately useful.