The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Yes, I have been there for sure!

I have always wanted my first arangement to be perfect... which has lead me to not finishing anyone, and going from one tune to another without any focus.

When Conti´s book arrives, I will start a thread on it, like a kind of diary... from beginners perspective. Question for the mods, should I open it under this Chord-Melody subforum, or under Beginners?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, I have been there for sure!

I have always wanted my first arangement to be perfect... which has lead me to not finishing anyone, and going from one tune to another without any focus.

When Conti´s book arrives, I will start a thread on it, like a kind of diary... from my beginners perspective. Question for the mods, should I open it under this Chord-Melody subforum, or under Getting Started?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Al Br.
    A question I have is, in a given chord grouping what determines the chords chosen? In the C major group the first chord is a C6. Why not C11, C6/9 or C7b9, all of which have the note C as the high note of the chord? What is the guideline for choosing what chord to play on a given scale note?
    The first chord is C6 because that's the lowest fretted note on the B string. The next voicing puts the next note on the B string (D) on top, and then E.

There are a few voicings with the top note on the G string but most put the top note on the B or E string and you have to work with what's available in the position you are. If you play a C at the 8th fret (low E string) the lowest note in the B string in that position is G, then A. Then you get B either higher up the B string or further back on the high E, followed by C, D, and E.

User Info Menu

What Goethe said.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now

The lead-in to that oft-cited quote is worth pondering.

>>>>“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back — concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans:

that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Quote Originally Posted by eduardosanz
    You have nailed it perfectly (I mean for me).

I think I am too worried about learning theory (which I have done quite a bit I feel), but I can´t play at all...
    I have just ordered Conti´s Assembly Line and I will try to be focused on it and only on it. It really seems to be the approach I need ... less theory analysis and more time on the fretboard.

Thanks a lot for your insight and input!
    Yeah, theory and analysis are fine. I HAVE to understand what I'm doing. But you can analyze before, during or after the process of practicing/playing. It just shouldn't stop you from playing in the first place, whether it's Conti, Warnock, or whatever. Seriously, check out both.

User Info Menu

I have checked Matt Warnock approach and I like it. When my Conti´s copy arrives to Spain I´ll take a look at it and then I will choose which approach to follow. but I really feel I need to focus on just ONE thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    What Goethe said.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now

The lead-in to that oft-cited quote is worth pondering.

>>>>“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back — concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans:

that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."
    Another pertinent Göthe quote, i think especially in this context:
    "In der Beschränkung macht sich erst der Meister."

My loose but "Göthe-esque" translation:
    "In limitation best, is the Master manifest."