The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 199 of 199

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Really enjoyed that - particularly the 'pretty' lines and double-time feel in the middle section.
    Thankyou very much Mike! I must do some more solo stuff, it's a lot of fun working these things out.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Jay, thank you for the kind words and for your thoughts generally as well. Good post . Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Lyrical, like Chet Baker - but advantaged by the guitar's capacity for chords/harmony!
    Thanks Mike - it's perceptive of you to say that (and greatly appreciated) - Chet Baker has been a massive influence on me. Just the way his lines are so melodic and unfussy, and beautifully poised. I've listened to so much of his stuff over the years that I can hear very 'Chet-like' lines in my head whenever I think about it.

Whenever I'm undecided exactly how to phrase something, I often imagine how Chet might have played it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit

I don't know if there is a Heaven, or whether if there is, they admit the fallen like me. ...
    Well Jay if only the un-fallen go to heaven, it's going to be a place with a lot of vacancies. Heaven is, I think, for those who keep their compass pointed that way, even if they might stray onto the wrong road sometimes.

You've made a very heart-felt, transparent statement here. I regret also my harshness and testiness, and think this thread has been a rarity in the annals of internet conversations. It got off track, got harsh, and then got turned back and even transposed to a completely fresh level because the folks involved just decided to reach higher.

That includes you. Forgiveness, grace, isn't just an act, it's ultimately the air we breathe, the water we swim in.

User Info Menu

Nice post, Jay. I can appreciate what you're saying there.

I may have disagreed with you on some things, I've probably 'pulled your leg' (as we Brits say), probably a bit too unkindly at times. But I always felt you were someone who really loves music and that's the important thing. And you've always been so appreciative of my playing, that means a great deal to me.

I sometimes think everyone here is like those folks inside the wagon-circle in the old Westerns. We are the ones who love music, jazz, guitar. We're on the same side really, despite disagreements or arguments. The real enemy is something that's going on outside the wagon-circle, whatever it might be.

(Oooh, you've made me go all philosophical!)

User Info Menu

I have found a new tune I want to try solo-guitar: "If I Only Had a Brain."

Not a commentary on anything, btw, but while I was shaving this morning, enjoying a particularly finely honed 70 year old straight razor, I was listening to jazzradio.com's jazz guitar channel, and James Chirillo came on playing this tune. It has a straight-up AABA structure and sounds like it could be fun to do. Plus it's familiar to people, has a little implied humor, and could be a set-freshening change of pace.

I will be back with thoughts after I've experimented with it a bit.

User Info Menu

Thanks to all for the kind words.

But I just spent hours putting together an audio video with some photos created with a version of Windows Movie Maker. Drives me a bit crazy. I had recorded some tunes last night - My Foolish Heart and Over the Rainbow - as just a simple guitar plus vocal track - live. No dynamics, no Autotune, no reverb other than the room - my studio (living room). So I created this project video with the intention to edit it with a better recording. As an aging old fa...gent..., I can't see print without my pair of classy CVS close vision glasses. But even with those it is a struggle to read the print of the lyrics. So I messed up a bit and even repeated a phrase in part because I couldn't see the page well. So many excuses, but the truth.

So what do you think? Should I put up this 'imperfect' video on YT? My intention had been to figure out and load up the pictures and then re -record the tune during daylight, which helps my vision quite a bit. But I guess I finalized the project, not realizing I apparently cannot re-edit to substitute a better take. (...sigh...) I don't know what I'm worried about - after all, it's not like I'm Kanye and anyone is likely to Tweet the news on the deformed video. It is just a work tape recorded on my Tascam DR-05.

Now that I have figured out at least partly how to use that Movie Maker program, I will quickly do another with Over the Rainbow and I think Days of Wine and Roses, as an instrumental this last one. But should I put up this Frankenstein monster of a video I did anyway? I suppose I could always take it down and replace it later.
    Last edited by targuit; 02-26-2016 at 02:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd say put one up. You've seen what I post, it's far from being without flaws or gaffs. On one I even inserted my own heckling text boxes!

Most of us on this thread anyhow are struggling to play even at an intermediate level and everybody seems very gracious about our efforts. Advice and counsel are given, but it's always positive and helpful.

You have to decide what you want to do, of course. But I genuinely just enjoy seeing others' playing when I've had conversations with them, it adds to my sense of what they're like, who they are, etc.

We're all in this together, you know?

And I give anybody an extra dose of credit for singing. I can sing, and do sing at home, being an old coffee-house refugee from the folkie-hippie era; but I've never had the courage to try to sing jazz tunes. My wife likes to hear me sing "Wee Small Hours" but that's about it.

You can always take something down and replace it with something that's better down the road.

Here's a clip of "out-takes" I did on another thread where we were trying to learn a Jimmy Raney solo and posting our work each week. We all posted these pretty nice clips, you know, but I decided to pull the curtain back:

User Info Menu

Thanks, Lawson.

For someone with a perfectionist streak, perfect can be the enemy of the good. And I appreciate your good humor. My personality is complex. ADHD causes one to procrastinate. Having to do my taxes this year for my son's financial aid applications made it the first time I have filed ahead of April 15th in the years I have filed as a taxpayer. Not something I'm proud of. Just the facts. Curiously or perhaps significantly, two of my original songs were written in a deadline situation where I had no choice. What the heck? I can always take 'em down.

This last week or two has been so positive in many respects. I am grateful for that. It is not easy to leave your profession behind - economically and psychologically. But I will survive that. We all have our foibles. Let it all hang out.

User Info Menu

I just posted in "Songs" a basic treatment of "Body and Soul" for solo guitar. I'll post it here too since we're talking along the lines of arranging for solo guitar. This is my NEW 1999 ES165 "Herb Ellis" recently purchased from Joe DeNisco, who cares for guitars better than most people care for children.

At about 1:10 or so there is some static that I can't figure out where it came from. Sorry about that!

Comments, advice, counsel are of course welcome.

User Info Menu

Hi!
    listen to my last original composition "Magritte"

cheers
    HB
    PS
    you do have such a beautiful name!" Lawson-Stone"

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'd say put one up. You've seen what I post, it's far from being without flaws or gaffs. On one I even inserted my own heckling text boxes!

Most of us on this thread anyhow are struggling to play even at an intermediate level and everybody seems very gracious about our efforts. Advice and counsel are given, but it's always positive and helpful.

You have to decide what you want to do, of course. But I genuinely just enjoy seeing others' playing when I've had conversations with them, it adds to my sense of what they're like, who they are, etc.

We're all in this together, you know?

And I give anybody an extra dose of credit for singing. I can sing, and do sing at home, being an old coffee-house refugee from the folkie-hippie era; but I've never had the courage to try to sing jazz tunes. My wife likes to hear me sing "Wee Small Hours" but that's about it.

You can always take something down and replace it with something that's better down the road.

Here's a clip of "out-takes" I did on another thread where we were trying to learn a Jimmy Raney solo and posting our work each week. We all posted these pretty nice clips, you know, but I decided to pull the curtain back:

This is hilarious - nicely done!

User Info Menu

Another take on Body and Soul by Howard Morgen himself:

User Info Menu

Mine is coming today. I have to wait for my family to wake up and get going before I rerecord a tune or two in my living room. My perfectionist streak is a bear - I just couldn't leave the recording I made as such. But the hardest part for me - dealing with Windows Movie Maker 2.6 (I think) - is done, so I just need to get a better recording without repeating a measure in the middle due to my lousy close vision and paste the song into the video. Now that I've got the hang of it, I will try to put up a couple. The video itself is the typical slideshow - hope the sunsets look nice or at least better than I do. I'm going to put up one of Body and Soul myself, too.

This is Penthouse Serenade.

Pretty straight, cheesy, old tune. Tons of quarter-note triplets. A few years I stumbled upon something, while playing this, that taught me a lot about phrasing, and which really helped with everything else I played afterwords. The second two videos are me just kind of practicing this as an etude for 8th note triplets. I did it with a click for the sake of clarity, though I don't usually use one.
    Anyway, you can use the triplet pattern to kind of move the beat around and mess with the phrasing. This is especially easy to do with this bridge because it's all straight quarter notes. Pretty fun exercise. Not sure the written description makes a lot of sense, but I always find this interesting. Easily amused I guess... :-)

This second video is just a subdivision exercise. Straight Triplet play-thru of bridge with click. It opens with quarter-note triplets. For that section, I'm playing 2 eighth-note triplets for each quarter-note triplet. (So, there is an 8th-note triplet between between each melody note).

Later, when the melody goes to "regular" quarter-notes, I'm also playing three 8th-note triplets for each quarter note. So, the least common denominator throughout is the 8th-note triplet.

Here, I play the bridge straight once, and then "sub" quarter note triplets for the regular quarter notes. The first iteration begins with melody note on the beat. Then next begins with the thumb on the beat, displacing the melody note by one 8th-note triplet. I, then, move it around in various other ways on repeats. Triplet as reference for phrasing variations:
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-28-2016 at 07:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing there... I like the displacement ideas as well... I don't finger pick much, but I could have a bash at that with flat picking....

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Beautiful playing there... I like the displacement ideas as well... I don't finger pick much, but I could have a bash at that with flat picking....
    Thanks, Christian.

I've done it mostly with flatpicking in recent months, though I used to barely use a pick. You can do the same kinds of things with pick direction really. I do all down up with (8th note) triplets when going for this sound. Direction doesn't matter as much I guess, especially when you get off the beat more. But for me, the quarter note triplet, becomes analogous to a "regular quarter note" in "regular time" there, with the "offbeat" upstrokes in between ( whether I'm actually picking them or not). Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-28-2016 at 10:27 AM.

User Info Menu

I think I am finally mastering Windows Live Movie Maker. The guitar - perhaps another thing altogether.

So here is my first video in a long time replete with photos from a family member.

Estate, the beautiful song by Bruno Martino as recorded for posterity in my living room yesterday and up on YouTube this Sunday morning. Tascam DR-05 digital recorder. Yamaha classical guitar I bought in Italy in the early Eighties. No dynamics or other processing. Just the raw recording.

Criticism and comments welcomed in good spirit. Thank for bearing with me. My son and wife suggest that is not easy...

Nice, Jay. Never could roll those R's like that. ;-) Always glad to hear your playing (and singing).

Gotta run. Full day. I'll check back in later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    I think I am finally mastering Windows Live Movie Maker. The guitar - perhaps another thing altogether.

So here is my first video in a long time replete with photos from a family member.

Estate, the beautiful song by Bruno Martino as recorded for posterity in my living room yesterday and up on YouTube this Sunday morning. Tascam DR-05 digital recorder. Yamaha classical guitar I bought in Italy in the early Eighties. No dynamics or other processing. Just the raw recording.

Criticism and comments welcomed in good spirit. Thank for bearing with me. My son and wife suggest that is not easy...

This is how you should be playing. Sounds excellent.

No cheesy percussion, no over dubbed "lead" guitar stomping on your vocals, no "hey wait I thought there was only one guy up there" harmonies.

Raw suits you. Do more recording!

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys!

I intend to do just that, though I may soon run out of sunsets.... The photos I mean hopefully.

User Info Menu

As regards harmony, something a bit weird sounds at around 1.26 in the video where I think I hear another voice, though maybe it is just a brief artifact. This was just a single take no editing or processing. Hmmmm...

User Info Menu

For the OP, here's a chart of the chord voicings I used in that 'Wee Small Hours' video I posted. I wanted to re-learn it, so I worked it out from my own video (!).
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    For the OP, here's a chart of the chord voicings I used in that 'Wee Small Hours' video I posted. I wanted to re-learn it, so I worked it out from my own video (!).
    Thanks a lot. Thats cool.