The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

There’s some good ideas here. Over 6 minutes and the song doesn’t even have a bridge!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

If I am doing a long solo gig I bring my trusty Berklee Pickstyle for Classical Book. It has many pieces by J.S. Bach and others. Also duets. Including some classical music adds variety. Maybe a Chet Atkins style tune also helps break the monotony of just one type of style. Most of my paid solo work in recent years has been retirement centers. I bring a boom box with Bennie Goodman with Charlie Christian and Billy Holliday and other styles popular with my audience. I find about fifty-fifty solo and with boom box works for me. Older people like music that was popular when they were young and happy. My rate is normally 125$ for about an hour of entertainment. This year covid has kept me home. When I lived in Kansas City I found out that the man who wrote and recorded Classical Gas was also playing retirement centers. Its fun to make people happy and get well paid for it!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    There’s some good ideas here. Over 6 minutes and the song doesn’t even have a bridge!

I saw JP play Summertime live several times - he always ended it with a smile & a comment along the lines of

'I've got a lot of versions of that tune' - back to back Flamenco & 'pinky rock' made it into one version I heard...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Bruce did a good masterclass lesson, well worth purchasing (I got it):

Bruce Forman - Solo Jazz Guitar Lesson - My Music Masterclass
    Thanks for the recommendation. I just purchased this and am enjoying the fact that it is more of a discussion where Bruce basically gives you the fishing pole and line and it's up to you to catch fish. It is not a "course" so to speak with detailed curriculum TAB and examples.

User Info Menu

Yes it’s basically a lot of great ideas and approaches for you to take away and work on.