The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 65

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO
    Not to intrude but you could try:

x-2-2-1-2-2 and move to the open E for the second note. You don't really need the B on the 5th string either so that would make for a pretty compact chord in first position.
    Yes this is likely the easiest way to do it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I'm playing single notes gb b and eb.....leaving the 3rd finger on the b and reaching the other notes. I'm getting better at it now. I'm then using Colin's idea and forming an e chord for the open e half note in the second half of the measure....thanks....Dan

Measure 21 has a eb to a db. I need chords for both of those notes. The chart suggests bbm7 but that doesn't have the melody notes???....thanks....Dan

Lawson: So if I play db as my bass note and grab b eb and the melody note gb.....I'm good?.....Dan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    Measure 21 has a eb to a db. I need chords for both of those notes. The chart suggests bbm7 but that doesn't have the melody notes???....thanks....Dan
    x-1-3-1-2-1

And just hit the Eb on the second string with your 4th finger and remove the 4th finger for the Db.

Or just:
    x-x-3-3-4-x to x-x-3-3-2-x using the Am open grip.

User Info Menu

I'm playing single notes gb b and eb.....leaving the 3rd finger on the b and reaching the other notes. I'm getting better at it now. I'm then using Colin's idea and forming an e chord for the open e half note in the second half of the measure....thanks....Dan
    Actually the chord I wrote is a Dbm11 chord with a B in the bass. Using the same grip over both notes just changes to a Dbm with B in bass when you remove the 4th finger from the first string F# and play the open E. So:

x-2-2-1-2-2 to x-2-2-1-2-0

or just don't play the B on the 5th string at all and it still works.

In other words, its a Dbm for both notes. It's not an E chord over the open e note. Technically, the "e" note is really an Fb but that's just to weird.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ColinO; 02-20-2017 at 02:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's how I finger what I diagrammed. I'm using nylon, but the neck is a bit more narrow than classical.

Matt's alternative with a barre is also good, and probably easier. But the note rings more clearly for me with a fingertip. I also like the open sound of just 4 notes.

Here's an easier to finger alternative. It's the first position Am7 shape barred up to the 4th fret. I added my pinkie for the first melody note (the 11th), then release it for the second note.

Note that this chord shape does include the 5th. I think it sounds much cooler to play a b5 there instead (with a slight refingering), but it's optional.
    Last edited by KirkP; 02-20-2017 at 06:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Lawson: So if I play db as my bass note and grab b eb and the melody note gb.....I'm good?.....Dan
    Yes, I think so. You have the root of the chord, which matters playing solo; and you have the melody note. You also have the 7th (b) and the 3rd (eb) so yes, you have a workable grip there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Yes, I think so. You have the root of the chord, which matters playing solo; and you have the melody note. You also have the 7th (b) and the 3rd (eb) so yes, you have a workable grip there.
    I hope you don't mind me jumping in.
    If you're still talking about bar 17, the minor 3d of Dbm7 is E, not Eb. The 5th is excess baggage, so the essential notes of Dbm7 are Db (root), B (b7) and E (b3). Add the Gb (11th) on top for the first melody note. The two fingering options I suggested include these notes.
    Last edited by KirkP; 02-20-2017 at 06:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I hope you don't mind me jumping in.
    If you're still talking about bar 17, the minor 3d of Dbm7 is E, not Eb. The 5th is excess baggage, so the essential notes of Dbm7 are Db (root), B (b7) and E (b3). Add the Gb (11th) on top for the first melody note. The two fingering options I suggested include these notes.
    Right... another brain cell just hit the bug-light...

Would somebody pick up their classical guitar and play this tune. I can't get the middle part to sound good.....thanks....Dan

User Info Menu

Here is a kind of step-through, not a really polished performance. I do the Dbm7 up at the 4th fret which you will likely not want to do, but for me it's easy because the Dbm7 phrase and the following Bbm7 phrase can be played identically as to fingering, which helps my feeble memory.

Lots of goofs here, somewhere I say "A" when I mean "Ab"

with this, I have to bow out of this thread now. I have put more time into it than I actually have, and need to get back to my work and other projects.

All the best!

In the 32nd measure the chart calls for eb dim but the melody note is b.....what chord should I play here.....thanks....Dan

User Info Menu

In the 32nd measure the chart calls for eb dim but the melody note is b.....what chord should I play here.....thanks....Dan
    Try B7 - see if that works.

User Info Menu

Try B7 - see if that works.
    The B7 could be played with the D#/Eb as the bass and keep the root movement going.

B7 Lawson works fine with either the b as the bass note or the db as Lawson suggests.....thanks

User Info Menu

B7 Lawson works fine with either the b as the bass note or the db as Lawson suggests.....thanks
    It's nicest to have Eb as the bass note, for chromatic movement between bass notes of the chords before and after. Here's how I would play Ebdim with B in the melody. You must mute two strings, but that's easy.
    Last edited by KirkP; 02-22-2017 at 06:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Am I missing something? The 32nd bar is an Ebo but the melody note is G, or rather G to F.
    Last edited by ragman1; 02-22-2017 at 07:54 PM.

User Info Menu

He is doing it in C.

User Info Menu

He is doing it in C.
    Oh, whoops! Sorry, it's Ebo in Ab too.

Ok, what about

x675x7

if you want the Eb kept in the bass - and bar it so you get the next note A.

(This might be controversial but, if the idea is to make it easier because it's in C, it doesn't really because you run into trouble later on).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Oh, whoops! Sorry, it's Ebo in Ab too.

Ok, what about

x675x7

if you want the Eb kept in the bass - and bar it so you get the next note A.

(This might be controversial but, if the idea is to make it easier because it's in C, it doesn't really because you run into trouble later on).
    He's also keeping it in the first position, so all the melody notes are down an octave.

User Info Menu

I guess I am just being a curmudgeon here, and kudos to @lawson-stone, but if the OP insists on playing out of first-position he obviates the beauty of the changes. Learn the tune in Ab. Will take time but allow you to play the tune with others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deselby
    I guess I am just being a curmudgeon here, and kudos to @lawson-stone, but if the OP insists on playing out of first-position he obviates the beauty of the changes. Learn the tune in Ab. Will take time but allow you to play the tune with others.
    The man has a right to play the tune however he wants. We always talk about how it's great to learn tunes in all 12 keys, and playing in different octaves is also good. I'm happy when anyone wants to learn these songs any way they can. The beauty of the changes isn't about what key it's in. It's in the intervals, and those are preserved in any key.

Dan is a trooper who plays out a lot for audiences, and he likes to play within his ability and preference range. I enjoy helping him out. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm just happy any time someone commits to playing these tunes.

A good tune will hold its own.

User Info Menu

Lawson, that sounds very good and Dan certainly has the 'right' to play it where he wants. Trouble is, he might not know what he's letting himself in for.

Sounds like he wants to play some kind of quintessential jazz tune, which ATTYA is, really simply in C, possibly the easiest key. Problem is, it's not a simple tune. It goes from C into four separate keys after that - E, G, B, and Ab - so it's not easy at all. How's he going to do that?

He might want to keep the tune in the low position but that's not going to help with the chords unless they're simplified to the point where they're no longer familiar chords or the chords they're supposed to be. Personally I'd never even start doing this because I can see the pitfalls.

Far better to save the guy a lot of time and struggle. He'd be better off playing something a LOT simpler... and I'm not sure what that might be. These jazz tunes are tricky. My Romance isn't easy even in C, there's two chords per bar nearly every bar!

Sorry, but I like to be straight about these things. You can pick me up on it if you want :-)
    Last edited by ragman1; 02-23-2017 at 06:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Lawson -

Just seen your video and good on you. It's pretty well done but there are a lot of quite hard stretches and bars in there. I'd say even like that it's not easy.

I think it's all Dan's fault myself (joke)