Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

The poll winner for July is obviously "Poinciana". We have a Bossanova backing track this time, using a BIAB Realtracks contemporary trio. Have fun with this one, it is a good old standard.

wiz

backing track----->https://app.box.com/s/il8zw8hqlhaeydz1gn7ebffta5sc26ux

Lead sheet------>https://app.box.com/s/db6nth4a30mdu1lcxo3b3tnbwm62nam4

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm looking forward to hearing someone use the backing track. I'm struggling to hear how the melody fits over it. Any suggestions for a YouTube version that is similar?
    Thanks for posting this stuff, Howie. Though I rarely comment and still haven't come up with anything worth posting, I do work on the songs every month and I have learned a lot from them.

User Info Menu

Nice!

Here is Burton with Scofield on guitar:

User Info Menu

I see what you mean about that drumming Wow ! intresting tune... finding a chart strait ahead enough i can work from.... how this...
    July 2015 - Poinciana-july-stofmonth-jpg

i dont know why these 6 chords are such a challenge. maybe because i've never used them before lol working on the tune thou, and some grips on the chord shape... i got a ton of work and practice just to play something 1/2 as good as i see from you boyz..... again hows this chart?

User Info Menu

George Benson with Jorge Dalto:

User Info Menu

Yea many versions go to I- instead of IV- ...Amad and Benson.. Dmaj to D-, or in Howies chart... Bbmaj to Bb-. But Howies is an arrangement

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Player
    I see what you mean about that drumming Wow ! intresting tune... finding a chart strait ahead enough i can work from.... how this...
    July 2015 - Poinciana-july-stofmonth-jpg

i dont know why these 6 chords are such a challenge. maybe because i've never used them before lol working on the tune thou, and some grips on the chord shape... i got a ton of work and practice just to play something 1/2 as good as i see from you boyz..... again hows this chart?
    That chart looks fine to me - those are the same chords I'm using.

User Info Menu

How's everyone coming along with this one? I'm struggling as usual. I doubt I'll ever get any of these songs down solid enough to post but it's still fun to try.
    I really dig this version...

User Info Menu

I have been working on it, hoping to have a go at it this weekend.

I discovered that the Session Band app on my iPad has a 'Poinciana' style which sounds just like Ahmad Jamal's group, so it was a no-brainer to use that for the backing track!

User Info Menu

OK here's my version.

User Info Menu

wonderful! great lines, great tone and especially good chord melody improvisation. Sounds like a good, professional cut from an album.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

Thanks! I have been working on playing lines with chords recently, so I set myself the goal of doing one chorus as a chord solo. Still find it difficult though!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    OK here's my version.

Graham , your version sound better to me me than the Gary Burton & Friends rendition
    CD. very nice lines.
    Off thread can I ask your opinion on the time signature on Peter Bernstein's "Love for sale"
    from his Somethings Burning CD ? I must have cloth ears ! I can't get my head around it.

Cheers Alan

User Info Menu

Thanks! I won't tell Gary you said that!

Peter Bernstein sounds like triple time to me. I'm not sure if it's 3:4 or 6:8. A bit like 'My Favourite Things'.

User Info Menu

Thanks! I won't tell Gary you said that!

Peter Bernstein sounds like triple time to me. I'm not sure if it's 3:4 or 6:8. A bit like 'My Favourite Things'.

Ok , but you can tell Jon Scofield if you like LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Ok , but you can tell Jon Scofield if you like LOL
    Sco didn't even take a solo on it, did he? At least not on the versions I found on YouTube. A shame, I think he would have done something cool with it.

User Info Menu

Graham
    Yes you're right, I was thinking of "Japanese Waltz" probably !
    Sco is not melodic enough for my taste , but I'm probably in a
    minority with that.

User Info Menu

Recently came across this which is quite melodic (Alone Together):

User Info Menu

OK here's my version ...
    Nice, Graham. Always like your tone and you sound very relaxed.

User Info Menu

Thanks. By the way this was done on my Ibanez Artist solid. I'm always surprised how good a jazz tone I can get out of it. I nearly got rid of it once, glad now that I didn't!

User Info Menu

Thanks. By the way this was done on my Ibanez Artist solid. I'm always surprised how good a jazz tone I can get out of it. I nearly got rid of it once, glad now that I didn't!
    Well done! Love your tone, chord melody and your approach is always a good listen with excellent lines.

wiz

User Info Menu

fantastic post .TY for the chart..and WIZ for the backing.....just bought a yamaha NTX700C Nylon electro acoustic.........ill give this a whirl......

User Info Menu

My goal is to get one of these done in its designated month! (Sheesh ...) Anyway, here goes:

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...ciana%2001.mp3

User Info Menu

Excellent! nice chords in the head arrangement too. You've got very good time, that's something I'm always conscious I want to improve.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    My goal is to get one of these done in its designated month! (Sheesh ...) Anyway, here goes:

http://www.noiseinthebasement.com/mp...ciana%2001.mp3
    Nice arrangement with good chords, great improvisation, good groove and very professional sounding.

wiz

User Info Menu

Thanks, wiz!

Graham, I thought yours was your 175. You fooled me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Thanks, wiz!

Graham, I thought yours was your 175. You fooled me!
    Yes that Ibanez does a good job! The only trouble is that all the pots are getting really degraded (I've had the guitar since 1978!). I've just about managed to keep the neck pickup vol and tone pots going, by removing the back plate and flooding them with Servisol a few times. The bridge pickup is virtually unuseable because of the dead pots.

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order new pots. Unfortunately they are a rather obscure type and size that Ibanez used in the 1970s, but I have found one online source in the USA who stocks them.

At least this will be a much easier job than the 175 would be! All the controls are nicely accessible from behind when you remove the back plate.

User Info Menu

And here's mine:

Thanks,

Bill

User Info Menu

Excellent! nice chords in the head arrangement too. You've got very good time, that's something I'm always conscious I want to improve.
    Some time ago someone posted something Joe Pass where I said Joe's time was so good you could set up a metronome according to him. Well, M-Ster's time is in the same league, if not better. In moments it sounds like MIDI quantized to backing track. If time was something to steal, M-Ster would be robbed in no time.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Chris Whiteman; 04-17-2020 at 10:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Beautiful tune smoothly played. Haven't heard it in years. In the early 60s I played in a rock band and we played Poinciana usually in the last set.

Thanks for posting.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Hi Chris,
    Your rendition of Poinciana , perfectly executed and
    another fine performance . I was highly amused at the
    DJ ,Jamel AKA Jamal's take on Steely Dan featured in
    the insets of the video, perhaps he has been in hibernation
    having only just discovering them , 48 years after their formation ,one
    of the best Jazz /Rock orientated bands of the era, and still around , minus
    Walter Becker RIP. They played in London in 1974 and I saw them twice ,
    there are a lot of Jazz influences in their music, and clever lyrics.