The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi,

I really love solo jazz guitar/ chord melody style. I've worked through Robert Conti's 'Chord Melody Assembly Line' and 'The Formula'. Lifechanging. Taught me how to arrange songs. What I'm after now is a book of arrangements. I need to learn what others do to have incorporate some more ideas into my arrangements. I know what Conti does, and while his harmonic approach is brilliant, I don't love his arrangements. Too many chords, not enough space. I'm after more of a Joe Pass kind of thing, with all the embellishments. I can't seem to find anything googling around. Anyone know of anything? Standard notation more than ok.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DustyRusty
    I'm after more of a Joe Pass kind of thing, with all the embellishments. I can't seem to find anything googling around. Anyone know of anything? Standard notation more than ok.

Thanks!
    here you go

https://www.amazon.com/Joe-Pass-Chor.../dp/0739007459

great book.

Thank you!

User Info Menu

I'd also suggest the Steve Crowell books on Jazz Standards in Chord-Melody Style. I know they're still out there, but I'm not sure where. Somewhere online. I'll look.

When I started in jazz, those arrangements were where I cut my teeth. They are not beginner, but not ultra-advanced either. All are pedagogically intentional, teaching various devices and phrases that are very transferable to other contexts.

User Info Menu

There are also a ton of Stacy McKee arrangements out there online, and they tend to be very nice.

User Info Menu

You could leave out some of Conti's chords. I agree a block chord on every melody note is tedious. I think Conti points this out in the intro to his book.

Crowell's stuff is like Conti's. Full chord on every beat.

This is a very good book on CM that I believe is exactly what you are looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Berklee-Jazz-.../dp/0876391366

For each tune he discusses his thinking behind the arrangement. Very cool.

And here is the author doing one of the arrangements (My Romance is in book)

The CD that comes with the book is very enjoyable to listen to. Musical.

There are several readers that offer up arrangements from the book on YT too.

Barry Greene has an informative CM lesson on Mike's Master Classes where he breaks down his thinking on developing his own arrangements on the tune My Romance. Barry also has a CM book called Solo Jazz Guitar. More technique to develop your own arrangement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    There are also a ton of Stacy McKee arrangements out there online, and they tend to be very nice.
    Steven Herron has a boatload of those at his site for $3 each.

Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar

User Info Menu

You can find many of Ted Greene's chord melody arrangements / lessons at the site devoted to him

TedGreene.com - The Legacy Of Ted Greene Lives On

User Info Menu

There is also a series of books with arrangements by Jeff Arnold. Most of these arrangements are not too dense and they are relatively easy to play. Some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1423405870

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1423405900

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1423405897

User Info Menu

Check out the Barry Galbraith guitar solo books. I have another one here called "Jazz Guitar Standards: Chord Melody Solos" by Mel Bay which is an interesting collection of arrangements by multiple different people including Barry Greene, Sid Jacobs, Jack Wilkins, Chris Buzzelli and others. I like some of the arrangements in this book and others not so much, but it's good for showing a variety of ways to arrange a tune. The recordings don't always match the notation exactly, but apparently it's each artist recording their own arrangement, so they have a free pass to record it however they want. Also check out lickbyneck.com for thousands of quality free arrangements and if you are more of a visual learner than a reader, you might dig the software they use which shows the arrangement being played on a guitar neck illustration thing with light up dots. They sound like they are a bit more on the advanced side though.

User Info Menu

There is a free download of Barry Galbraith Chord Melody arrangements. There are forty-two of them. No tabs all in notation . Good for the soul! I think they are on Alan Polon's site. Also MusiCentre.co.uk as an ebook.

User Info Menu

There is also a book of standards written by bill leavitt (not the Berklee book series) this PDF starts with ATTYA, it's brilliant. A quick google search may find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is all gold. And plenty to work through for many years. Thank you for the suggestions everyone - just what I was after!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    You can find many of Ted Greene's chord melody arrangements / lessons at the site devoted to him

TedGreene.com - The Legacy Of Ted Greene Lives On
    wow awesome!!

User Info Menu

Gene Bertoncini's book would be interesting, his arrangements are delightful.

User Info Menu

Tim Lerch has a bunch of good ones, mostly in the Ted Green style. Most are accompanied by videos.
    http://www.timlerch.com/lessons.html
    Last edited by KirkP; 10-28-2016 at 02:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Tim Lerch has a bunch of good ones, mostly in the Ted Green style. Most are accompanied by videos.
    Tim's a great guy. (And a member here!) Great player and he posts some nice lessons like this from time to time. I really like the one he did for "Sweet Lorraine" in walking-bass style.