Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 51

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool & useful review

User Info Menu

I love how the Boss OC-3 lets you control the range of notes assigned to the bass, and that the dry signal can be sent to a separate channel. (I'd love to hear how that sounds through a two-amp set-up.)

User Info Menu

Here you go !

User Info Menu

Oh very good. I shall watch this later.

Still undecided how much I want to go down the OC3/hybrid picking rabbit hole. I think I might find it fun though.

User Info Menu

TBH, no new info here for me re: the OC3 and playing techniques. Just Gilad being awesome obviously. Basically I need to practice. :-)

The Freeze thing is interesting. I do use a freeze pedal but not that much.

I notice that Gilad also Loops the bass line in his performance. My experience is that this has been very hard to make work with a band...Using a split signal and a bass amp would help with the drummer hearing it perhaps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MGranada

Here you go !
    Great bass sound ("Big!", as Benny Hill would say).

Simpler pedal than a Boss OC-3, so no split signal, but I like the sounds I'm getting from a Mooer Tender:

User Info Menu

Christian,
    Thanks very much for your helpful and informative review. I'd seen/heard the Gilad H video previously and wow while he has a beautiful and complex concept, it's way more processed than I'd ever be interested in. But the sound you're getting with just the OC3, that's what I need for a duo project. The pedal's on my must-buy list for 2017. Much obliged to you.

User Info Menu

I've been using the OC3 quite alot since I bought it, and must say I'm impressed with it!!
    I use it a little different though, not the poly/frequency-mode:

User Info Menu

Great playing.

I see you have seven string anyway... I'm not sure if I hear how you are using the OC3 though... Are you seperating the bass strings through that other pickup and sending that though the pedal into a bass amp?

User Info Menu

Correct! So I'm pretty much doing what the pedal is supposed to simulate....
    Wish I knew that pedal existed before I started to modify the guitar. Haha!

User Info Menu

Didn't Tal Farlow use to drop only his A string an octave for solo stuff? That works well because the 6th string doesn't change, so you get less of the effect Christian talked about, if only the A string notes are dropping. However the A string does get sloppy if you use a regular string gauge.

It would be cool if the pedal could do this, I don't know if it can.

User Info Menu

Just downloaded the manual - no it can't, or so it seems. The range option just sets the upper cutoff point where the octave effect stops, as far as I can make out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Didn't Tal Farlow use to drop only his A string an octave for solo stuff? That works well because the 6th string doesn't change, so you get less of the effect Christian talked about, if only the A string notes are dropping. However the A string does get sloppy if you use a regular string gauge.

It would be cool if the pedal could do this, I don't know if it can.
    I've tried it, it's really fun.

If there's a pedal that can do it, holy crap take my money.

Christian, pretty impressed with your review, I'd say pretty useful.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 01-14-2017 at 07:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Used it tonight with my nylon string... TBH the bass was a bit underwhelming through my AER Alpha at gig levels. Not much of a surprise I guess!

User Info Menu

An OC-3 is a useful tool for a jazz guitarist. I used it on a few shows over the summer, when we didn't have a bass player, for loud, rock things where the keyboard bass didn't cut it.

Then I realized my PV amp had an 'octaver' built into it. It sounded terrible though, so I kept using the OC-3.

Recently a bass player cancelled out on a big band rehearsal, and the leader asked me if I could fill in.
    i brought the OC-3, and the guys really dug it. I had problems sight reading bass clef at 400bpm, though!

It's fun to use on solo guitar stuff, but you've got to be careful to not use any voicings that have notes that are too high on the A string.

Still, it's cheaper and easier than buying a seven string, and its got an overdrive that's very useful for those times when you feel the need to play metal bass riffs in your solos...

User Info Menu

Boss needs to send Gilad a big fat check. There are a lot of forums around the internet where people reference him as their reason they looked into the OC3

User Info Menu

Guys can you help me with one issue... when I play in poly mode the high register sounds like a guitar only. But in the bass register I hear both guitar and bass octave. But when I watch demos I hear it like there`s only bass in a low register in poly mode ...

Do I hear it wrongly? Or is there really a way to split it clearly?

Thanks

Funny thing to use a freeze with it was also the idea that came to me almost immidiately

User Info Menu

You can totally split the outputs if you want by using a mix of direct out and setting the direct and oct 1 volume levels. I have done the Gilad thing and sent it to a seperate bass amp completely independently of the main guitar signal.

Or you can mix them if you are using one amp.

That said I don't think there's a way to remove the guitar signal in the lower register.

I have ended up using this pedal a lot more than I thought in that video.
    Last edited by christianm77; 04-21-2017 at 06:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes I did that too... but in the guitar amp I could hear full chord...

Like I play 3-333- gm7 chord and I hear this full chord in guitar amp and octave lower g tone in bass amp...

G note is doubled

User Info Menu

Yeah I just think that's the way it has to be - what videos are you referring to where it is otherwise? Gilad's?

Perhaps in his case he has a mod?

User Info Menu

Well yes ... in Gilad's video I seem to hear pure bass only in poly mode...
    Bracer uses additional pickup... But I do not see anything like that on Gilad's guitar
    Though he has plenty of other stuff there maybe
    Last edited by Jonah; 04-22-2017 at 01:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Now you mention it, I think I can hear the octave doubling in Christian's video, I didn't notice it before.

Maybe if you split the octave signal to another amp, you could put some kind of low pass filter pedal on it to suppress the upper note? Perhaps Gilad has got something like that.

User Info Menu

I have the low octave dialled up pretty loud

User Info Menu

To be honest Gilad's sound in this video is too much under other effects to my taste... I cannot hear if there's octave or not with all these delays and reverbs

But like freeze thing... I first saw Bill Frisell using it but Bill did it more like colouristic effect and then I thought about using it like piano sustain ... and this boss pedal and looper... could ne interesting to combine it

I tried micro pog in the shop ... sound is very cool but the price