The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hi, so I know this is a jazz guitar forum, and this is not really about traditional jazz guitar, but more funky, R&B jazzy blues style guitar.

Yesterday, I went to a guitar store, and usually people who try out guitars assault your ears with a variety of boring blues cliches that are hard to listen to. But yesterday, this guy played amazing stuff, laying down funky chords and hinting a basic syncopated bassline and somehow managing to weave solo lines around this structure, not chord melody like jazz players to, but by switching lead and the basic chord bass line groove, all while maintaining a driving syncopation. Whether it was the solo lines or the rhythm, this syncopation was constant. Sorry this is hard to explain, but there is an approach to playing guitar that is very attractive, yet is seemingly impossible to find on youtube.

You either get solo guitar jazz style, strict swing or 4 to the floor, or just an endless array of notes where you loose track of the rhythm and the underlying progression. Or you get someone with a looper pedal, which to my mind destroys some of the natural charm of the guitar as a solo instrument.

Now this style may be based on a simple vamp with 2-3 chords, and lays down a foundation to solo "in and out of", where the listener is never lost to the groove and chords. Nothing complicated, but this particular player really used an array of inside and outside scales to keep it interesting. My mistake was that i didn't record the person playing (I left my phone in the car) so I could share it with you for a better explanation.

I immediately went home and started searching all the good players on the net that play this jazz/blues/R&B fusion, like Robben Ford, Marc Lucas from N'Stuff etc. These guys play great solo stuff by combining lead and rhythm, but it really lacks that driving syncopated groover. So I have yet to find a player who seems to do this style. I was hoping you could suggest some listening or links of players who excel and playing electric guitar alone and who play not the traditional jazz solo guitar.

Hope this is all making sense, quite desperate to learn a path to solo electric guitar that is funky and groovy.

Thank you

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe Charlie Hunter ?
    Or could I help you on the way of describe? At least its the closest I have played from your description:

User Info Menu

Very well done Mr. Steen. Bravo.

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffe Steen
    Maybe Charlie Hunter ?
    Or could I help you on the way of describe? At least its the closest I have played from your description:
    man, you're by far my favourite player on this forum.

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pondus
    Hi, so I know this is a jazz guitar forum, and this is not really about traditional jazz guitar, but more funky, R&B jazzy blues style guitar.

Yesterday, I went to a guitar store, and usually people who try out guitars assault your ears with a variety of boring blues cliches that are hard to listen to. But yesterday, this guy played amazing stuff, laying down funky chords and hinting a basic syncopated bassline and somehow managing to weave solo lines around this structure, not chord melody like jazz players to, but by switching lead and the basic chord bass line groove, all while maintaining a driving syncopation. Whether it was the solo lines or the rhythm, this syncopation was constant. Sorry this is hard to explain, but there is an approach to playing guitar that is very attractive, yet is seemingly impossible to find on youtube.

You either get solo guitar jazz style, strict swing or 4 to the floor, or just an endless array of notes where you loose track of the rhythm and the underlying progression. Or you get someone with a looper pedal, which to my mind destroys some of the natural charm of the guitar as a solo instrument.

Now this style may be based on a simple vamp with 2-3 chords, and lays down a foundation to solo "in and out of", where the listener is never lost to the groove and chords. Nothing complicated, but this particular player really used an array of inside and outside scales to keep it interesting. My mistake was that i didn't record the person playing (I left my phone in the car) so I could share it with you for a better explanation.

I immediately went home and started searching all the good players on the net that play this jazz/blues/R&B fusion, like Robben Ford, Marc Lucas from N'Stuff etc. These guys play great solo stuff by combining lead and rhythm, but it really lacks that driving syncopated groover. So I have yet to find a player who seems to do this style. I was hoping you could suggest some listening or links of players who excel and playing electric guitar alone and who play not the traditional jazz solo guitar.

Hope this is all making sense, quite desperate to learn a path to solo electric guitar that is funky and groovy.

Thank you
    you should have approached the guy and asked for a lesson.

maybe this helps?

https://www.youtube.com/user/crescentridge

Hi Uffe, you hit it on the nail. This is *exactly* what I had in mind. Thank you.

Why is so hard to find examples of this style of guitar online? Usually when people play solo electric, they fall into a set of either traditional blues or jazz, but rarely venture into more rhythmic styles.

Quote Originally Posted by dortmundjazzguitar
    you should have approached the guy and asked for a lesson.

maybe this helps?

https://www.youtube.com/user/crescentridge
    I went back to the music store to ask about him, and I was told he was visiting from out of town. Lost opportunity.

Cresentridge is great, but he's cheating. He is using a looper, which I can't attach to my acoustic when I'm sitting on my cottage dock hacking out a few grooves.

Uffe Steen just became my favourite new guitar player. I need some simple versions of what he does. He should do a course for Truefire.

User Info Menu

Pondus, you should definitely check out Charlie Hunter.

User Info Menu

Uffe, that was fantastic!

User Info Menu

Thanks Boston :-)
    Anyway, what CH does is out of this world :-)
    Cheers Uffe

User Info Menu

Uffe does simply have magical hands..

HB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dortmundjazzguitar
    man, you're by far my favourite player on this forum.

Oh yeah Uffe is by far the best player I've heard in a very, very long time and definitely my fave on the forum.

Why?......feel. So in the pocket. Emotion by the bucket load.

If you check YouTube for Mr Steen you will see what a monster player he is.

I'll go even further......in my view one of the best guitar players on the planet.

Brings me joy.

User Info Menu

my dear Uffe,
    if you're reading those last posts,please,don't make a stroke or an heart attack !

HB

User Info Menu

That performance was a thing of grace and beauty! Thank you for posting this. Now I'm off to YouTube to find more by Mr Steen!!

User Info Menu

That was so funky! Love it. That was my favorite one that you've done.

User Info Menu

Charlie Hunter is amazing. He developed a language for his instrument that is all his own. Playing bass and guitar all at once? He blows me away. And he seems to be getting better.

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Oh yeah Uffe is by far the best player I've heard in a very, very long time and definitely my fave on the forum.

Why?......feel. So in the pocket. Emotion by the bucket load.

If you check YouTube for Mr Steen you will see what a monster player he is.

I'll go even further......in my view one of the best guitar players on the planet.

Brings me joy.
    i think you nailed it. it invokes the same feeling i get listening to ted greene. makes me not want to become a better player but a better person

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uffe Steen
    O, man, that's good stuff. Thanks for posting that.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Feldman
    Charlie Hunter is amazing. He developed a language for his instrument that is all his own. Playing bass and guitar all at once? He blows me away. And he seems to be getting better.
    What a range! Thank you, Uffe!

I think I'm playing upside down guitar. Sure make it look easy...

User Info Menu

Very inspiring. I have some new things to think about and work on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pondus

Thank you
    Like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Eric Skye is a wicked cool guy.

I remember somewhere around 2004 I sent him an email saying how much I loved his album and aspired to play like him one day. I said I was saving as much spare cash as I could and would be buying his latest album as soon as I could (was just a kid). He mailed me a signed copy like the same day for free