Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Attached is the PDF of my first attempt at a chord-melody arrangement of a jazz standard. I basically went off the RealBook lead sheet and used my ear and a little chord theory to figure everything out. I took a little "artistic liberty" for the ending.

The mp3 will have to wait for a while (I'm busy prepping for a classical guitar exam this week, then I'll be out of town for a bit). I'll update this post with the recording when I make it (hopefully in the next 2 weeks). I can play it passably, but before I record I'll have to woodshed this tune a little bit. :-)

In the meantime, perhaps some of you could take a look and offer helpful criticism/advice. I suspect I'm approaching this in the more or less correct way, but I know I'm probably missing some finer points.

Thanks

Jeff

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

first one? i'd say you're on the right track.

my areas of critique would be to consider some substitutions to facilitate more voice leading in the chords, and move beyond the real book changes, especially on the dominants, which can be altered to get some more "color" in the sound. You might also consider the placement of the chords--sometimes throwing another inversion of the "chord of the moment" in the middle of a few of the longer melodic lines is a nice way to break things up.

overall, i'd say good job--keep it up.

User Info Menu

Great job! Thanks for posting.

MW

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    first one? i'd say you're on the right track.

my areas of critique would be to consider some substitutions to facilitate more voice leading in the chords, and move beyond the real book changes, especially on the dominants, which can be altered to get some more "color" in the sound. You might also consider the placement of the chords--sometimes throwing another inversion of the "chord of the moment" in the middle of a few of the longer melodic lines is a nice way to break things up.

overall, i'd say good job--keep it up.
    You're talking about tritone subs, right? (At least on the dominants)

I know what you mean about filling out the longer melodic lines. Particularly for this tune, which has a bunch of whole notes (and more), it became quite clear to me that while these lines work great for vocalists or horn players (who can sustain for a lot longer than guitarists can), on the guitar I'm going to have to come up with some techniques to maintain the melody line without it dying. That was the basic intent of my repeated melody notes in bars 6/7 and 17/18.

Onwards and upwards I guess. :-)

User Info Menu

right on. even if it's just "extending" them, as opposed to true subbing...anything of course, can be overdone.

i'm nitpicking really, just trying to give you some constructive criticism-- i think overall you did a good job.

User Info Menu

I should probably start listening to a bunch of the other submissions here for inspiration and ideas.

Thanks for your tips!

User Info Menu

yeah, there's a lot of good players on this board, and a lot of ways you can steal ideas from them!

i'll give you a link to my site where i have a bunch of chord melody recordings. i in no way claim to be a master of this style--but i love doing it and helping others get into it. check it out if you like:

ezFolk: Jeff matz

User Info Menu

Nice version of Misty. :-)

User Info Menu

Sibelius? Right?

The only thing I might suggest is to add more chords where you have eighths in the melody against 1/2 note harmony. Try a different inversion on beat 2 of the 1/2 note.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400 View Post
    Sibelius? Right?

The only thing I might suggest is to add more chords where you have eighths in the melody against 1/2 note harmony. Try a different inversion on beat 2 of the 1/2 note.
    OK, thanks for the tip. I think right now I'll leave that for when my hands get a little more dexterous. I'm still kind of stumbling along with what I've written! Adding more would be a train wreck!

User Info Menu

Looks good, listen to every one. Play what you like. Make some Chord subs if you like. Arpeggiate some chords add some Octaves just don't add so much shit people ask "What the hell was that" I've seen some good players add so mush nonsense in a song you couldn not find the melody if you tried. I've found playing for the general public (dinner parties) its best to keep it simple. If you want to go all out wait for the Jazz clubs. But that being said, if your gigging the best way to tell if you'll get invited back is if the Cash register is ringing. To put it bluntly your nothing more than a beer salesman.

User Info Menu

Love it.....Sailor