The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi guys here is a version of the beautiful Johnny Green classic Body and Soul. I'm playing a tele that is tuned down a minor third to Db. What do you think about Low tuned guitars for playing Solo?

all the best
    Tim

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds great Tim! How's the feel of the strings when you tune that low? Did you have to switch to a heavier gauge than normally?

User Info Menu

It has some xylophonish vibe in the middle, the bass is hammondish. gl

User Info Menu

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the strings are 14-60 round wound with a 22 Plain G.
    They feel big under your fingers but the tension is about the same as a set of 11-50 tuned to standard pitch.
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    What do you think about Low tuned guitars for playing Solo?
    Sounds good to me!

User Info Menu

Interesting! I do definitely prefer your "usual tone." The tone from this makes me think of a slowed down youtube video. Amazing playing as always, Tim. I always wanted to try the old "A string down an octave" thing, but I think you really need to get a fat string and file the nut a bit to do it right. I assume you've heard of that? I learned about it from this forum, but I learned Tal Farlow did it for some solo stuff (Autumn Leaves is the only one I know off hand).

Anyway, I'm more curious on your opinion of your drop tuning; do you think you'll stick with it for a while?

Edit: funny...isn't your "usual" tone also down tuned? The difference I heard is probably psychological haha
    Last edited by joe2758; 08-31-2016 at 01:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi Joe,
    My usual tuning for solo Guitar is down a half step. I often use this particular guitar tuned down a whole step for accompanying singers. I have toyed around with Db tuning for about ten years but don't take it on gigs, you are right it does feel a little "sluggish". I may use it in Db for a tune or two on my upcoming Solo recording.
    Tim

User Info Menu

tuning that low with a standard guitar scale requires super intonation..not only with the actual set up of the guitar, but fingering as well...starting to approach fretless or sitar like bending

fender had a 27"(or so) scale bari..and danelectro has their classic 30" baritone..which can be dropped down to A...while holding the fretted integrity of the note a little more accurately

though tim, i could dig hearing you just tune a guitar!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Tim - Absolutely beautiful playing! Love it.

I played along in Bb with your video on my classical nylon string guitar and it was a blast! Beautiful tone in any case - yours, of course.

User Info Menu

Great as usual...looking forward to your upcoming solo album...

User Info Menu

Tim, your playing always sounds good to me!

User Info Menu

Wow. Another great solo flyer here on the forum.

Personally, I loved the tone and the recording quality, and the way the notes popped or chimed as you chose.

User Info Menu

Lovely playing as always! I like the sound very much, it's got that low mid Hammond zoom to it. Very deep. A whole cd with this I would listen for months and more. I'd prefer Ted Greene's record with this sound instead of the Leslie. Anyway: I think Tele + 14s + Your/This kind of playing is a great discovery!

User Info Menu

Thanks Guys,
    I'll start working seriously (i'm always working) on my Solo CD as soon as we finish the Pearl Django CD which should be just after the first of the year 2017. I've been putting the solo CD off for a few years because I keep telling my self I'm on the verge of getting over a hump in my playing. I suppose that's just an excuse I've been using to avoid the inevitable. Anyway, thanks guys for your encouragement.
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Tim I love your arrangements!
    And your low-tuned thick -strummed Tele sounds just perfect for me.
    Going to work on your "What is this thing called love" and "Sweet Lorraine" )

User Info Menu

Thanks Blackraven,
    I really like that What is this thing arrangement, Its really fun to play.
    hope you get it going and enjoy it.
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Here is a different video of this guitar also tuned to Db . This time i'm doing Embraceable You with a vocal. You get to hear the low tuned accompaniment side of things. Enjoy

Tim

User Info Menu

I tune down a whole step....just makes fingering easier...seems to reduce the tension a bit....I was having trouble adjusting to a semi-hollow from an easy and soft playing archtop......dropping down a whole step...made a difference

User Info Menu

Hey Guys,
    I have finally gotten around to releasing audio versions of my popular Solo Guitar Videos. Its a download compilation of 17 tunes in high quality audio.
    Visit
    Tim Lerch Jazz and Blues Guitar
    hit the paypal button and I'll send you the link.

thanks for all of your support
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Hey Guys,
    I have finally gotten around to releasing audio versions of my popular Solo Guitar Videos. Its a download compilation of 17 tunes in high quality audio.
    Visit
    Tim Lerch Jazz and Blues Guitar
    hit the paypal button and I'll send you the link.

thanks for all of your support
    Tim

Great news, Tim! Mom's birthday was Monday (same as yours!) and mine is next week, meaning she will ask me to pick out some things I want, order them, and let her pay. You're now on my list!

User Info Menu

Interesting. I have 2 solo gigs at a nursing home this week plus a wedding on the weekend. I might fool around with lower tunings this week before the gigs. Think i might just go for a 1/2 step down first. I'll report how the lower tunings go.