The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 83

User Info Menu

Thank you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just noticed that the 6th string(low E) has to be tuned to D.

So is there a way to play these w/o tuning to D?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    So is there a way to play these w/o tuning to D?
    I haven't checked, but two ways of doing this come to my mind:

1. Transpose everything up a whole step. Then you can use the open E string. This would be just a problem if there are also other voicings with open strings in the arrangement.
    2. Play all the low D's one octave higher, either with the open 4th string or fingered on A or E string. Then you probably have to change the voicing and omit some of the notes (except the top not, of course).

The first way will stay pretty close to the original, while in the second way, you'll definitely loose quite a bit of the "character".

I would try the low D, because once you get used to the changed position of the notes on the 6th string, it's really fun. And the guitar sounds huge this way. Also quite a few solo guitar pieces are written that way.

BTW: Check out Jordi Farres. He did a transcription book from George van Eps recordings and placed all the notes from the 7th string on the 5th string and it sounds quite cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    I just noticed that the 6th string(low E) has to be tuned to D.
    For all the tunes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    For all the tunes?
    ...most.

User Info Menu

thank you!

User Info Menu

I would note that there are significant differences in the tabbed version of the Debussy and the notated version. In some instances, the differences are things like octave-displacements (which, although not earth-shaking, do change the contour of the line).

The notated version seems to track the original (as written by Debussy himself) a little more closely. It may be found here:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Pr%C3%A9ludes_...ebussy,_Claude)

The "Fille aux Cheveux de Lin" is the particular prelude you are looking for.

User Info Menu

Incredible !!! Thanks !!!

User Info Menu

Johnny Smith is amazing and this book is a gem.... Thanks for sharing !!

User Info Menu

you can also do what I did
    buy it burn it resell it so others can get their hands on it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    For all the tunes?

Johnny Smith's standard tuning was with the 6th string tuned to D, according to published interviews. He played many songs in A, E, D (or their minors) to take advantage of the open strings.

I remember my jazz guitar teacher telling me it was more hip for guitarists to play in keys like Bb, Eb, Ab, Db than in the "guitar" keys... and here's Johnny Smith, one of the grand masters of the instrument and someone who Charlie Parker used to go hear in clubs in New York, playing in the guitar keys. Of course, Johnny could have played any song he knew in any key like many jazz musicians.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Johnny Smith's standard tuning was with the 6th string tuned to D, according to published interviews. He played many songs in A, E, D (or their minors) to take advantage of the open strings.

I remember my jazz guitar teacher telling me it was more hip for guitarists to play in keys like Bb, Eb, Ab, Db than in the "guitar" keys... and here's Johnny Smith, one of the grand masters of the instrument and someone who Charlie Parker used to go hear in clubs in New York, playing in the guitar keys. Of course, Johnny could have played any song he knew in any key like many jazz musicians.
    Johnny did transpose a lot of songs to take advantage of open strings. But like Barney Kessel once said during a "Great Guitars" interview, "If we know a song we know it in all keys".

To me, being able to transpose is one of the more important skills a player can have. I was playing a one off gig one night and the leader who also sang, called Ipanema in Db. It was interesting.

Back on topic, that Johnny Smith book is an absolute treasure.

User Info Menu

thanks!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks, jseaberry, it's like stepping back in time. I took guitar lessons back in the 50s and if I did my lesson well, the teacher gave me some Johnny Smith or Barney Kessel licks as a reward. Great Moments!

User Info Menu

It's great to find this here; I plan on working on a few of the arrangements. Five of them are on the CD below which I happen to have.

Amazon.com: Smith, Van Eps: Legends: Solo Guitar Performances: Music

User Info Menu

awesome :-)
    just what I was looking for!!!!

User Info Menu

Hi,

I'm new to this wonderful site, how/where do I download this Johnny Smith Chord Solo Book you've put up?

User Info Menu

For those of you interested in transcriptions of Johnny Smith arrangements, there is a very nice compilation of more than a dozen tunes. You can find a PDF file here (in the comments section):

Al Owens has recorded several of these tunes and posted videos on YouTube. Definitely worth checking out.
    Last edited by jfcx; 03-11-2017 at 10:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Just downloaded the Johnny Smith Chord Solo book fantastic! Thank you!

User Info Menu

Hey I don't see the download link did this get taken down?

User Info Menu

Hello, I just joined the forum, but don't see a link to any music form the post about Johnny Smith... it was a few yrs back, but thought I'd ask. - Jeff

User Info Menu

Many many thanks Jseaberry!
    I post my little contribution in tribute to his genius

HB

User Info Menu

love johnny smith playing is this chord sole book available for to buy/ obtain /down load

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Does nobody care about copyright?