The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 67 of 67
    Quote Originally Posted by fep
    A Modern Method For Guitar by William Levitt changed my right hand picking and improved my rest stroke technique which was conducive to playing chord melody with a pick. In addition the book has clever chord solo arrangements to learn from and to add ideas to ones tool box. I suggest you look into that book if you haven't already.

For example, here I am playing one of the exercises in that book:

It's definitely a CM rest stroke clinic. Great to see a Frank post, by the way! :-)
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 07-01-2018 at 07:56 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good job, just like JS, I'm a pick only guy too!!

User Info Menu

Gilad has a different jazz style than traditional players, but it's still solo guitar and he uses a pick

User Info Menu

Hybrid picking is cheating.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Hybrid picking is cheating.
    True, but most YT jazz fingerpickers don't have the coordination to make it sound good.

User Info Menu

I think Bucky P. uses only a pick for everything. Personally, I use a hybrid - pick and or fingers as needed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794-2.0
    True, but most YT jazz fingerpickers don't have the coordination to make it sound good.
    Not sure if I got that - did you mean they don't have the coordination to make hybrid picking sound good?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonDen
    Hello,
    Can chord melody be played solo with only a pick?
    Perhaps hybrid picking in some places.
    If yes, do you know of famous players that played chord melody with mostly pick only?
    It seems that all I find in chord melody is fingerstyle.
    I know I must learn chords first but I am trying to immerse myself in chord melody, at least listening for now
    since I will only play solo.
    Thanks,
    Ronald
    Yes. I use a pick all the time. I do use the hybrid picking technique. I feel that I have better control of the dynamics with a pick in my hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

tal farlow is ok at it

User Info Menu

Tal sounds great with a pick only!

User Info Menu

Here's a nice rendition of Autumn Leaves by pick...

User Info Menu

I've seen that blonde Tal is playing in that vid, but always been curious: what is that extra pickup right next to the neck pup, and how wired in?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

"Legends" Johnny Smith and George Van Eps solo guitar. Smith even manages to flatpick two classical pieces, Norteña by Gomez-Crespo and Romance de los Piños by Torroba.
    Brad

User Info Menu

I suggest checking Julian Lage solo stuff, he mostly uses a pick and he is amazing, so melodic and effrtless

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brad4d8
    "Legends" Johnny Smith and George Van Eps solo guitar. Smith even manages to flatpick two classical pieces, Norteña by Gomez-Crespo and Romance de los Piños by Torroba.
    Brad
    I have a pick Johnny Smith gave me at the old Band Box in Denver years ago, I was a regular there when he played solo gigs, the pick is a little thinner than most, maybe a .75 or so, it looks like Tortoise shell but probably just plastic.

User Info Menu

When Bucky P. was younger, in a duo with George Barnes, he played his Gretsch 7-string finger style. Looks like as he got older he went to pick-style more and more.

User Info Menu

Chord melody with a pick ?

Barney innit