The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 68 of 68

User Info Menu

Jim Soloway definitely uses fingerstyle-technique!

And there is a reason why George van Eps (who was the primary source for the book) switched to fingerstyle.

For playing it with a plectrum, I totally agree with Jeff.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, section 1 of the book states "many of the structures used will only be sounded properly if employing the fingers."

Perhaps it's only my false read that that excludes the thumb, ala Wes Montgomery...that's how I strum chords. If I play bossa nova's I use finger style. So perhaps I'm misreading the chord diagrams, and they're simply meant to emphasize finger style 'only' and no strumming.

User Info Menu

I think that's your answer.

As stated in the book's introduction, many of the shapes will not be sounded successfully with a pick. The method is primarily intended for finger style playing.....

User Info Menu

Based on two Amazon customer reviews and those posted by forum members have just ordered the paperback edition from Amazon. Nice to have something to work on coming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    book examples - seems very specific to me

Just as an FYI, 2b, with the D7+5, I was able to bend my fingertip enough to create enough space for the 5th string to remain muted while holding down the 1st, 4th, and 6th strings with the rest of my finger pad. But my finger had to be absolutely perfectly placed.

When I barre my finger, the joints are skinny and the portions while the pads are fat. I have to always push down really hard to flatten out my fingers and capture all the strings to nature gave me that space to work with.

So maybe the people that you saw who were able to stum have that little gap in between their fingers and the fretboard to work with?

Just a thought.

(I now just use my thumb, but it is not easy and I need to practice it more to cement the technique.)

User Info Menu

Harold,

This looks like a nice approach; just ordered a copy.

Best,

Ren

Thank you, sir. Here's hoping it's helpful; enjoy.

User Info Menu

Hi herkimer,

The paperback rendition of your book arrived yesterday and it is fantastic!

I play pedal steel guitar jazz in the chord-melody fashion and will use your book when building chords in the future.

Thank you, sir.

User Info Menu

Yesterday I received your book. I really like the way you have organized the material. I will be diging in it for some time.

Congratulations!

Thank you, sir.

User Info Menu

I'm having trouble with the sixth chord in 'A Foggy Day'. It's labeled as an 'F6', but written as an 'F11': C, Bb, Eb. Should I substitute an 'A' for the 'Bb' and a 'D' for the 'Eb' to make it an 'F6' or was 'F11' what the chord should have been labeled?
    Thanks for a great book!

Position mark error. (Thanks for the catch). Should be 4th position; tones D-C-F.

User Info Menu

Hi, again,

I'm also having trouble with the 7th chord, the D minor 7 flat 5. I tried changing positions, which is probably what will fix the problem, but since I don't know what notes are supposed to be in the chord, it made it a slow process. I looked for a root and a flatted 5th to no avail and gave up. PLease help me fix this problem, herkimer. Thanks.

The chord is proper as shown. Tones F-Eb-Ab (Has the shape of an F-7). In the context of the D-7b5 you will be sounding the b3rd, the b9th, and the b5th.

User Info Menu

I'm getting an F-Eb-G the way it's written. For an Ab on the 'B' string you have to play the 9th fret, not the 8th fret. I even used my Korg tuner to make sure I'm right...

Thanks, herkimer. The rest of 'Foggy Day' looks fine.
    Last edited by neilvmcc; 01-09-2015 at 05:17 PM.

F-Eb-G all lie on fret 8. The diagram shows tones sounded on frets 8 and 9.
    First finger is not used, but position (7th) is marked according to where the 1st finger naturally would fall.