The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 65

User Info Menu

Anyone know where there is a lead sheet online of ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE in g. I found a couple in the 4b key and I don't do so well with all those flats.....thanks.....Dan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ab is the common key for this tune. You'd probably be well-advised to learn it in Ab, if you ever intend to play it with others. If the reading causes problems, maybe it would be helpful to find a YouTube recording and learn it by ear?

No thanks to Ab and I like to play solo near or around the 1st pos so I can read my music. I can play well over 500 songs and no way could I memorize 50 of them and I don't play by ear.....thanks.....Dan

User Info Menu

Not free, but I think if you purchase music from musicnotes.com you can choose the key for your tune before you download.

Honestly, Dan, if you want to play jazz tunes/standards in first position, you'll save yourself a lot of grief getting better at transposing.

User Info Menu

If you can get by with just a transposable chord chart, I'd highly recommend iReal-Pro. ATTYA is tricky, but most of the melody notes are right there in the chords, so if you know the melody well enough to hum it it's not too difficult to fake the head from a chord chart.

Playing this tune entirely in first position with both chords and melody and good voicings would be tough. It gets much easier if you're willing to venture up at least a couple of frets for some passages.
    Last edited by KirkP; 02-16-2017 at 05:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Dan
    I brought this up on Band In A Box with the melody, changed the key to G and created this jpeg. I think, though, that you're going to find parts of it still quite difficult because of the modulations that happen within the song. Still, here is the chart and good luck with it!

BTW if you haven't already learned it, "My Romance" can work pretty well in 1st position in C.

All The Things You Are Lead Sheet?-all-things-you-jpg

Hey Lawson I appreciate this and I'll take a look at My Romance in c......thanks.....Dan

Hey Lawson. The key of g won't work so I'm giving it a go in c....thanks again.....Dan

Lawson.....In the 6th measure I need a chord for the eb melody note on the second string.....thanks.....Dan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    Hey Lawson. The key of g won't work so I'm giving it a go in c....thanks again.....Dan
    Have you got a lead sheet in C?

User Info Menu

Lawson.....In the 6th measure I need a chord for the eb melody note on the second string.....thanks.....Dan
    You could use a B7 barred on the 2nd fret:

E-x
    A-2
    D-4
    G-2
    B-4
    [E-2]

That works....thanks....Dan

In the 15th measure the A# in g becomes d# in c. F# becomes B#??? in c. I would like to play the melody note of d# and then a chord.....thanks

User Info Menu

I think you want a B natural chord there. I'd suggest a BMaj9:

E-x
    A-2
    D-1 (your melody note)
    G-3
    B-2
    E-x

You could also use a B6/9

E-2
    A-2
    D-1
    G-1
    B-2
    E-2

Here's the Band-in-a-box chart transposed to C:

All The Things You Are Lead Sheet?-all_the_things_u_r-c-jpg

I don't have a lead sheet in c....wish I did to check for mistakes in my transposition.....Dan

User Info Menu

I don't have a lead sheet in c....wish I did to check for mistakes in my transposition.....Dan
    I just posted one before your last message. Check it out.

Got it!.....thanks....Dan

Lawson....in the 17th measure the melody note is gb and the chart calls for db m7. I need a chord with the gb in it to be held for two beats.....then there is an e melody note that I need a chord for which is also held for a couple of beats.....thanks....Dan
    Last edited by jazzdan; 02-19-2017 at 07:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Lawson....in the 17th measure the melody note is gb and the chart calls for db m7. I need a chord with the gb in it to be held for two beats.....then there is an e melody note that I need a chord for which is also held for a couple of beats.....thanks....Dan
    Here's Dbm11, which is has both of those melody notes. The 5th is omitted, but no one will miss it.

Thanks Kirk but on a classical guitar that is a bit of a stretch....Dan

User Info Menu

Not to intrude but you could try:

x-2-2-1-2-2 and move to the open E for the second note. You don't really need the B on the 5th string either so that would make for a pretty compact chord in first position.

Thanks Kirk but on a classical guitar that is a bit of a stretch....Dan
    You play the first string note with the bottom joint of your first finger, as if you're placing a barre at that fret. Easy on the hands and doesn't require the stretch of a fingertip placement there.

Actually learned that from my classical teacher.

Matt, are you talking about trying to do Kirk's chord or Colin's?.....thanks.....Dan

Kirk's

Not a full barre. Holding down 1st string only. Basically no stretch. I have stumps for fingers btw. :-)
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-20-2017 at 01:28 PM.

User Info Menu

The best first position voicing is:

E-x
    A-4
    D-2
    G-4
    B-4
    E-2

Then for the E on top, just the standard position for Dbm7 with the barre at the 4th fret, E is on the B string.