The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37
    Quote Originally Posted by eh6794
    When the books are ready, I'll get some. Looking forward to that
    Word, I'll try and remember to put up a thread about them here when they're done. I'm close to done working on the 1st book, which is a book of bebop/chromatic etudes that I wrote over common chord progressions. Just gotta get my fingers moving around again!

The next one will be a sort of 'voicings' type book using all this triad stuff I was talking about, and building a vocabulary of voicings and fingers for the most commonly used harmonies and tonalities in standards.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons
    It's a huge topic that's not easy to delve deep into through typed word. I've tried a few times here on the forum. Generally never went over that well, so I try not to bring it up too often.
    I think it went over well enough. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has spent time with your thesis and transcribed your playing. I think many would like to hear you discuss your approach more often, actually.

Get well and thanks for what you share here.

User Info Menu

We need a JazzGuitarForum live youtube interview with Jordan and our other New York you gun Peter Amos with guitars in hand like those ones I have seen with Robben Ford.

PS How do I fix my sideways picture?

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed that. It was a great blend of traditional and non traditional sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons
    Ah man... can't tell you how nice it was to get home from the hospital today, where I was receiving my final chemo treatment...
    Did you have your follow up check? How's it looking? Strength coming back? Keep us posted. Hoping for the best-

David

User Info Menu

Lovely. Just lovely!

Be well. Stay positive.

User Info Menu

Great!! Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Did you have your follow up check? How's it looking? Strength coming back? Keep us posted. Hoping for the best-

David
    Thanks for checking in. I had A check up with the doc. One of many that will be happening for a very long time. I envision we'll be doing these every month or two for a while, then a few times a year, then once a year, then once every few years until I or the doctor is dead
    (sorry for the sick, dark, twisted humor... gotta keep laughing). I envision (and hope) I'll outlive my doc since he's got about 30 years on me.

Long story short... we've seen A LOT of progress and the doctors are happy so far. But we still have work to do, and tests to stay on top of, and kidneys to fix up. In the meantime, chemo is over, oncologist is talking about taking my picc line out as early as next week. My brain is not 100% back to normal numbers, but getting REAL close.

I'm about a week out from my last chemo infusion, so a little bit of strength is starting to come back. Definitely not back to my old self yet. Probably won't be until the kidney procedures are done and I'm healed from that. Once that happens I'll be able to start moving and exercising again, and hopefully that is really what will get me back to my old self.

Thanks again for asking!

User Info Menu

To say well done, awesome great news wrapped for you on an internet forum seems trifling of the situation and achievement. I wish i could shake your hand have a beer with you Jordan in person, slap you on the back and may be even give you a man hug, one day perhaps. So through the ethernet or whatever it is a heart felt slap on the back, tremendous news, may you be filled with wonderful original music.

Thanks so much Triple G. Means a lot. It's a funny place to be. I'm so happy and content right now, but also so physically incapably of really "celebrating"... I still have brain issues to worry about (for the future), kidney procedures to get through, and the tailing off of the toxic chemo side effects to work through. So I'm kind of in a funny place with all of it. But so grateful to be done with the chemo and have seen such tremendous progress with the brain's test results.

Can't thank all of you guys enough for all the support and words of encouragement the last 5 months. It was a dark, painful, and treacherous time for sure... and honestly, it was usually the most random little notes from people that popped up at just the perfect time that brought the most light into my days and helped me get through a lot of tough moments. And many of you all contributed to that. Can't ever express my gratitude fully for that.

Mark... your message reminded me why I loved my time in Perth so much. Everybody I met there just wanted to hang and be great friends and grab a beer and get to know others and spend time together... it was such a great environment to live in. Hard to describe to people who've never visited a place where everyone is like that... but you just reminded me and brought me back. Enjoyed getting to know many a 'stranger' over a beer. I even remember going over to my (then) girlfriend's grandparents house for dinner. I was so nervous to meet them! He was a military man, I had their youngest granddaughter living in America for several years, I was stepping into their turf, still really young and naive. I was just nervous about all of it. We knocked on the door, and this short little 80 year old, maybe 5 ft nothing, but weathered like a muthah f$*#@er opens the door, gives me a quick look up and down, throws his arm around me, and yells "Come on in mate, let's grab a beer!" Hahaha then he proceeded to get us both wasted. It was the most hilarious and fun time ever.

Is everyone like that on the east coast? And in major cities? Or is that a Perth thing?

User Info Menu

Mostly yes Jordan.

I gotta say when I visited New York I found it the same. Actually everywhere I have been except one country that shall remain nameless.

I was expecting everyone in NYC to be in a rush and arrogant but not my experience, except maybe in the busy deli's, talk about white line fever.

Initially it was weird, I helped someone with a pram at a cafe when I first arrived and she said your not from around here are you, no one around here would do that and yet she was super nice (although I can sense bitter about something). Then five minutes later when I gave a granny my seat out the front of the cafe same, she was really surprised and then we had a good ol' chat.

Every where else warm, inviting many hilarious, from cafe's to the baseball to the subway oh and the dudes that hang at the Cage (the 3/4 basketball court near Greenwich those guys are too funny) plus the muso's Peter Bernstein, Jonathan Kreisberg, Colin Stranahan, Rick Rosato, Rotem Sivan, Petros Klampanis and the beautiful Joel Press and his wife plus the ones I don't remember the names of.

I will make it back one day and we will catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Mostly yes Jordan.

I gotta say when I visited New York I found it the same. Actually everywhere I have been except one country that shall remain nameless.

I was expecting everyone in NYC to be in a rush and arrogant but not my experience, except maybe in the busy deli's, talk about white line fever.

Initially it was weird, I helped someone with a pram at a cafe when I first arrived and she said your not from around here are you, no one around here would do that and yet she was super nice (although I can sense bitter about something). Then five minutes later when I gave a granny my seat out the front of the cafe same, she was really surprised and then we had a good ol' chat.

Every where else warm, inviting many hilarious, from cafe's to the baseball to the subway oh and the dudes that hang at the Cage (the 3/4 basketball court near Greenwich those guys are too funny) plus the muso's Peter Bernstein, Jonathan Kreisberg, Colin Stranahan, Rick Rosato, Rotem Sivan, Petros Klampanis and the beautiful Joel Press and his wife plus the ones I don't remember the names of.

I will make it back one day and we will catch up.
    Yeah, some people can be like that here. Especially if you're willing to step out of your own shell first or offer them a hand. Sometimes it takes some prying to get them to open up, other times are easier. All depends.

I will say the musicians here have blown me away. It's like having a second family. Guys were coming to the hospital, bringing me food, coming to hang and play... and when they found out I couldn't play, they were happy to either sit and talk about music or even just to play for me... but keeping the invitation open to get up and play tunes whenever I was ready. Lots of people shared my go fund me page and even helped out a little, which I know they can't afford. Lot's of support texts and emails from some wonderful people. Guys out touring on the road that took time out of their days to send a quick word or two. Really made me feel like part of family. And the musicians in my hometown even took it upon themselves to throw a fundraiser concert for me. It sure is humbling and a beautiful reminder of why I'm so happy I decided to go the music route after school instead of giving it up for something more stable and safe.

Looking forward to catching up next time you're in town and grabbing a drink and/or a show.