The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 126

User Info Menu

Am I alone here: I have always found chord melody guitar to sound "clunky" and awkward. The time is often off as just grabbing a big chord tends to take precedence over the flow of the melody and also a chord under every note can just sound stiff. No disrespect to practitioners, it just leaves me cold.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I hate hearing a chord under every damn note. It absolutely breaks up the flow of the melody line. But on notes that are sustained, that's where I like to hear one or more chords happen...

User Info Menu

A lot of hate around here for solo guitar and chord melody. I think the guitar can be a wonderful instrument on its own. But I will agree that there is a huge amount of sloppy and or boring chord melody and solo guitar in the jazz realm. It's strange that so many supposedly good players lack the rhythm to make things interesting and feel good. But then again I am a fan and player of swing style acoustic plectrum style playing and rhythm is hugely important. Without it the excitement is gone IMO. But I also value the potential of the guitar as a solo instrument because I played piano for years and basically switched to guitar with the mentality that anything can be good if done right. Seems that most just can't get it right!

User Info Menu

You are not alone, no worries. I'm not a fan of chord melody style, for the reasons you mentioned mostly. Joe Pass inspired classical fingerstyle solo guitar- I zone out after a minute.

I can't stand rubato, often its just a cover up for lack of driving rhythm abilities. Also, a lot of those guitarists who specialized in chord melody are nightmare to play in a band with.

i do love some of it, like when John Scofield does it, but its not 'chord melody' in traditional sense.

Or if we are talking chord solos strumming, swing or dixie banjo style, I love those as well.

User Info Menu

I'll also add that I don't equate "chord melody" necessarily with "solo guitar". If done well, it still sounds great with bass and drums. Just don't put a chord under every damn note! (I think I'm repeating myself here... )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Am I alone here: I have always found chord melody guitar to sound "clunky" and awkward. The time is often off as just grabbing a big chord tends to take precedence over the flow of the melody and also a chord under every note can just sound stiff. No disrespect to practitioners, it just leaves me cold.
    I have needs in music that many don't share. When I listened, it is to get pumped up to a certain extent so I am do not spend a lot of time listening to slower music.

Chord Melody often does not have that drive that I am looking to get - the mini "high."

But when things get slow, and I am a little tired, there is nothing for me like a good song with some good piano (Bill Evans) or guitar chord work such as the song below:

User Info Menu

I love the space and breath in this. I know it's probably not your cup of tea, but this is my idea of the lyric line of a singer, the thoughtful note choice of Jim Hall and something very genuinely original.

It's something very much the new school in jazz guitar, people like Marc Ribot, Ben Monder, Mick Goodrick are doing a lot in very different directions exploring the possibilities. It's not Joe Pass.
    I find it inspiring
    David

User Info Menu

The only thing I dislike about "chord melody" is the term "chord melody."

I like the piano player's term: "playing the piano."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I like the piano player's term: "playing the piano."
    Which is not to say, the same thing as playing Piano. Unfortunately many guitarists I've played with can't play below Forte.
    Ha ha

David

User Info Menu

I love hearing it done well, but it's not really my cup of fur.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Which is not to say, the same thing as playing Piano. Unfortunately many guitarists I've played with can't play below Forte.
    Ha ha

David
    Easy to fix. Just put a chart in front of 'em.

User Info Menu

The only time I don't care for it is when someone thinks they're playing 'rubato' when what they're really doing is struggling to find the right chords.
    Last edited by Dana; 04-20-2016 at 03:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    I'll also add that I don't equate "chord melody" necessarily with "solo guitar". If done well, it still sounds great with bass and drums. Just don't put a chord under every damn note! (I think I'm repeating myself here… )
    That is exactly what I was going to write, definitely a big difference between CM and solo guitar. I wish I was a better solo player, just because it can't help but make you a better overall musician. Yes, I'm aware of exactly what "wishing" will get me without the dedicated practice. I can listen to a good solo guitar player for a 30 -45 minutes, I can listen to a good bass, drums and a guitar trio all day and into the night.

User Info Menu

dcharles,

Hate is a strong word, and I certainly didn't use it. I don't hate CM, I just don't love it, it (mostly) doesn't move me or make me want to play it. I don't listen to top 40 country or death metal but I don't hate it. I respect all the musicians and the fact that many people DO love it, but it's just not my cup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dana
    The only time I don't care for it is when someone thinks they're playing 'rubato' when what they're really doing is struggling to find the right chords.
    BUSTED! I am so ashamed.

User Info Menu

Dissenting voice: I like it when it's done well. I take the point about too much rubato, or when rubato becomes total breaks: "I'll noodle about and get back to the song in about 20 seconds."

User Info Menu

To me it only works when it's rhythmically strong -- i.e., Wes.

But the ability to punch a few chords into a solo is important, part of making your playing guitaristic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    dcharles,

Hate is a strong word, and I certainly didn't use it. I don't hate CM, I just don't love it, it (mostly) doesn't move me or make me want to play it. I don't listen to top 40 country or death metal but I don't hate it. I respect all the musicians and the fact that many people DO love it, but it's just not my cup.
    Certainly not accusing you personally, I'm just using the term jokingly. I see this topic pop up from time to time and I do agree with others that if not done right, it is not the most enjoyable thing to listen to. I think it shows the good old piano/sax divide among jazz guitar players. Some approach the instrument pianistically, some approach it like a sax. And a few even approach it like a guitar!

User Info Menu

I used to not care about it at all, but I do now. I remember Conti used to tell us that we'd get back to harmony when we were old. He was right.

CM is kind of like violin or bluegrass flatpicking: much more fun to play around with than to listen to, "played around with", by someone else.

And, yes, the term itself is problematic as well. Not a big fan of chord for every note .

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I love the space and breath in this. I know it's probably not your cup of tea, but this is my idea of the lyric line of a singer, the thoughtful note choice of Jim Hall and something very genuinely original.

It's something very much the new school in jazz guitar, people like Marc Ribot, Ben Monder, Mick Goodrick are doing a lot in very different directions exploring the possibilities. It's not Joe Pass.
    I find it inspiring
    David

I watch this and think "how small my world is, how little I know, how much I have to learn". This inspires me to expand my world by gaining that knowledge and experience. Just think about creating and communicating, and follow your own path - melody, restatement, development, harmony, improvisation and time are all toys for us to play with to make something our own.

So much can be said by 1 man and 1 guitar.
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 04-21-2016 at 02:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    I'll also add that I don't equate "chord melody" necessarily with "solo guitar". If done well, it still sounds great with bass and drums. Just don't put a chord under every damn note! (I think I'm repeating myself here...
    )

hmmm...what are you trying to say?

This is why piano players get in my way!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dcharles
    Certainly not accusing you personally, I'm just using the term jokingly. I see this topic pop up from time to time and I do agree with others that if not done right, it is not the most enjoyable thing to listen to. I think it shows the good old piano/sax divide among jazz guitar players. Some approach the instrument pianistically, some approach it like a sax. And a few even approach it like a guitar!
    So... What kind of playing IS still great even when it's not "done right?"

Doh...

User Info Menu

Ha ha

David
    that's why they print sheet music

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So... What kind of playing IS still great even when it's not "done right?"

Doh...
    Billie Holiday's singing on Lady in Satin, all of Chet Baker's recordings...

Isn't 'great' (here) about the effect on the listener?