The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 85 of 85

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    This is a great arrangement to play around with and change the harmony on any way you want. If anybody is interested, I could make a video when I get the time in which I talk through a couple of ways to harmonize some sections of it and different ways to approach playing it.
    What I am thinking of is taking a section of the arrangement and just trying different harmonic approaches, so we can hear what they sound like and what the process looks like (at least my process). I won't discuss The Formula, but will use what it does to create new harmony. I feel that, though what The Formula teaches wasn't invented by Conti (and he never claims to have done so), his way of presenting it is uniquely his and not mine to give away. I think there are limits to how long a video can be for YouTube and/or Conti's site, but if I just take a spot here and there to show people what you can do with The Formula and Conti's arrangement as a starting point for your own exploration, maybe all the discussion in this thread will make more sense. I really think that when you start experimenting and finding your own way to play it, Conti would be happy as a clam, so to speak.

Tony
    Sounds good to me, Tony. I'm not far into "The Formula" yet, so this arrangement has some moves I'm not used to. Which is what learning is all about! It would be great to hear some of the possible variations that appeal to you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Sounds good to me, Tony. I'm not far into "The Formula" yet, so this arrangement has some moves I'm not used to. Which is what learning is all about! It would be great to hear some of the possible variations that appeal to you.
    I will see what I can do with the little time I have. I just got home from work and have to head out right away for band practice. Ihave to be up early for a meeting at work tomorrow, so I won't be up late tonight. Then, this weekend is booked ad next week, it is back to work. The irony of all this is that those who can afford nice guitars and amps, don't have the time to do much with them because thse kinds of jobs take up the time. Then again, from what I see around me, those who DON'T have those "good" jobs, end up working two or three to make ends meet, so I guess it is a case of "6 of one, have a dozen of the other", as the saying goes. My older brother is a janitor. When the transmission in his car needed work, he had to work weekends at a second job to pay for it, and he may still be doing that. I just recently wrote a check for $1500 for my car repairs (normal wear such as 4 tires, front bearings, and brakes at about 140,000 miles) without blinking an eye, so I guess we are all in it somehow.

By the way, another movement to that first G6 chord can be an E minor 7 or dominant (since the D is the b7), or diminished 7. Whatever sound you like. I could sit here all night and continue tossing out various ideas on that movement alone. That is when this stuff really gets to be fun.

Tony

User Info Menu

By the way, another movement to that first G6 chord can be an E minor 7 or dominant (since the D is the b7), or diminished 7. Whatever sound you like. I could sit here all night and continue tossing out various ideas on that movement alone. That is when this stuff really gets to be fun.

Tony
    I believe you, but I'm not there yet. I will be, though...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I believe you, but I'm not there yet. I will be, though...
    Well, there is really no reason you HAVE to go to a G6 chord either. You can just toss that and create your chordal path! The sky's the limit once you grab hold of what The Formula is all about. Anyway, all in good time. I am still learning - that never ends.

Tony

User Info Menu

Well, there is really no reason you HAVE to go to a G6 chord either. You can just toss that and create your chordal path! The sky's the limit once you grab hold of what The Formula is all about. Anyway, all in good time. I am still learning - that never ends.

Tony
    That's why I'm taking it slow. I tell myself, "This is learning for a lifetime. Get it right now, from the beginning."

User Info Menu

Sounds like a plan.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a plan.
    I believe it's a good one. God knows I've hatched some lulus in my day.

User Info Menu

Wow, this thread is pushing 2,000 views. I've got this piece down now. Yay! Took longer than I expected but I'm new to chord melody and must be patient. Once I have several pieces down, they should come easier.

User Info Menu

Video? :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bennybeebop
    Video? :-)
    There is a video of Conti's breakdown of this.