Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 201 to 209 of 209
  1. #201

    User Info Menu

    Beautiful playing there... I like the displacement ideas as well... I don't finger pick much, but I could have a bash at that with flat picking....

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Beautiful playing there... I like the displacement ideas as well... I don't finger pick much, but I could have a bash at that with flat picking....
    Thanks, Christian.

    I've done it mostly with flatpicking in recent months, though I used to barely use a pick. You can do the same kinds of things with pick direction really. I do all down up with (8th note) triplets when going for this sound. Direction doesn't matter as much I guess, especially when you get off the beat more. But for me, the quarter note triplet, becomes analogous to a "regular quarter note" in "regular time" there, with the "offbeat" upstrokes in between ( whether I'm actually picking them or not). Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-28-2016 at 10:27 AM.

  4. #203

    User Info Menu

    I think I am finally mastering Windows Live Movie Maker. The guitar - perhaps another thing altogether.

    So here is my first video in a long time replete with photos from a family member.

    Estate, the beautiful song by Bruno Martino as recorded for posterity in my living room yesterday and up on YouTube this Sunday morning. Tascam DR-05 digital recorder. Yamaha classical guitar I bought in Italy in the early Eighties. No dynamics or other processing. Just the raw recording.

    Criticism and comments welcomed in good spirit. Thank for bearing with me. My son and wife suggest that is not easy...


  5. #204
    Nice, Jay. Never could roll those R's like that. ;-) Always glad to hear your playing (and singing).

    Gotta run. Full day. I'll check back in later.

  6. #205

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by targuit View Post
    I think I am finally mastering Windows Live Movie Maker. The guitar - perhaps another thing altogether.

    So here is my first video in a long time replete with photos from a family member.

    Estate, the beautiful song by Bruno Martino as recorded for posterity in my living room yesterday and up on YouTube this Sunday morning. Tascam DR-05 digital recorder. Yamaha classical guitar I bought in Italy in the early Eighties. No dynamics or other processing. Just the raw recording.

    Criticism and comments welcomed in good spirit. Thank for bearing with me. My son and wife suggest that is not easy...

    This is how you should be playing. Sounds excellent.

    No cheesy percussion, no over dubbed "lead" guitar stomping on your vocals, no "hey wait I thought there was only one guy up there" harmonies.

    Raw suits you. Do more recording!
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

    "Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

    --The Ghost of Duke Ellington

  7. #206

    User Info Menu

    Thanks, guys!

    I intend to do just that, though I may soon run out of sunsets.... The photos I mean hopefully.

  8. #207

    User Info Menu

    As regards harmony, something a bit weird sounds at around 1.26 in the video where I think I hear another voice, though maybe it is just a brief artifact. This was just a single take no editing or processing. Hmmmm...

  9. #208

    User Info Menu

    For the OP, here's a chart of the chord voicings I used in that 'Wee Small Hours' video I posted. I wanted to re-learn it, so I worked it out from my own video (!).
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #209

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    For the OP, here's a chart of the chord voicings I used in that 'Wee Small Hours' video I posted. I wanted to re-learn it, so I worked it out from my own video (!).
    Thanks a lot. Thats cool.