The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 199

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Hi, Lawson!

I'm pretty content, as I recorded versions of Georgia On My Mind and Alfie tonight. The format I recorded was three tracks - rhythm guitar, vocal, and 'lead' guitar. I did Georgia first and Alfie last. I like them both.

You must understand that the path of overdubbing yourself is not easy. But tonight despite the difficult I was reasonably content with the outcome, especially Alfie.

As I said, it is easier for me to record than to post videos. However, these will go up. But I am not as tech proficient as you are. Ironically, I once posted a request for help with posting videos. The silence was deafening . I still use my cell phone as ....wait for it ... a phone primarily. But I aspire to a better level of artistry than a cell phone video.

Don't fret, Lawson. I will post these recordings very soon. Within the limitations of overdubbing oneself I will leave it to you to judge.

Here - I've given you an assignment. Post your videos of Alfie and Georgia. That is only fair, no?. LOL....
    I use my phone all the time for recording, as I'm away from home, it takes two seconds, and very little time to upload.

I'm not sure people are looking for a polished bit of music they are just excited to hear you play.

The most enjoyment I get is HEARING all this and watching everyone improve. This includes myself.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, Lawson!

I'm pretty content, as I recorded versions of Georgia On My Mind and Alfie tonight. The format I recorded was three tracks - rhythm guitar, vocal, and 'lead' guitar. I did Georgia first and Alfie last. I like them both.

You must understand that the path of overdubbing yourself is not easy. But tonight despite the difficult I was reasonably content with the outcome, especially Alfie.

As I said, it is easier for me to record than to post videos. However, these will go up. But I am not as tech proficient as you are. Ironically, I once posted a request for help with posting videos. The silence was deafening . I still use my cell phone as ....wait for it ... a phone primarily. But I aspire to a better level of artistry than a cell phone video.

Don't fret, Lawson. I will post these recordings very soon. Within the limitations of overdubbing oneself I will leave it to you to judge.

Here - I've given you an assignment. Post your videos of Alfie and Georgia. That is only fair, no?. LOL....
    To post a video (I'm assuming you don't have a smart phone, I don't either):

1) make your video. Just about any video format is accepted by YouTube these days. Put it on your computer.
    2) upload it to YouTube. (There is an Upload option when you are logged in to your YouTube account. From here, browse on your computer to wherever you put the video file).
    3) once it's up on you tube, click the 'share' button underneath it on the YouTube page, this will give you the link. Copy and paste this link into your post on this forum.

Simple.

User Info Menu

Hi, Lawson!

Jay,
    You don't give me or anyone "assignments." I don't want to learn Alfie or Georgia. I'm working on other tunes. I'm not interested in recording my vocals, though I enjoy singing when no harm will come to hearers in my vicinity! Neither I nor anyone else have asked you to do anything except back up what you preach and lecture to us about and illustrate it. If it's stuff that's part and parcel of your musical life, it should be easy to pop 3 minutes of it up there to show us what you're talking.

I imagine the reason nobody much replied to the request for help is that this is a jazz guitar forum, not a basic internet education forum. Posting files to public servers and posting links to them on a forum is a basic skill, kind of like reading music or tuning a guitar. If someone posted "How do I tune my guitar" likely few would respond.

I am trying my best to avoid thinking of a phrase my friends from Texas use a lot: "All hat and no cattle."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Yes you can do that. Have a look at this example I did a while back. It's a harmonization of the first few bars of My Romance using the Barry Harris method.
    This is great--very useful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dingusmingus
    This is great--very useful!
    There was more stuff in the original document, hopefully you can see it here:

Barry Harris chord movements - My Romance

User Info Menu

Graham - I appreciate what you suggest. I do not have a camcorder or camera that has a good video capability. But last night I recorded both Georgia On My Mind and Alfie. I am reasonably content with both. I will have two goals today - one to upload the financial aid documents for my son's college applications and two to upload a couple of videos to Youtube as expeditiously as possible. I'll leave it to any reasonable person to determine which task has the priority.

Lawson - It is quite apparent that what is 'good for the goose' seems not to apply to the gander. I spent the past thirty years taking care of people in medicine, not whiling away my time on computers. I apologize to you for my lack of tech savvy and fancy gadgets, which as a doctor in the US today after years of price fixing by the Federal and State government and rapacious health insurance executives screwing physicians and patients, I cannot afford. (Of course, the pat line is that 'all doctors are rich' - LOL!) But that is another issue.

I neglected to mention as well that my brilliant son as a teenager also tends to monopolize the home computer with iTunes which I use to convert the files. I am on a Macbook now which, hard to believe I know, does not have iTunes loaded, as I used it for business. I am sure I can find some way to get my videos up. I have done it in the past.

Your comments about "all hat, no cowboy" will be embarrassing in the end, but not to me. I would suggest you contain your comments until I have the opportunity to post, which will be soon. Whether you like my playing or not will not be up to me, but whether I can play competently will be quite obvious.

Funny, I thought that a healthy measure of civility and mutual respect had been restored on the forum. Apparently not. That includes former mean spirited comments by moderators as well as some obstinate posters. None of whom seem to have distinguished themselves in music. More's the pity.
    Last edited by targuit; 02-21-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Your comments about "all hat, no cowboy" will be embarrassing in the end, but not to me. I would suggest you contain your comments until I have the opportunity to post, which will be soon. Whether you like my playing or not will not be up to me, but whether I can play competently will be quite obvious.

Funny, I thought that a healthy measure of civility and mutual respect had been restored on the forum. Apparently not. That includes former mean spirited comments by moderators as well as some obstinate posters. None of whom seem to have distinguished themselves in music. More's the pity.
    I think you would have done well to end your post right before the quoted part above. In fairness you have been saying "soon" for about four years, Jay. Just leave it at the not being good with technology, and don't at all the rest.

That you will undoubtedly "show us" soon doesn't change the fact that you, to date, have done more talking than playing. That's not an assassination of your character. Just a fact. There's really no reason to take offense at it.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-21-2016 at 10:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Lawson -

Since you are so skeptical of my ability (and I am not claiming to be the next "Joe Pass" though I can play much of his repertoire), perhaps you would inform us of which songs you are working on. Shame that you don't care for Alfie. Burt Bacharach, an esteemed composer in most musicians' eyes, deemed that song perhaps the finest of his works and that of Hal David, the brilliant lyricist. I tend to agree with Burt's assessment. It is a beautiful and challenging song. Perhaps you will give the lyrics some serious listening.

Georgia On My Mind is usually a staple in the repertoire of jazz musicians, even if it is not Giant Steps with its vast audience. Written by a fellow by the name of Hoagy Carmichael.

I am not a preacher nor a troll. I have composed some songs that perhaps you have not heard. One was a song I wrote in jest one morning at the breakfast table to entertain my son back in 2009 or so when Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme costing investors billions of dollars was finally uncovered after decades of incompetence on the part of the SEC and banks. Funny who the real fraudsters turn out to be, isn't it?

Another was a song I wrote in 48 hours trying to make a deadline for a songwriting competition. It is called My Destiny. Although I'm rather proud of the lyrics and melody, I would like to re-record it in a more stripped down version. Another original again written to a tight deadline of a couple of days for another competition is a tune called City Lights - it is unusual in that it is a New Orleans style blues in which I play all the parts on my Roland GR-20 guitar synth. The only part I did not play myself on the guitar through the synth is the percussion Korg track. Due to the lack of time for editing it is too busy a tune - needed some serious editing - but the funniest thing is that when it was up on my YT site, one bright light complained "but where is the guitar? I don't hear it!" Perhaps it was one of our moderators here.

But if you would like, I can once again post a link to my lonely Sound Click site - Jay Dreams. Interestingly they suggested that both tunes did rather well in their individual categories. I am a bit skeptical of rankings on these sites. I bet they tell everyone that their songs made better than top Twenty at one point.

Edit - In the links I subsequently posted to my Soundclick originals (two), they actually had it as high as two or three in their Blues category. Out of several thousands. Don't know if the rating are real. But even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Actually two for two....
    Last edited by targuit; 02-21-2016 at 11:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Matt - I simply speak what I perceive to be the truth. Sometimes it hurts. I recall many insults directed to me personally. Or is that a fabrication of my mind? One moderator called me a fraud and other terms. Of course, my songs were not on the level of his creativity.

Did you ever listen to the links I posted for Sound Click? I'll see if I can repost them. Please listen with headphones as I hate the tinny sound of computer speakers.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10064955

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10065052
    Last edited by targuit; 02-21-2016 at 11:24 AM.

User Info Menu

So where have all the cowboys gone?
    Long time passing.
    Where have all the cowboys gone?
    Long time ago.
    Where have all the cowboys gone?
    Gone to church every one.
    When will they ever learn?
    When will they ever learn?

User Info Menu

Matt - I simply speak what I perceive to be the truth. Sometimes it hurts. I recall many insults directed to me personally. Or is that a fabrication of my mind? One moderator called me a fraud and other terms. Of course, my songs were not on the level of his creativity.

Did you ever listen to the links I posted for Sound Click? I'll see if I can repost them. Please listen with headphones as I hate the tinny sound of computer speakers.

Thanks Jay,

I think that's all people wanted, we can now get a much better idea of where you are at with your development as a musician.

Keep em coming!

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot grahambop. That was great

That's cool. We've heard them. Thank you for posting them. If you posted some of the jazz standards you're always commenting on, it would help . It's not a big deal really. But if you want them to leave you alone about it, there is a point to be made that you talk about it and don't post them. Meanwhile, you challenge everyone on the forum to post something of a solo arrangement of specific jazz standards in a combative way.

No one is making you do that. Whatever makes you happy. I'm happy to hear you play whatever.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-21-2016 at 02:21 PM.

User Info Menu

No, actually I was hoping to hear some of your original music. But I will not malign you if you cannot produce it on demand or to accommodate my mood. I would point out that the blues tune I wrote and played entirely via the synth, which has latency issues, is an original.

And I don't recall "challenging" anyone beyond suggesting that if my opinions need to be backed up by tangible musical product, I don't know why yours or anyone else here should not be held to the same standard. At least I do deliver once in a while....

User Info Menu

No, actually I was hoping to hear some of your original music. But I will not malign you if you cannot produce it on demand or to accommodate my mood. I would point out that the blues tune I wrote and played entirely via the synth, which has latency issues, is an original.

And I don't recall "challenging" anyone beyond suggesting that if my opinions need to be backed up by tangible musical product, I don't know why yours or anyone else here should not be held to the same standard. At least I do deliver once in a while....
    Matt and Lawson have posted loads of videos playing jazz guitar, in various threads. You have posted one! They've got nothing to prove.

Okay, Jay. I have posted crap phone versions of standards a couple times in the last month or two. Very rough , humbling stuff. Lawson posts stuff as well. You challenged reg to post specific things, and he has actually taken the time to do so. You challenged Lawson to post Georgia, in this very thread, I think, didn't you?

Anyway, it would be a lot more sensible for you to post something FIRST, if you are going to challenge people. I've got a crap version of Georgia posted in a Georgia practical standards thread here somewhere. It's complete with vocals in a bad key and solo guitar, as you always require, even though I didn't originally do it for YOUR sake. For the record, I have , in the past, upon your specific challenge, posted a solo version of a tune , before you did. It's your turn.

Name the tune and you post it FIRST. there's no need to talk about how embarrassed we're going to be when we see you're playing. That's just obnoxious and not flattering to yourself. Please stop, for YOUR sake . I will post my best amateur version of anything you suggest. I like posting things occasionally. It keeps me humble, and from talking to highly of myself. It's a good spiritual exercise as well as revealing things about myself musically.

I don't think I'm sandbagging or being too self-deprecating to say that I am an amateur and student in Jazz . There's nothing wrong with admitting where you are.

It would also be respectful to start another thread on this topic. Jay, your track record of the derailing threads and making them about yourself is not great.

User Info Menu

Matt -

There is no way to appease you. No way.

Let me tell you something very clearly. I don't like to post crap. And what I recorded last night will be up ASAP.

Great. I never requested for you to play anything in this thread. I'm not dissatisfied. I simply commented on why there is some validity to what was said and how you might think about the way you talk about these things.

Regarding posting crap, whatever.....

You haven't posted ANYTHING, crap or otherwise, since "out of nowhere", however many months ago that was . Is that one still up? I don't really know. In the meantime, you have challenged countless individuals on this forum to post their own playing of pieces, which you choose, under very specific guidelines. You challenge and say that you will post something as well. And then, nothing. Whatever.

I don't care what you post, Jay. I'm not demanding that you post anything. If you read this kind of statement as a demand that you post something, you are misunderstanding. I don't care.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-21-2016 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

This thread was about "chord melody." Did I ever mention how stupid i think that term is?

Anyway, if we're going to have a measuring contest, can we at least measure that? No vocals, no multi-tracking...just...chord melody.

Hey! Maybe we can make this educational...we're we to take a tune and describe our process...maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    This thread was about "chord melody." Did I ever mention how stupid i think that term is?

Anyway, if we're going to have a measuring contest, can we at least measure that? No vocals, no multi-tracking...just...chord melody.

Hey! Maybe we can make this educational...we're we to take a tune and describe our process...maybe?
    That's a great idea, actually.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eduardosanz
    Thanks a lot grahambop. That was great
    Thanks! I must do the rest of the tune sometime!

User Info Menu

I am really sorry for having open this thread....
    N

I just wanted to know some arranging mental process. Maybe now I got it...

Please close the thread, mod.

User Info Menu

No need to feel sorry. It's not a controversial topic, but this sort of thing happens at least once a month. Just read the the posts that help you and ignore the rest

User Info Menu

Eduardo. I made a suggestion a few posts back, I'll follow through on it. Hopefully we can get this thread on track and actually help.