The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I have often read references to the Honeysuckle Bridge". I'm certain that it refers to the bridge for "Honeysuckle Rose".

Unfortunately, I don't have a chart. Can anyone please tell me what the chords are? Any key is fine.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's a great website with chord charts (though no melodies), as well as some contextual info, play-alongs, and video clips of great versions of various tunes:
    Learn Jazz Standards | Honeysuckle Rose

Hey Dingus,

Thanks so much for the information and the prompt response. I'll check it out!

Regards.

User Info Menu

You bet. Here's another cool website with great background on standards. As a website, it's clunky and outdated, but great info.
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Honeysuckle Rose)

Thanks again! BTW: I noted that I posted this inquiry in the wrong place. I should have posted it to Chords and Chord Progressions. Sorry for the error.

Regards.

User Info Menu

In case anyone finds this thread here, and is still looking for the answer, a "Honeysuckle" Bridge is a bridge of I7-IV-II7-V7, ala Honeysuckle Rose.

Here's a context where that might be used, "Changes to 'Jumpin' at the Woodside?' Oh, that's just 'Dinah' with a 'Honeysuckle' Bridge". Or, you could describe the changes any number of riff tunes as being "'Rhythm' changes with a 'Honeysuckle' bridge."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    In case anyone finds this thread here, and is still looking for the answer, a "Honeysuckle" Bridge is a bridge of I7-IV-II7-V7, ala Honeysuckle Rose.

Here's a context where that might be used, "Changes to 'Jumpin' at the Woodside?' Oh, that's just 'Dinah' with a 'Honeysuckle' Bridge". Or, you could describe the changes any number of riff tunes as being "'Rhythm' changes with a 'Honeysuckle' bridge."
    And there is also the Honeysuckle A section with the Rhythm bridge, as in Charlie Parker's "Scrapple from the Apple." (Not entirely on point here, I know, yet a tidbit worth filing away.)

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info. I downloaded a chart with the changes from the "Learn Jazz Standards" website recommended by DingusMingus.

With regard to the changes in the bridge, I am hearing a diminished change in there and this change is indicated in the chart.

User Info Menu

Honeysuckle Bridge is often called a Montgomery-Ward Bridge, and the one from I Got Rhythm is called a Sears-Roebuck. some educators still use these terms, although I always get them confused. I think it's easier to say Honeysuckle Bridge or Rhythm Bridge.

These bridges are used in literally hundreds or swing and bebop era tunes.

Incidentally, there are a few other common ones -
    - the Lady be Good bridge (VI7 - I - II7 -V7 - like a jumbled up Honeysuckle)
    - the Four and back bridge( IV7-I-IV7-I or IV iv I IV iv I - see Exactly Like You, Don't Get Around Much Any More etc)
    - the relative minor bridge (Like in Dinah - it goes to relative Minah! vi and then sits there for a bit before wending it's way back to I usually via a VI7-II7-V7 or something)
    - the iii minor bridge (like They Can't Take that Away, bit like the relative minor one but starts on iii minor instead)

By using this pool of standard bridges (and standard) A's, you can learn progressions for tunes really quickly. Of course there a lot of exceptions too, but it's great to know this stuff.
    Last edited by christianm77; 05-14-2015 at 11:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    And there is also the Honeysuckle A section with the Rhythm bridge, as in Charlie Parker's "Scrapple from the Apple." (Not entirely on point here, I know, yet a tidbit worth filing away.)
    Serpents Tooth is a Rhythm tune with a Honeysuckle bridge. As are half the records cut between 1936 and 1948 (or so it seems ;-))

Hi Christian,

WOW!! This is really great information. Thanks so much.

Regards.

Fred

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Honeysuckle Bridge is often called a Montgomery-Ward Bridge, and the one from I Got Rhythm is called a Sears-Roebuck. some educators still use these terms, although I was get them confused. I think it's easier to say Honeysuckle Bridge or Rhythm Bridge.
    I had heard that expression "Montgomery Ward Bridge," but I never knew what it meant.

I knew that Montgomery Ward was a department store---as was Sears-Roebuck, presently just Sears---and thought maybe those bridges were used in famous jingles for the stores, but I can't recall such jingles so I'm thinking it is for another reason. Which eludes me.

User Info Menu

When I play in a particular country band, I-IV-II7-V7 (and back to I) is called the "Sears and Roebuck" ending.

User Info Menu

I always thought the Sears-Roebuck or Montgomery-Ward slang meant "off the shelf" or "off the peg" if you get what I mean.

User Info Menu

Interesting bit of trivia: Montgomery in NY was originally named Ward's Bridge after George James Ward, a local mill operator who built the town's first bridge across the river to transport his grain.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    (Like in Dinah - it goes to relative Minah!
    Nice! I may never hear that tune the same way again. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    I always thought the Sears-Roebuck or Montgomery-Ward slang meant "off the shelf" or "off the peg" if you get what I mean.
    O, okay, what I grew up hearing called "off the rack."