Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Here's the version as requested. Most of it is borrowed from Harry Leahey's version on the Phil Woods CD, Song For Sysiphus.

There are some tricky fingerings like on the E minor passage especially where the first finger plays notes at both the 7th and 8th frets. Yes it's possible, it's just difficult. If you can't do it then leve out the B. The best fingering I've found for the Ami7b5 is 134 so that the 2 is fre to move to the G natural while holding the Eb and C.

The slurs indicate to hold your fingers in place. The chords in parentesis are for reference. One section back cycles while the other shows parralel chromatic movement in two voices. Those names are only for reference and should be looked at as moving lines rather than chords.

For those of you who never heard of Harry, he was the local Monster player for the NY NJ PA area He recorded with Phil Woods, Don Sebesky, Mark Murphy, Al Cohn and others. Check out his biography on AAJ. He passed in 1990. He played on Phil Woods grammy winning album "Live from the showboat" (1976)

Removed 8/11/09
    Last edited by JohnW400; 08-11-2009 at 12:57 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very, very nice job on Nuages, John!!

wiz
    Howie

User Info Menu

Hi John, thank you very much for this version, I can't wait to try it !

Cheers

User Info Menu

hey John...

was in a quartet back a few years ago...his daughter was our piano player...she played rather well too...

time spent playing your guitar is wonderful time...pierre..

User Info Menu

This is just great John, Thanks a lot !!!!!

Sailor

User Info Menu

Thank you John.
    I don't know when I will be able to play that, but I will surely try.

Yesterday I have tried to record my version of Nuages, but It was just very very bad. A disaster could be appropriated to the situation.
    I first try to connect my amplifier with my macbook pro + Garage band. It doesn't work.
    The, I tried with a video camera. It was really a disaster. I can't remember me playing so badly . Just impossible to play 2 chords in a proprer way.
    I gave up after one hour. I don't understand what happened yesterday evening.

I will try again .
    Ibanez AF125 AMB is a nice guitar. I feel better everyday !

User Info Menu

This is going to take some time; I hope it sounds OK at a nice slow tempo, not Django speed!

Sailor

User Info Menu

It's Rubato, with a pause between the repeats. It is strickly a solo piece.

Here's a link that has about 30 seconds of the recording that I borrowed a lot form. It comes in at the last A section

Song For Sisyphus free MP3, song download, lyrics, album track list

It's enough to give you an idea

User Info Menu

In the 3rd line; the first chord, Bbmi; to keep the top 2 notes ringing as you have them as half-notes, shouldn't the Bb note move up to C on the 4th string with the pinky, not the 3rd string?

User Info Menu

AHHHHHHHRRRGGGHHHHH a typo.

You are correct. That C should be 10th fret, same as the first measure on page 2.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll wait a few more days to see If anybody spots any others and correc the copy above.

User Info Menu

it IS, by the way, a thing of beauty you have there.

User Info Menu

Thank you.

I would not be the player I am today (which isn't saying much) without Harry Leahey who taught me all kinds of stuff. Everytime I see some book of concepts mentioned here I think, Yeah, Harry went over this with me. He has a son Jimmy that I hear is also a monster player. Aplle doesn't fall far from the tree

User Info Menu

Hello !

As promised, here is my version of Nuages.

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

This is my very first record. It is very far from perfection, but I wanted to share it with you and especially with John who gave me the motivation to try .
    Before to become a good player, I have to be a beginner first ! The same as for everybody.
    The sound is not so good . Next time it will be better !

I have tried to play the John's version, but it was to complicated. Finally, I have just tried to play it in my own way.
    I also tried to play it using so many "mikey Baker's" chords as possible, because I am currently working with his method and I wanted to combine the two exercices.

Thank in advance for your comments. They will help me to improve .

User Info Menu

Hi there Manu!
    Well, I'm so far from being good at it that I can't say anything really. But I think you got pretty nice sound for being a first time try! And, of course, I have an Ibanez AC myself, and love the playability and sound one can get by simply plugging the guitar directly into the computer and use the built in amps in garageband.
    I'll try to learn some chord melody stuff in the future, but for now it's enough studying scales, arps, chord sequences, and what have you. My brain isn't big enough to handle all at once.

Peace
    &
    Thanks for sharing mate
    Skei (the learning all the time, but time is never enough one)

User Info Menu

Manu68, do you realise that on Rapidshare the file can only be downloaded 10 times and you've already reached the limit so that link doesn't work now.(It still takes you to the site but it won't play the song) Have you got a Soundclick page or iCompositions?
    Maybe you can just upload the tune again, call it nuages 25 or whatever?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia View Post
    Manu68, do you realise that on Rapidshare the file can only be downloaded 10 times and you've already reached the limit so that link doesn't work now.(It still takes you to the site but it won't play the song) Have you got a Soundclick page or iCompositions?
    Maybe you can just upload the tune again, call it nuages 25 or whatever?
    Banksia,
    I don't think you can play it at rapidshare, just download, that's what I did anyway. Clicked the 'free' button after clicking the wav file name, and then wait 30 seconds, because it's free...
    Peace
    Skei (the'free' one)

User Info Menu

I think he is right .
    The link just doesn't work anymore.
    I will upload it again in a "proper" way.

I have created an account in soundclick.
    I will try to put my version of nuages here after my working day.
    Last edited by manu68; 02-13-2009 at 04:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Ok, I just had this strange feeling because I had to go through the 'free' procedure. Well another + with soundclick is you get to actually 'Play' the tune there and won't have to download it. Which is good for the poor among us (of which I am one) who can't afford fast lines, and have to wait 10 minutes for 9,5 megs.
    Peace
    Skei (the 'Misty' one)

User Info Menu

Hello ;

You can ear my version here.

manu68’s Profile » JazzMatrix.com

I will also try to open an account at soundclick, but currently it doesn't work.

You can all make your critics now !!

User Info Menu

I thought your tone was pretty good, version was good. You've got the foundations in place - both in your playing and in Nuages - so the rest is just practice. Beautiful looking guitar too.

User Info Menu

Nice renditions both, as already said manu yours just needs a bit more comfort level with the changes.
    jam on,
    Terry

User Info Menu

I have realized yesterday that I have a problem with the tuning of my guitar .
    The G string is not okay if tuned 440 with my tuner.
    It is very strange, because intonation is okay. (12th fret).

I have to tune it 437 to have from my point of view a "right" tuning.

May I have a problem with my tuner, my strings, ???
    How accurate are these kind of cheap boss tuner (mine is TU6 with needle)

otherwise, thanks for your comments. I know that I have a lot of work in front of me. I need to gain confidence and to practise a lot, with a right tuned guitar !!!!!

As Pierre would say, keep on playing