The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

I believe that in an issue of Guitar Techniques in 2000 (I forget the month, not at my home computer) they published the tab of Martin Taylor's arrangement of Neal Hefti's "Li'l Darlin'".

I've emailed the publishers, but they have no back issues of the magazine in question. Does anyone on here have that tab? It's a superb arrangement (there's an example of it on YouTube) and I'd love to have it. I can get so far trying to work it out from the Youtube vid, but not far enough.

Thank you.

PS I don't yet know the etiquette of the forum, so if requesting tabs is frowned on, my apologies.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

if requesting tabs was frowned on I would have been blacklisted from this site long ago. I just beg for them....

User Info Menu

Enjoy

User Info Menu

Thanks Pepper. I figured out an arrangement of my own, but this looks better.

User Info Menu

Cool, glad I could help.

User Info Menu

Thanx very much pepper - this is my first post - I have been looking for this arrangement ever since I lost my copy of Guitar techniques like 6 years ago. Again, thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper
    Enjoy
    I was looking for that as well, thank you ever so much Pepper! Now I'm your bitch for life!!
    Do you have more of such Martin Taylor's arrangements for Guitar Techniques?

User Info Menu

Now I'm your bitch for life!!
    Well, you deserved it

Cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks again Pepper!

I believe these Martin Taylor's arrangements excerpts from Guitar Techniques are one of the best ways for an intermediate-level guitarist to migrate to the jazzy side.
    If someone has more, it'd be lovely see some more of them here!
    I have myself Taylor's "Chillin' With Oscar" and Django's "Tears", which I will soon scan and post here for forummates to learn and play

User Info Menu

Thanks Pepper!

User Info Menu

Which Martin Taylor CD is this version from?

User Info Menu

I agree with you, Iun, these are helpful to learning. If you remember the older Guitar Techniques issues, back when jazz was not a semi-dirty word, there was a monthly column by Frank Evans with a fine jazz arrangement. He has passed away, but there is a book of his arrangements available in the UK, from Bebops Music Exchange. I have bought things from Phil Jones, who runs it, but I don't have this book. I don't find the book in the US, but Phil will send it to you. Look under "Great Jazz Standards" here:

Tutors, Transcripts & Play-Alongs - updated September 2009

User Info Menu

I probably should of asked... does anyone have a mp3 file of this arrangement?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jseaberry
    If you remember the older Guitar Techniques issues, back when jazz was not a semi-dirty word, there was a monthly column by Frank Evans with a fine jazz arrangement.
    They still do a jazz column in GT ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund
    I probably should of asked... does anyone have a mp3 file of this arrangement?
    I do have the cd for sure somewhere. I'll try to do some archeological digging tomorrow

User Info Menu

Hi

New member here - good to be on board

Iun - did you ever publish the 'Chillin with Oscar' transcription?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund
    Which Martin Taylor CD is this version from?
    It's definitely on Solo, but I can't swear that the arrangement is from that version.

User Info Menu

thx pepper.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone… I'm a newbie, first time post!
    I noticed your interest in the song Lil Darlin. I love Joe Pass's version and just yesterday found the transcription posted on youtube.
    Here's the link.

The sheet music scrolls by in time with Joe's recording. Resolution is high, so screen capture works well.

hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

Cheers,
    Grazer

User Info Menu

That is wonderful!! Thank you!

User Info Menu

Thanks Grazer, that's Joe Pass at his best.

User Info Menu

Anybody know how you can print this out?

User Info Menu

Hi jseaberry,
    You can't print from the youtube clip, but it is recorded at 1280px resolution, so what I did was to do multiple screen captures… pause the clip - grab, then go to the next 'frame' (on a Mac it's cmd-opt-4… drag to select - done! The tricky bit is to recombine the screen grabs. I did it in photoshop, adding a bit of sharpness to make it clearer. Hope this helps. It is a long way around, but not as long as transcribing the whole thing! LOL
    cheers

User Info Menu

Thank you, Kind Sir!!! I'll try that!

User Info Menu

that is a work of beauty

User Info Menu

Hey,

What do the markings CO and MU mean?

Peace,
    Kevin