Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    User Info Menu


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I think you sound beautiful! Your sound and pacing are on a high level. Rubato was very relaxed and unhurried. When you got into tempo it was thoughtful and purposeful playing with good content. The performance was just long enough and always with a sense of the song. I quite enjoyed hearing you.

    Personally I prefer half-dimished chords to chromatic ii vs, like at the end of the 1st A here, but that's just my taste.

    Play on, brother. You sound great...

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Great! Nice relaxed version of TWNBAY. Very nice playing!

    :: Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group ::
    ::::::: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! :::::::
    :: Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva & The Tracies :::

  5. #4
    magnificent Chris !

    a joy to hear you play this tune,too often boring in the hands of others players
    HB
    "you approach harmony in a unique way.Very original,and the more I listen to your posts,the more I appreciating it."
    Chris Whiteman,professor of jazz music,University of Miami

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Whiteman View Post
    That's really nice. I love that tune. Your sound is really lush and beautiful, your technique is super-clean, the chords are tasty.

    Thanks for posting this!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack View Post
    I think you sound beautiful! Your sound and pacing are on a high level. Rubato was very relaxed and unhurried. When you got into tempo it was thoughtful and purposeful playing with good content. The performance was just long enough and always with a sense of the song. I quite enjoyed hearing you.

    Personally I prefer half-dimished chords to chromatic ii vs, like at the end of the 1st A here, but that's just my taste.

    Play on, brother. You sound great...

    Thank you and everyone else for the positive feedback. This forum is a great source of encouragement.


    Fasstrack, I would like to hear more about the half-diminished chords you like to use at the end of the 1st A section Fmin7b5 - Bb7 ???


    Thanks

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    wow man-- really really nice.
    White belt
    My Youtube

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Whiteman View Post
    Thank you and everyone else for the positive feedback. This forum is a great source of encouragement.


    Fasstrack, I would like to hear more about the half-diminished chords you like to use at the end of the 1st A section Fmin7b5 - Bb7 ???


    Thanks
    Sure, and thanks for asking. Yeah, F half-diminished-Bb7b9

    It's really a personal thing: I like notes, chords, harmonic rhythms with some 'daylight between them'---meaning space. (I'm mostly talking about for blowing here.) The chromatic ii v thing forces my melodic thinking into a more crowded space. If someone is feeding me those changes I will respond by letting one of them go by, because if I play on both chords I have to maybe repeat a pattern, and to me that gets old quickly.

    A half-diminished over 1 note covering 4 beats gives me more room to maneuver melodically, plus I'm more attracted to the color in the initial harmonization. This tune and Stella have the same opportunities to make that choice in practically the same spots: the end of sections.

    There, I've said it!...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 09-22-2016 at 11:16 AM.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack View Post
    Sure, and thanks for asking. Yeah, F half-diminished-Bb7b9

    It's really a personal thing: I like notes, chords, harmonic rhythms with some 'daylight between them'---meaning space. (I'm mostly talking about for blowing here.) The chromatic ii v thing forces my melodic thinking into a more crowded space. If someone is feeding me those changes I will respond by letting one of them go by, because if I play on both chords I have to maybe repeat a pattern, and to me that gets old quickly.

    A half-diminished over 1 note covering 4 beats gives me more room to maneuver melodically, plus I'm more attracted to the color in the initial harmonization. This tune and Stella have the same opportunities to make that choice in practically the same spots: the end of sections.

    There, I've said it!...
    Thanks, that makes sense. I just listened to an interview with Bobby Broom and he was asked what about his playing caught Sonny Rollins' attention and he said it was the fact that he left a lot of space when he accompanied. He said that was why Sonny liked Jim Hall so much. The fact that all the notes in the scale weren't being fed too him in lots of chords all the time "forcing his melodic thinking".

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Whiteman View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense. I just listened to an interview with Bobby Broom and he was asked what about his playing caught Sonny Rollins' attention and he said it was the fact that he left a lot of space when he accompanied. He said that was why Sonny liked Jim Hall so much. The fact that all the notes in the scale weren't being fed too him in lots of chords all the time "forcing his melodic thinking".
    I've heard Mr. Hall, as most of us would agree not only one of the best accompanists ever but also an astute commentator on the subject, say many times that he approached comping according to the needs of the player. E.g: Art Farmer liked to hear the chord first and respond, Mr. Rollins preferred to lead you.

    That of course comes back to that maxim about music generally and---art being a great teacher---life as well:

    'Listen Louder'...

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    And Bobby's cool, too. Good, strong, solid player with a nice grasp of the basics.

    We played a few times back in the '80s, but I haven't seen him since he split NY for Chitown...

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Splendid performance, Chris. Really enjoyed that. (Love that tune too.)
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

  14. #13
    Really outstanding Chris. The chord soloing on the middle section was particularly good. Best one from you yet, for sure. Congrats.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Great playing, do you have a pdf or chart of this CM?

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Sounds great man. Really nice chord movement going on in there.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4 View Post
    Great playing, do you have a pdf or chart of this CM?
    Don't have anything written down, but hopefully will have some time in the next few weeks to write it out.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Great playing, great tone! Stock pups?

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Lovely ...

    Well I did like the F#min B7 , Fmin7 Bb7 , turnaround thing ....

    So there ... Fass !

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic View Post
    Great playing, great tone! Stock pups?
    Yes, they are the stock Ibanez Super 58's. This is the second Ibanez I've had with these pickups and really like them.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    very professional.....beautiful playing......what else can you say.........

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Man, this is what I want to be able to do one day... Time to practice!
    Completely unhindered by talent.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    I hope you enjoy it. Suggestions will be welcome.



  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    nice tone & beautifully played as always Chris!

    funny how we all end up choosing a lot of the same tunes,

    i guess they just lend themselves easily to the guitar.

    cheers, JT

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    once i got to play the this tune with the great Howard Alden at a jam session.

    1988

    it was big fun and Howard was very gracious with his words and notes.

    best, JT