The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

I would like to know your opinion about your favourite slow ballads to be rendered in the chord melody style.

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think any well-known ballad standard is going to sound good. But some may be easier to do than others. I've been messing about with Skylark (in Eb) for the practical standards, and it has some awkward spots in it.

Then again I think most tunes will contain a challenge in them somewhere, if you are trying to create a solo version.

Autumn in New York and Old Folks are a couple that I have done in the past. Old Folks was probably the first proper solo version I did of any tune. I mainly copied it from a version by Kenny Burrell (on the album Tin Tin Deo), which taught me a lot!

User Info Menu

I'm a bluesy guy, so "God Bless the Child" is among my favorite subjects for chord melody treatment. Here's Ted Greene doing it.

User Info Menu

all the ones mentioned so far are good chord melody tunes. I've never played Old Folks, but I play all the rest

I wanted to suggest Angel Eyes. that was one of the first ones I learned. Wes plays a classic version of it, which is why I always liked this one

User Info Menu

polkadots and moonbeams?

User Info Menu

When Sunny Gets Blue

That's All

The Nearness of You

User Info Menu

My favorites slow ones to do solo are Blue In Green, Nearness of You, and Goodbye.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Amazing textures...

Yeah. "Nearness of you" is always great. Also, for simplicity's sake, "I got it bad and that ain't good" is real doable and very nice.

User Info Menu

I think the tunes with frequent chord changes are easier to play chord melody style. I'll pick Body and Soul as a good one.

User Info Menu

Body and Soul sure is a good one...I need to play that one more often.

User Info Menu

In addition, to the ones mentioned above. I'd add Good Bye Pork Pie Hat and Alone Together, and I love some of the great movie tunes. I borrowed this musician's arrangement of the " The Summer Knows"

User Info Menu

Beautiful, Rob.

User Info Menu

'Round Midnight is one of my favorites

User Info Menu

'Misty' and 'My Romance'

destinytot Guest
    Then there are tunes that are most often played as 'burners' but whose lyrics say 'ballad', eg. Just Friends or This Time The Dream's On Me.

User Info Menu

Moonlight in Vermont is a good one, IMHO.

User Info Menu

But Beautiful.

User Info Menu

"Green Dolphin St." where the 1st chord is C major. Lays easily on the fingerbd. Often played briskly, but worth playing slowly.

User Info Menu

Here's That Rainy Day.

User Info Menu

Here's That Rainy Day.

User Info Menu

Since I have trouble playing fast, slow ballads are a big deal for me! I especially enjoy these:

Misty
    In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning
    Body and Soul
    How Insensitive
    Embraceable You
    Here's That Rainy Day
    Moon River
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Unforgettable
    When you Wish Upon A Star

User Info Menu

+2 for Misty. Such a beautiful song.

User Info Menu

Lawson - Good list. Working today on The End of a Love Affair, This Is All I Ask, and Here's That Rainy Day.