The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Performed by Jason Vieaux. Jason is a highly respected classical guitarist. But he on occasion does amazing jazz arrangements. Jason's "Guitar Recital" CD is the one that got me hooked on classical guitar about 15 years ago. I enjoyed that CD so much, I learned 12 of the pieces on it. Those were really the first classical guitar pieces I learned. Anyways, just stumbled on this and thought some of you here might enjoy it. As a side note if you like Pat Metheny, Jason also has an entire CD of solo classical guitar arrangements of Pat Metheny tunes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The world is such a different place than when I started classical guitar lessons back around the age of eleven or twelve!

After playing through your Jason Vieaux video of "In a Sentimental Mood", I spent about forty minutes or so looking at other videos of Jason playing and teaching his Classical Guitar classes. While I disagree with a few things he does including the ping pong thumbnail thing, I think he is an excellent teacher and guitarist with whom I would love to work and study as a student. In fact if I were looking for online classical instruction, I think I would certainly delve into his videos as I think he delivers value and insights. Just the idea of the possibility of online instruction from a masterful guitarist like Jason is an exciting thought. Not going to happen for me - I'm at the wrong end of the looking glass at this point - but Jason can play.

Just the experience of going through a few of his videos of classical pieces from Bach, Barrios, and Tarrega reminded me that I have quite a few pieces from the classical repertoire that I could use in mine.

User Info Menu

Jason is one of the instructors on Artistworks. While that is not the same as taking private lessons from him, the Artistworks format is generally pretty good.

User Info Menu

I`ve watched this and now I`ve got a question. I have no degree in music and so on. So tell me guys, what the difference between jazz chord melody arrangement and classical guitar. Yes I know about play from music sheet and jazz improvization, The Real Book and Bach and so on. But in general, in technique? Classical guitar players play melody+chords (sort of). So it`s the definition of chord-melody )

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I`ve watched this and now I`ve got a question. I have no degree in music and so on. So tell me guys, what the difference between jazz chord melody arrangement and classical guitar. Yes I know about play from music sheet and jazz improvization, The Real Book and Bach and so on. But in general, in technique? Classical guitar players play melody+chords (sort of). So it`s the definition of chord-melody )
    I think in essence there is no real difference. There of course may be differences in the approach used to make the arrangement and also the musical influences of each person may be very different and that will be reflected in the arrangement. So at least to my ears, I think I would be able to tell the difference between an arrangement made by a pure jazz person and a classical guitar person. I think that is because there are certain arranging techniques that are typical of each idiom. Also there can be a noticeable difference between an arrangement done by someone who primarily thinks in patterns and uses their ear (i.e. Joe Pass), and someone who knows all the classical harmony theory and four part voice writing. But in today's world with more and more formally educated jazz guitarists, this will naturally become less noticeable. Jason Vieaux is a hardcore classical guy, but one of his biggest musical influences is Pat Metheny, and you can hear Pat Metheny influence in this arrangement, at least I do.

User Info Menu

Listen to Gene Bertoncini. He will pretty much settle the question.

User Info Menu

I don't think that fundamentally there is much difference, though I agree that certain stylistic traits of each idiom and certain approaches might differentiate arrangements. But when I think of a classical guitarist playing and arranging jazz standards, I naturally think of Roland Dyens. Fabulous player, composer, arranger.... Talent.

Last edited by targuit; 09-07-2016 at 11:18 AM.

User Info Menu

I love Jason's version, I took some ideas from the introduction. I Hope you like it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Two cool arrangements! Thanks for sharing!

I especially like the tone you get from the Godin.

User Info Menu

I'm glad you like it.Thanks for your comment.
    The godin is a great guitar and very cofortable

User Info Menu

I remember hearing Jason play a classical guitar recital at St. John's College in Annapolis, MD almost 20 years ago.

He played beautifully with a lot of expression and I've gotta say that he still does!

Thank you for posting that video - it brings back some nice memories!